EVOLVED | DIY Clone | 2x 5065 | 2x FOCBOX | 8s 8ah | Original Evolve Parts

Oh, can you show me how its gonna be rewired, if it doesnt require you to open your enclosure ofcourse :slight_smile:

What do you mean? :slight_smile:

You had to re-wire the sensor cables to the JST to fit the focbox right? :slight_smile:

Oh, I already did that before I upgraded to FOCBOX’es. It’s the same as on the MayTechs VESC’s. The important part is the 5v and GND, the rest doesn’t matter. (as long as there’s no temp sensor) :slight_smile:

The green wire on the right in the image, goes to the red one on the motor. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cool appriciate it! thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You along with the weather motivated me to finish mine aswell :wink: Thanks for the help with sensorcables!

First testrun!

2 Likes

F I N A L L Y found a perfect connector for balancing! I’ve been looking everywhere for a 11+ pin connector that was not too big and looked pretty. I found the Hirose HR10A connector in China, and it’s even a push pull connector :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: image It fits nicely in the evolve enclosure :+1:

6 Likes

Awesome looking build!

1 Like

Expect an update Saturday or Sunday :sunglasses:

A little story…

A peaceful day when I was making my new charging connector system, the disastrous thing happened. While building it, I wanted to check if I had soldered all the connections correctly, so I got my multimeter and started measuring. Oh boy was that a mistake. A little PSA is; measure the connections for continuity instead of measuring the voltage on a connector connected to the battery. My hands were shaking just a fraction too much, and I touched two (maybe more) of the pins, shorting the balance connector. Hell broke loose and the connector was suddenly a flame of about 30cm instead.

I was thinking “shitshitshitshit what do I do…” and in the panic I put the flaming board out on my balcony. Problem is that I live on 8th floor so this was extra scary. However the problem was not dealt with yet, as now there was a board on fire on my balcony. Luckily I had a fire extinguisher with powder so I could put out the fire. Damn. Scary stuff.

IMG_2040

The deck itself took some damage, but I was able to repair it by sanding it down, getting a new foam mat from Evolve, and repainting the back side (now in matte black instead of glossy :heart_eyes:) (Sorry, no pic of the fresh deck)

IMG_2099

Alright, so the connector was no more, so I went back to my trusty VGA connector, but I revised the design and made a 2.0 version of both the board side and the cable side. (My other build The Frankenboard got this update as well). Came out great! (and no fires :wink:) Already a little dirty. :hugs:

IMG_0059

While is was at it, I refined the internals completely. I got the custom FOCBOX heatsink from @BoostedBuilder and it is just fantastic. Takes the build to a whole other level. :heart_eyes:

IMG_2115

I also redid all the internal connections for easier disassembly and reassembly. As you probably noticed if you’ve been following the thread, I got some AT wheels as well. So here’s some pictures of the final build. :tada:

IMG_0056 IMG_0057 IMG_0058

As you can see, I 3D printed a riser for the enclosure, and while it not only looks good, it makes everything fit snug and perfect. While I was at it, and since my trucks didn’t come with the “GT” logos inserted, I also 3D printed my own logo for a personal touch. These is spray painted in chrome silver :smiley:

Untitled

Thanks for following :smiley:

12 Likes

Ho boy, that hurts to see such a photo :confused:

1 Like

So, how’s that performance compare to a genuine Evolve? :smirk:

I’ve only tried an Evolve once, and fell off on the non-smooth accelleration, it really jerked away under my feet… so I can’t say. :slight_smile:

Well I was poking fun. The VESC are way better.

1 Like

I thought so :wink:

Nice build ! How’s the fit on your 3d printed riser ? I had one printed from files I found online but the fit / finish is bad. Anyway you could share your files or charge me to print one for me ?

I found this on thingiverse, but I had to print it at 101% scale to make it fit perfectly. :slight_smile: To get this finish I sanded and painted it

Is this the one ? If it is maybe I’ll try having it printed at 101%. Mine required a lot of enlarging the holes and some of the side pieces bulge out. Also did you print in PLA or ABS ?

Yup, exactly that one. I printed in 101% scale with a 0,6mm nozzle, using PLA material.

1 Like

I have a friend that has a Evolve GT that he ran into the water by accident. Needless to say I am having to source a new vesc x2 and BMS for him. The battery is ok. My question for you all since I know nothing about Evolve is can you use the remote and pair it up to another receiver? I’m trying to save my buddy some money if I can.