Evolve R2 remote is garbage

3 R2 remotes have failed on me! The following issues have happened on my remotes. It gets stuck on one mode, it freezes then doesn’t turn off, acceleration lags if you are pushing the accelerator a little, cut offs into safe made and the worst part is that after the 3rd usage these remotes don’t connect to my board for 15 min or they don’t connect at all again. My R1 connects to my GTX like nothing and is super reliable. Now evolve wants me to send my board back at my own expenses when it’s still under warranty. What do you guys think? I never get cut offs or connection issues with the R1. Do you think it’s the board or the remote? Also I forgot to mention that I restarted the trigger values for each of these remotes and it doesn’t change anything.

4 Likes

Half the problem is the receiver is built into the esc and using their blueooth/rf combo is where most people (especially those in cities) seem to have lots of issues. The new remote obviously doesn’t fix that. Seems like the only thing they fixed was the better form factor and better acceleration/brake curve. I sold my CGT a couple months ago and don’t regret it one bit. I never truly felt safe on the board because of the remote disconnect issues and i had the board shut off on a hill because of voltage sag… the battery was just garbage (extreme voltage sag if you rode hard so i’d get like 10 true miles out of the CARBON with street wheels)… sure you could get 15-20 miles with street wheels but half the ride would have to be in ECO. NO THANKS!!!

1 Like

Yeah I’m not gonna lie about the battery sag. It’s horrendous! As for the connectivity with the board and the remotes I live in NYC and the R1 has never cut off on me lol. The r2 is just trash man :confused: I also have had other issues with evolves quality. Their hubs for AT are pretty much trash and for first R1 I got, accelerator cracked and I take very good care of my remote. Thanks God, I got a replacement but that should of cracked after a month of purchase. If I could go back in time I probably would of gone with building my own board :confused:

1 Like

Rarely, Dude I’m also on my second R2 and live in NY. My GTX never lost connection to my R1. Then one day the R2 just stopped working. It would say connected but the wheels / motors would just not spin. Then I got a second R2 and check this… Yesterday I was riding fine then all of a sudden the fucking trigger got stuck down!! I had to jump off at 19mph. My ankle is busted this morning. Thank god I was able to run it off. I didn’t face plant or fall. Really disappointed cause it’s a better remote in design. I don’t feel safe now

1 Like

As far a s battery sag I must say this. I’ll take my GTX over other boards any day. My Boosted V2 stays home unless weather is questionable. I can ride the GTX until my legs get tired and I basically quit which is like and hour and half. That’s sick. I weigh 200lbs with the book back and all. Last Friday I rode from 18th st 6th ave to 210th st Inwood which was a 10 mile ride. The hills are insanely steep. I got there on %50 juice left. I plugged her in and banged out some margaritas for an hour or two then went back home :slight_smile: I would’ve had to stop 4 times to charge the Boosted…

1 Like

LMFAOO bro the same thing happened with my trigger on the first R2 they sent me. I was going 10-15mph on the bike lane and a red light was coming and I had to struggle to release the trigger. Evolve told me you had to loosen it the screws a little as for the trigger was to tight :joy::joy::joy:. The remote should come perfect from factory lol. And I’m not gonna lie that evolve has one of the best range out there, it’s only that the sag kicks in when you are trying to stay in the top speeds of which ever wheel you are using.

Oh wtf yeah it should come perfect I’m going to loosen those screws a bit now that I know. Yeah that was scary as fuck my ankle is busted this morning 19mph is hard to run off. :-/

1 Like

If I could go back in time, I’d have skipped the Evolve and just got the Metroboards first and then built my own.

Not true. I can easily get more range from one of my Metroboards than from my Carbon GT. Easily. And with the equivalent of being in “GT” mode

1 Like

Lol I forgot about metroboard 40 mile range. I didn’t get metro for 3 reasons. Super ugly, looks heavier (which it is? don’t remember the specs for the top of the line one) and it takes about 2-3 weeks for them to get your board ready and sent. My commute consist of going up the 59th street bridge and before I got my evolve I rode a bike for the past 4 years and I grind hard and my knees started to kill me afterwards so I really didn’t want to wait for metro.

If you ask, they can come with a 58 mile range. If heavy is a problem, get one with a smaller battery. You can get an evolve-sized battery too :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

They are just so ugly though :sob::sob::sob: should of made an all black one from factory

same here, got a gtx and threw me off at 15mph. cant explain what happened, it was like it applied breaks for half a second and then kept going.

1 Like