Evolve GT | Problems & Solutions

the wattage limit is because they don’t discriminate between lipo packs and li-ion cylindrical cells. I’ve seen a lot of lipo packs explode or catch fire, but rarely see anything for 18650’s. Technically though people bring lipo packs hundreds of thousands of times per day through laptops, phones, etc and they rarely cause issues. Maybe someone can get a specific set of rules made for cylindrical cells or packs with a built in protection system such as cell level fusing or cell vents.

got my GT weeks ago in Germany. I notice several issues.

1. board shuts off randomly. (even during a ride today)
  2. connection loss to the remote. (going uphill its more noticeable, happened 8 times already)
4 Likes

Sounds like problem #1 is a symptom of problem #2. If you’re getting connection dropouts while you’re on the board or within a couple of meters of it, there’s something up with the remote. If you can reproduce the problem reliably, take it back for Evolve to have a look at, because that’s definitely not normal.

700 miles in a couple of weeks !

1 Like

50 miles a day apparently.

2 Likes

Sounds like you are experiencing the same issues that I have been experiencing and am still experiencing after getting it back from Evolve. My board seems to randomly, but consistently shut off after just a short amount of riding. I sent it back, and they “couldn’t recreate the issue.” However they said they replaced all the electronics and relocated the heat sensor. Upon getting it back, it seems to be worse than before I sent it. I have sustained injuries and my stuff has sustained damage due to the board cutting out on me. They act like they have no idea what is going on or how to fix it, but I will be sending it back in again. So you ultimately requested a refund? Or do you think there is a fix or just a critical product flaw?

3 Likes

I am experiencing the same issues even after sending it back to Evolve. A board that randomly shuts down with no consistency or warning is unacceptable to me and extremely dangerous especially since I live and ride in an urban environment. Hope they figure this out asap!

1 Like

Hello everyone… great forum. Got my gt second wave and have been ridin every chance i get… very happy with it… Bornagainskater, any luck with your board man? I’m getting a similar noise. Doesn’t fckn sound good and very tough to locate. Secondly, anyone else find the 97mm street wheels to be noisy? Is that the spacer rattling in there? Thanks.

1 Like

What bearings do you use on street/AT? And if you’re having the clicking issue on AT lube the wheel where the bearings sit with white lithium grease.

Welcome! Sounds like things are well except for noise issues. I have tried the GT with a lot if wheels and wheel sizes. The street 97mm is no different for me, are you talking about the ABEC 11 or clones? Best way to check is swap out bearings on side with most noise. Maybe bearings with built in spacers so takes the spacer fit rattle out if equation. Refitting and swapping around the existing bearings changes noise sometimes. Or service the bearings if they are not new, or switch to or borrow a pair of ceramics and see difference. Some combo of problem solving like this should diagnose the noise, as it is not normal experience for 97mm street wheels imo

1 Like

who else got a refund from GT?

1 Like

Thanks for the replys… still using original bearings, but noise was there from the get go… board rolled smoothly though… and streed mode is so awesome I just put on my ear buds and ripped! Going to first try cleaning/lube, then will try new bearings… keep you posted. Would still like to hear from bornagainskater though… Thanks again

Just found this online. Maybe it will help.

2 Likes

fwiw, I have had the board a few weeks with 97mm abecs and its been great.

1 Like

I understand that BoardsportRN is upset by his bad experience, but seems like there is also a lot of people that do enjoy their boards.

He is correct that the person in the video is a evolve ambassador. I only posted the video to possibly assist people find a solution to their problem. The negativity is a little heavy bud. If it works to help one person enjoy their board or ride…what’s it matter who posts the video. I would look at the video a little more glass half full, as in they are giving tips and tricks on how to repair and maintain.

2 Likes

Maybe they dont want to admit the shut off issue as they dont have that easy fix and like you have more returns. It would cost them alot if alot more GTs were returned. But not all are pushing it that hard that they are getting shut off from the sounds of it.

I think there are alot more GT owners that are satisfied with their purchase.

3 Likes

Every board experiences voltage sag on some level. The GT tends to sag a lot due to the massive acceleration/high current draw on it. It’s not abnormal for the GT to sag, but it’s not as healthy for the cell life for it to sag so much. That said the pack is rated for 80a continuous draw, which the GT draws that or less by my guess. The big problem lies with the heat generated by the cells which decay life as well.

My GT never really got hot and I had no electronic issues with mine whatsoever. I did have my board crack for no reason, but my electronics were solid.