Evolve GT | Problems & Solutions

Hi Michaelinvegas

I’ve taken the front apart but have not noticed any cracks. I did manage to take the speed rings off the front and replace them. The vibrations are still there :weary:

Humm … Have you had someone stand on it… Sometime cracks aren’t apparent when they are not under stress…

Other than this…I have no clue…but being Mr. Obvious …there’s something fucked up with your board lol

I had a manufacturing defect with one of the grip-plate screws on my Evolve Carbon GT. The hole tapped for the screw was too big, it had either been tapped with the wrong size or the screw somehow pulled and stripped some of the internal threading. Here is a video of what the problem looked like:

The only way to fix this permanently is to either re-tap the hole to a bigger size (The standard screws are M4x12mm countersunk hex bolts) and stick a bigger screw (ie. M5) into it, or attempt to repair the threading with something like a heli-coil kit. Because this was a manufacturing defect I could have sent it back to Evolve to have it fixed but their store is over an hour drive from me and I don’t own a car; alternatively it’s $20 each way to courier my board to them and have it returned, so $40 minimum to get them to fix it. So I did what any poor person does and try to fix it myself.

I firstly tried purchasing a M5x12mm bolt to see if that would fit - I couldn’t get it to tighten down very far because these bolts have a different thread pitch than their smaller cousins and are significantly fatter. So the next thing I tried was to cut half of the thread off that bolt and try again - still no go. The threading pitch is just too different. I looked into getting a heli-coil repair done but was told that in order to get the basic heli-coil kit and some thread inserts would be at least $80+. To get a professional to fix it starts at $88. So the next most viable option is to buy a 5mm hand-tap kit and re-tap the hole to 5mm at a cost of about $11, but I wasn’t too excited about having an odd-sized bolt on the board. So in a last ditch attempt to make the M4 bolt hold it down while still being able to remove it for maintenance later, I took a section of plastic drinking straw the length of the bolt thread and cut a section out of it so that the curled section matched the internal diameter of the thread and dropped the straw into the screw hole. I then screwed the original M4 screw into the hole with the straw as a shim around the outside which massively improved the fit and so far is holding the bolt in place. A fix for free!

As an aside - it is well worth checking that your grip-panel is being held securely onto your board if you have a carbon deck, because if it isn’t, all sorts of dust/dirt/stones and WATER will get inside, and the molded cavity in there that holds circuit boards, wires and batteries doesn’t have any drainage holes, so if it starts taking in water or a spilled can of coke, it will wreck the electronics and make for a very expensive repair.

Here’s what the board looks like with the hood off! Because I had that loose screw for a few weeks, the electronics bay had dust and little stones in it which I vacuumed out. Glad I got curious and took it apart before something more serious happened.

3 Likes

sneak peak at what cells they are using @asuras ?

Forgot the company name but they are not Samsung cells…it’s some random chinese battery maker lol

2 Likes

$2000 board and they can’t use brand name cells? :rage:

3 Likes

They have to make a profit from somewhere with the risk of possible issues

Evolve sell a retail product, of course they wouldn’t use “Brand name” batteries.

not sure what this means. A lot of well established brands use quality name brand cells for their products.

Doesn’t seem to be that many “well established” brands of esk8?

That’s besides the point. Tesla sells a retail product, and they use Panasonic cells. Not sure what having a retail product and using quality cells has to do with each other.

lol thats a car and it costs heaps!

Evolve could have used Panasonic cells but then the price would be higher. They have to keep costs down to compete with all the new companies.

Tesla basically owns the market at this time. Tesla probably use Panasonic because they are big enough to supply them with enough product.

I still don’t agree that it’s obvious that retail boards don’t use brand name cells. You don’t have to be big to use quality cells, just look at enertion.

4 Likes

Not because Tesla is big. Panasonic is big enough to supply tesla. They make heaps of cars, need heaps of batteries.

Not really the point of this forum though.

The point is I haven’t heard heaps of people having problems with GT batteries. Mine still holds charge well. Board still goes hard as advertised. (just because it’s chinese doesn’t mean it’s automatically crap)

1 Like

It does mean potential fire hazards. I wouldnt want to be charging it overnight. Look what happened to this hoverboard batteries. Some guys house caught on fire due to one of those things exploding.

That’s reaching a bit to compare it to a hoverboard battery lol. I charge overnight all the time and haven’t had issues. Trust me if there was one we would of heard of it by now. I’m more concerned about the motors/wheels/bms/deck…all having their quirks at the moment working on solutions for all of it.

2 Likes

Seeing that inside of the GT makes me feel better about the inside of my DIY enclosure. I also have hot glue all over the place!

3 Likes

It could just be those 2 dollar plastic alibaba stroller wheels they used on the GT making all of that noise. Guaranteed that plastic hub is flexing all over the place.

3 Likes

Id beg to argue. Thats the whole issue with the limited Wha for carry on for planes. It would seem they may not work well on fast chargers.

Interestizng issues with your GT