Evolve GT | Problems & Solutions

Not to get on your case, but if I was Evolve customer support, I would have done the same thing. Have you seen that guy’s trucks and board? The board is f**king destroyed! I ride my Carbon GT every day while flying up driveway lips on flywheels and I only have some small chips on the trucks and slight abrasions to the deck - nowhere near as bad as his.

I’m taking Evolve USA’s side because I talk to them fairly often and they are genuinely some of the nicest people I have ever dealt with. I crashed my skateboard at 24 mph into a brick wall and broke the front truck arm in half and when I told them, they sent out a replacement for free without even asking me. When I told them I dropped my remote and I was having connection issues, Brandon told me to be careful and offered me a replacement for free - I declined because I realized it was my fault, I just had to re-pair it. Trust me, they make sure to take care of you.

Same issue here, and I bought the board from a friend that bought it in April of 2017, but decided it is to dangerous for him. I am from Romania, the board was bought from UK, and they claim the warranty is not transferable, so even though the board is 3 months old, I have no more warranty on it.

I decided to open it up and found an unfinished BLDC controller, with 1 Buck converter around LM2596HVS (which is piece by piece copied from the aliexpress product) to step down from 36V to 12 V, which is further routed to the input of an 78L05 linear regulator, for the comparator, microcontroller, and PWM drivers 5V, and then another linear regulator for the NRF transceiver 3.3V.

Gosh, this is a hell of an energy waste for a battery powered application.

Second point would be the motor’s control which is purely based on HALL sensors, and nothing to do with FOC in my oppinion, the feedback from the phases of the motor does not reach the input of the microcontroller to read the Back EMF, the voltage divider from these traces are missing…

So now I am just an unhappyowner of an Evolve GT Carbon street board which sometimes works, but I can not trust it…

I will however be glad to put my oscilloscope on the UART lines between the BMS and control board to try understanding the protocol, and planing to reuse the whole thing except the motor controller for my own motor controller, and maybe after that, a better battery pack, and a better remote.

I hope everyone who reads this understands that this board is an unfinished product and should be a prototype on developer’s bench, and not even for testing phase yet.

This product does not worth more than 800USD IMHO, but is sold for the ridiculous price of 2000USD, at least in Europe.

Not to mention that on my board, the DC Bus capacitors had desoldered terminals on two of them caused of bad cold soldering process!!!

Shame Evolve, Shame!!!

4 Likes

well, I guess it depends where you live, who you know, and how lucky you are…it is not my case…3 month old Carbon GT…

To be clear, Changing under warranty, for me ot means that the client shouldn’t support shipping costs for the broken part shipping to them, and the replacement back to client, unless you are available to throw money for a second board on transactions of broken to new prone to failure designed parts.

So someone sent me a photo of their Evolve 97’s who else is having an issue … just curious

Hey guys, I just got my GT and my board sometimes does not turn on, and when it does turn on, it only stays on for about out 5 or 10 minutes, and then doesn’t turn on again… Has anybody has this problem? I opened the board, and it looked like everything was properly connected, but it keeps doing it, up to the point where I don’t feel safe riding it because it may power down & the brakes won’t work. feedback would be appreciated ASAP, as I do use this board for transportation everyday

LMAO, you should see my GT carbon wheels…actually…here you go!

now I have yet another start of a problem…the small pulleys on the motors started developing tolerance play, and IDK how to get them off, because i cAn’t see any screw…just the hole full with something…

Set screw, use an Allen wrench to loosen then pull off

found it, I have used a hobby grinder tool to remove the filling from the hole, careful not to round the screw head, and under that i have found a 1.5 size hex screw…this small tool took it out:

Thanks, I will put it back with some threadlock while waiting for my 200KV and 20T drive pulley…

Just now digging back through the threads, does anyone have handy a source for replacement motors for Evolve CGT? I remember them perhaps being the same as Ollin 5065’s Also someone had swapped out for red Maytech ones? Any guidance on what works, and links (even to old thread I can’t seem to find lol)? Thanks!

They’re Brother Hobby 140kv motors. Similar to Ollin’s but Ollin’s lowest kv is 170, though that will work and be a bit faster.

I believe these are the ones that work: http://m.ebay.com/itm/182421641096?_mwBanner=1

Thanks @Jinra and @mccloed was scouring as @chaka was sold out of his lowest KV 5065 17KV. $200ea from Evolve, but not sure I can wait until late August. Looks like Banggoods can get it to me in 5-8 business days, anyone had luck with them and can trust their expedited shipping estimates?

Not knowing much but about the insides of these motors, the pile of this one has become loose and sloppy. Now just noise but probably getting progressively worse. Anyone can tell me what is happening here, how to fix or avoid it in future? Not sure if has to do with bearing or just got whacked hard and now will be off unless replaced. Need to upload Quick video of how pushing the motor pulley and pole moves intward a few mm. Any guidance much apppreciated, thanks!

definitely need a video

I have those motors. Works good, but I have only rode the board like twice and for very short trips. I prefer my custom.

Ok think this will post. Starting to make noise as I ride them now. Hoping this is not going to seize in me at 20mph lol

Ok got a video of the noise while riding, though almost wiped out filming my feet and not looking. Short video is pushing pole and movement, longer video is sound while riding.

Oof, that’s not good. Noise = contact, contact = friction, friction = heat, and heat = dead motor…

Could you take a video of it indoors while not riding (bench testing) and try to isolate the problem motor.

Thanks, will head back in and keep an eye on motor heat (as am about 5 miles out lol) and bench tea video later today.

try these ones: High Quality Racerstar 5065 BRH5065 140KV 6-12S Brushless Motor Without Gear For Balancing Scooter