Evolve GT | Problems & Solutions

same thing here

Hey All,

This is a brand new Carbon GT. While riding Iā€™ve noticed strange lags between the controller and the motor. Can a few other Carbon GT owners take a look at my video and let me know if this is indeed faulty behavior? Or is it normal?

Thanks!

2 Likes

That doesnā€™t seem normal at all to me man. How do you pair your remote? I always turn the board on first and then hold the left button until i see the the pairing symbol. Make sure that you donā€™t press the trigger at all until it is fully paired and you see the battery percentage.

1 Like

Hi! We are a lot with the same problem check this: https://evolveforums.com/threads/got-thrown-off-the-gt-board-took-off-without-my-command-petition-to-evolve-to-fix-remote.260/

1 Like

Definitely faulty, I have had my CGT since launch week in the US and have never experienced even a tiny bit of lag. Contact Evolve, that thing can send you flying off the board in no time. Too dangerous to ride as is.

1 Like

This is the message that I got back from Evolve. I followed the process, and my first ride since was smooth, but Iā€™ll need a few days to determine if the problem is truly solved. Thanks everybody!

Thank you for your email, it was forwarded to me in tech support.

What I am guessing is that when you turned on your board, you may have touched the trigger or moved the board before the complete pair took place. This, or resyncing incorrectly. Its very common, as we like to jump on our boards before they completely pair.

It most likely just needs to be resynced now so that it completely finds its neutral point, and keep in mind when turning on the board thereafter, never touch anything (especially the remote) during the process until the board finds the pair on its own so as not to disturb the neutral point.

Here is the correct syncing procedure that we use here: Pairing tips and procedure:

The Board should have already been synced.

Here is the way I sync all boards:

1. Turn on board FIRST. The blue led will begin flashing from the power button.
  2. Turn on remote by pressing and holding right button until EVOLVE logo appears and initial screen is displayed but not showing battery percentage yet.
  1. Then, immediately press and HOLD the left button until the battery percentage screen appears. Making sure to not let go until you see a battery percentage appear.

IMPORTANT Note: Make sure the entire time, you are NOT touching the trigger or the board, so it finds its neutral point. Even when turning on thereafter before each ride, do not touch anything until pairing is complete and battery percentage pops up on the screen.

Let me know if that corrects the issue. You should be able to notice a smoother modulation on a bench test even before riding, if paired correctly.

Here is a video Link to assist in the correct procedure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki3WCIa8sx0

Kind regards,

Brandon

3 Likes

My Bamboo GT has been flawless over ~10 charge cycles, and I just received the Carbon GT yesterday (not yet tested). I hope Evolve makes your UPS issue right. I once had them destroy a custom mountain bike build-box was splayed open & looked like a truck had run over it. Bike frame was damaged, and I had to wait for a new build. It is the shippers responsibility here in the US to file a claim with the carrier THEY contracted to deliver the board. Is there some reason you had to file the claimā€¦international shipment, maybe? Evolveā€™s note does say ā€œwe have filed a claim from this end tooā€. That box looks like it got wet and soft, and I think it would take more pressure than a hard drop to break that base plate. Finish damage on the deck should warrant a replacement if itā€™s a new product. That is where the situation goes south for me, based on your description. Was the deck damaged in shipping, and did you send them pics? Any luck with your refund?

The deck was definitely damaged during shipping it is scratched everywhere I only had it for a few hours and only rode it twice in the day & at night there wasnā€™t ANY scratches on the board I sent it back looking like it was NEW and the box was taped nicely & it also looked NEW. The way the box came back looks like it was 15 years old from all the holes and damages it has and the board is scratched from the bottom and the top. I paid for a NEW board & ONLY had it for a FEW hours of just 1 DAY so I donā€™t see why Evolve is giving me a hard time :frowning: needless to say I opened a claim with Amex they said they need 6-8 weeks. I sent Photos to Evolve & I offered the short video I took as well which I have now put it on Youtube but no answer for a new replacement or a refund yet I am still in the dark. UPS came back & took the board because of the damage claim & I even had the Abec 11 Flywheels (97mm 78a) on the board which I NEVER got to ride yet not even once so I donā€™t even know what they feel like but I hope they send me new wheels too which is what I paid for since they are on the old deck or at least send me those wheels back If they decide to replace my board.

I had the exact same problem, there seems to be a bad batch of remotes, I almost crashed a couple of times due to this. Evolve sent me a new remote and itā€™s working flawlessly ever since. Iā€™m in love with my Bamboo GT back again!

1 Like

Anyone heard of any more cracked CF decks recently? I know there were a couple in the 1st batch, but am wondering if Evolve has addressed the issue.

Stay away from Evolve they are dicking me around they sent me a defective board which I sent back & they fixed but it broke into pcs on the shipment BACK the box was destroyed they wonā€™t refund my money or give me a new board I ONLY owned it for HALF a day! I sent it back again they put a claim in with UPS they still refuse to give me my money back or ship me a NEW board now they have my money and the board I have NOTHING and they wonā€™t respond to my emails either I put a claim in with Amex Evolve is doing crooked business imo at least with me so STAY AWAY! Here is part of the story

3 Likes

Honestly Iā€™d recommend you talk to Adam over the phone. Heā€™s very nice and would definitely help you with the refund process. He helped me a lot during the buying and even learning/messing with the board process and was very cooperative about warranty measures etc.

Honestly spreading hate about Evolve isnā€™t going to accomplish anything other than deter some people that might have truly enjoyed the board. There have been many happy customers (myself included) but (I really donā€™t mean this offensively) you and @BoardSportsRN are being much more vocal than any of the other customers. Iā€™m being honest - Iā€™ve only ever seen 3 people unhappy about their Evolve board and its the same 3 people that spam their distaste towards Evolve everywhere.

I understand @BoardSportsRNā€™s point of view however because his is literally about a flaw the board has (voltage sag) him being vocal about it isnā€™t bad at all - however even heā€™s a bit extreme about it (sorry) as the sag isnā€™t enough to ruin the entire experience the board offers.

Hopefully I didnā€™t offend anyone - Iā€™m just trying to put my humble opinion out there so people understand.

1 Like

I see. I was unaware of Adam being powerless. In this case I 100% agree with you and the man deserves much better.

But about the ā€œI can think of 3 people off the top of my head who were injured to the point of requiring medical attention by their GTā€ā€¦ Evolve canā€™t be blamed for someone not being able to ride their board. No matter what - EVEN if the board shut off, the board would coast to a stop. Iā€™d like the link to the post in which the UART cable is loose (but I will take your word for it for now and say that is unacceptable).

About the voltage sag. It is an issue. But I havenā€™t noticed it negatively affecting performance until the battery falls below 50%. My cables also seem to be perfectly in tact and connected properly. Everything is in working order and they fixed the remote so you canā€™t accidentally engage reverse while cruising. This either means that they are learning and fixing or you got unlucky (in which case, that happens with every company).

Someone should open a law suit against themā€¦ this is getting pathetic at this pointā€¦

I saw someone on the esk8 reddit is using a regular hobby controller for their GT. Not sure how that worked out but I am pretty sure it is possible without replacing the ESCs.

Well I guess I got my board after the major fixes so I havenā€™t experienced anything particularly awful. I agree with the 15 mile statement though for sure. You HAVE to set it to ECO after 15 miles or else it will change it for you. I wonder if Evolve Australia is just as bad as the USA retailer. But I canā€™t say Iā€™ve had a bad experience with them. Theyā€™ve been great to me but the only thing was not being able to choose what street wheels I for with my board when Australia gets to choose. Eh.

Problem I havenā€™t seen reported here.

On the CGT after under 20hrs of total ride time the board nuked itself. After a full charge of the board it hasnā€™t turned back on again. Battery pack shows green when plugged in and there is no blue LED on the power button when pressed.

Iā€™ve shot Evolve Au an email but no response today, they usually take a day or so to get back to me. As everyone with a problem has experienced Iā€™ve had some major shipping delays on spare parts (remote) rendering the board useless for a month while I waited for the replacement. Not much you can do.

For those looking to avoid this, ensure you switch the board off while charging. Store the board at 50% while not in use for more than a few days. MAKE SURE THAT IS FAST 50%, ECO MODE DISPLAYS A FALSE 50% (actual power is 30% on eco 50%) thats not exact but based on riding experience and rarely using ECO. That seems to be the only two things that could have nuked the battery IMO.

If anyone has any ideas/questions/fixes drop us a line :slight_smile:

Wowā€¦ just wowā€¦