Evolve Carbon GT battery upgrade

For you all, @hyperIon1 & @hyperIon2 offer printing batt spacer for Evolve boards!

https://www.hyperionesk8.com

1 Like

Yes, 3D printed riser for the Bamboo GTX will accomidate a 10s5-6p with evolve bms and system (add focbox duel heatsink) and go full conversion or next level with IMG_1096 IMG_0931 IMG_0932 IMG_1158

IMG_1157 a unity heatsink on a Carbon GT

IMG_1159 IMG_1160

7 Likes

:point_up_2: With that minuscle d124 bms there’s space for even a 12s4p!

2 Likes

yes, that’s my original replacement 10s4p in the pic, I started the upgrades with it and OG system and now it’s like a MOB truck in a Cadillac

2 Likes

I made a video of the evolve pulling absolute max 40amp from the battery.

1 Like

Hi @hyperIon1, I’m looking to replace my ESC/BMS in my carbon GT with something better, at this stage looks like I’m going with a FOCBox Unity just for simplicity. It looks like you milled out part of the carbon enclosure (around the leftmost FOCBOX mounts) in that install - why is this? And I also I see you removed the FOCBox enclosure, is there a reason for this too?

And lastly, I’m assuming that you ditched the FOCBox heatsink and remounted it to the stock Carbon heatsink yeah?

Mostly curious if I should do the same and what the reasoning is…

The unity has a tiny footprint. I cut away at my deck at earlier iteration of this. It’s seen vesc6s, dual focboxs, 4.12s, fesc 6.6 dual. Board mods were made for those chubsters.

I now have to go back and fill in the holes. #unityproblems.

4 Likes

The stock sink is optimal for the unity. Mine were all cut up, luckily I found an orphaned one in Dave’s garage.

1 Like

That looks like a killer setup! One thing I’m a bit gutted about going with the Unity is that it doesn’t have traction control like the fsesc 6.6 dual, and looking at the dimensions of the fsesc 6.6 dual I couldn’t see how I could fit one in to that enclosure without some serious carving into the carbon deck which seems like a bad idea… but you managed somehow?

1 Like

Traction control was added by Jeff in this last unity update.

1 Like

oh sweet, they should put that on the website…

1 Like

Do you find traction control helps? Seems like a cool feature. I used it awhile back. I would disable it to see which wheel and motor was acting up and forgot to reenable, going forward, probably won’t add in more complexity.

I cut out an opening at the front of the deck for the 6.6 sink. Widened it later to fit a second stock evolve sink and put a unity on it.

There is only one hint of a crack on the side of deck where it starts to taper in. From an old wreck in two years ago. This board is stamped “2016”. Still rolling.

Wow that’s awesome, I would have thought that cutting into the carbon pretty much anywhere would seriously compromise the strength of it. Can you cut out any part of the battery enclosure? Or just the parts that are already super thin? (like where the ESC heatsink sits)

I haven’t ever ridden a board with traction control but I’ve had plenty of experience with my GT instantly fishtailing when it goes over a change in surface at speed, especially with the stock A/T wheels and especially going from tarmac -> grass/dirt. I’m pretty confident that traction control would solve that issue, and would also make a big difference on trail skating too. I already changed my tyres to MBS knobbies which is a massive improvement on those surfaces so I’m keen to see how they also go with TC.

The second esc cut removed thin material. Probably shouldn’t get into the sides where the top cover sits.

that GT carbon has been through many upgrades to test what you can do, at one point I had duel FB and the custom heatsink needed the room to fit properly

Hey @Fiori I couldn’t find that STL on your thingiverse? Unless its the focbox mount? I’m looking to add space to my CGT to put a focbox unity + full bms next to my 10s5p that marsen built for me. I’ve made an STL myself, but don’t have easy access to a printer so kinda hoping to find a tried and tested STL that will give me some roomage…

Hey man. The compartment i have under my CGT is attached to the focbox holder I made(i made it modular).

Exactly which part were you looking for? I can get you any files you need.

I’m laser-cutting GT spacers in 6mm at the moment for 10S4P upgrades, I can probably source 10mm too no doubt. Across the ditch in New Zealand, only about NZD$12 to ship.

Hi everyone. I’m thinking about a new battery for CGT. Anyone can tell me a good source?

1 Like

what country you live?