Evolve Carbon GT battery upgrade

G’Day all, since doing a Bamboo GT battery upgrade I have been busy building batteries for other esk8er’s as well as looking into designs for range extenders and numerous other projects. I was also asked to fit upgraded batteries to a couple of Carbon GT boards which I was keen to do. First thing I did was watch Kevin Dark’s YouTube video on the upgrade. Then when I opened up the first board found a different type of BMS. This is an older style and wider than the now used version.20181104_120708%5B1%5D The top board has the wider BMS, the bottom one has the slimline one 20181104_120725%5B1%5D I checked out a few threads and posts and realised the only way this 10S5P was going to fit was with a spacer. I checked out Zero form Designs here in Perth as Charlie (Guy whose board it is) said they do one. After a quick look jumped on the PC and knocked one up on FreeCAD and uploaded to my printer. 20181104_103023%5B1%5D

30 mins later…

20181104_111920 As Charlie said when I sent him the pic "Farout !! Yeah that’s Sweet azz " The rest of the fit out was easy as this created stacks of room for the BMS and plugs. 20181107_134849%5B1%5D Insulated the esc and BMS with Kapton high temp insulation tape and the foam padding that comes with the BMS. Just needs tidying up, BMS and wires securing and all done. The heat sink needs longer screws because of the spacer which are easily sourced. 20181107_135148%5B1%5D Feed back from Charlie is he’s a very very happy man! Way more range and powered up those hills without any lag. I’d like to take all the credit but really it should go to Samsung for that wonderful little gem the 30Q. The second build was in my opinion harder as things are a tight fit getting that smaller BMS in without using a spacer. Soldered on the new battery and gently squeezed it in. I trimmed the shrink wrap on the battery as every tenth of a mm was needed. made sure all was well insulated and taped down. 20181104_141111

16 Likes

30q batterys are only good for 15A so they are not acceptable for a 3 or 4p pack for the evolve GT board as they can pull up to 80A at full noise. as well you say you use 0.2mm nickel strap x3 plus 4mm2 tinned copper braid. what width is you nickel strip and your braid. by my calcs you are very under rated for the GT. as far as i can see no one sells 4mm2 copper braid less than 2mm thick. i can tell you with those dimensions it will not fit. evolve made sure people people wouldnt be able to retro fit 18650 batterys to there CGT with out spending big dollars on copper welding techniques to keep the width down. also a tip, dont make the mistake that many have and choose to not insulate the outer edges of your pack sufficently so as to be able to fit your pack in a CGT. the Carbon fibre is conductive. you are basically installing the batteryinto a metal box with a thin layer of soft easily scrathed laquer on it. vibration = fire in a poorly insulated carbon board battery.

1 Like

There is no way the Evolve GT boards pull 80 battery amps – I’d like to see that measured to believe it.

9 Likes

Yeah my understanding was closer to 40A in total, especially considering Evolve uses some trash cells

2 Likes

Thats too funny. My 12s 4p is set on 80 amps max and it makes a cgt look like a toy. Like some real world specs to back up that statement. Also the 30q is actually good for 20 amp regardless of the spec sheet. Whats your set up? Oh and welcome to the forum.

4 Likes

Still don’t understand why people keep fighting with the CGT tight space?? :roll_eyes: Clean up the dang space guys!! Clear all that up. Put the largest battery you can possibly fit there. From one end of the enclosure to the other. The whole thing!! And someone pleaseeee 3D print a second ‘enclosure’ underneath for all the BMS, VESCs, heat sink, cabling, connectors (sort of the same way you did that heat sink spacer, ‘stacks of room’ for all components I already mentioned!

Same thing but larger! Enlarge the dam thing. What’s the big deal?? … :point_down:

C’monnn guys!! I’ve seen more difficult challenges solved here.

4 Likes

80A? Have you seen the Evolve BMS. It only has 4 power MOSFETS no way are they going to handle 80A for more than a few seconds, they also use 14 AWG for their power connections which converts to 2mm2 which as it’s a high temp insulation will give you 45A capacity. I think you may want to direct a few of your questions to Evolve and see what they say about under rated connections and electronics. I as well as numerous others have fitted 18650 packs into CGT’s quite easily. I have high temp Kapton tape, then reinforced pvc tape (same as Evolve) followed by the same PVC heat shrink that Evolve uses. The Bamboo boards you do need to trim the screw posts to get these batteries to fit but that is easily done. My interconnections are at the center of each P group so the Nickel strips are only carrying at max half the load of each P group.

To add to my last, the can of the cell has 0.5mm steel ends. Steel is only 10% as conductive as Copper and 50% as conductive as Nickel. Anyone fancy doing the Math on the current carrying capacity of the cell can?

Iv’e already done it. All the files are on my thingiverse.bottom

3 Likes

the space issue isnt length its width.

37A per motor 80A momentarily. still i would not be selling and putting my name on a battery that could burn 2k down the drain knowing my setup doesnt allow for those momentary currents. as long as you know then il be on my way. like i said im not here to ruin your party. just being the annoying becareful guy.

I would genuinely love to see some testing of this stuff, because it would show Evolve as being more powerful than we all thought

maths wont be ness in this case as common sense will suffice. the can thickness and material is irrelevant since the current path is a whole half a millimeter… not half a meter.

The esc only pulls 65A max I’m pretty sure. So I think a 4p pack would be fine.

if the 30Q was good for 20A it would be marketed as such. trust me. there is a reason they write maximum ratings on electronic items. something to do with thousands of hours of controlled tests , its very boring yeah why dont we just change the specs of all electrical components to suit our needs… hmm i wonder…? screw it, my mate steve said they are good for 100A so thats what il tell people they are good for. what does LG and samsung know anyway, complete amateurs that bunch.

My friend, have you read even the data sheet? 20A is safe according to the MFG… These tests were done by Samsung, not your buddy Steve.

It wont start a fire. It will effect your amount of charge cycles. But most fires are caused from bad insulation/shorts.

https://gyazo.com/8917972bcc57d0a0b6b55815456c47b4

2 Likes

you missed some information here friend… note the highlighting over the 20A heading? what do you suppose thats there for?

SAMSUNG%2030q%20DISCHARGE%20TEST Still doesn’t alter the fact that Samsung do test at 20A as well as 22A. If this wasn’t safe why would they publish results under such test conditions.

1 Like

…the remotes have a hidden feature that will show you current draw on each motor in real time. but good to see people are confidently commenting on stuff they have no experience or knowledge on. looks like im really missing out not sitting on a forum all day.

I do have a remote and have done testing myself.

1 Like