EU Law - (The Netherlands) for Electric Vehicle / Longboard

Okay this is the update for now, sadly no black on white but Eboard are illegal to drive in The Netherlands.

However you can have them legally on public street through registration and or through an application a procedure with RDW. But don’t worry special segway can pass this test, so does this eboards I assume.

I will investigate this further later, I also have design that will allow to use eboard in The Netherlands legally. Just need to wait my company to released its beta product :smiley:

3 Likes

You are doing some great work for the electric skateboard thanks for that.

But this RDW procedure is very costly right?

i was thinking of buying a evolve board but after reading this discussion i`m not going to do it go figure that the Netherlands is the only country with these rules. any updates on this laurnts?

Hi guys, i wanted to share my experience. So i live in the Netherlands and usually ride Groningen where i study and in Leiden where my parents live, i never had issue with the police on my evolve bamboo gt but i try to be discrete when police cars are around. I got stopped on time in Groningen and they were curious about the board. They asked me if this was legal and i told them the rules weren’t really clear yet. They were very nice and let me go without anything. One of the officers actually wanted to buy one. Also i want to say that if one day i would get ticketed for riding an electric skateboard i would never pay it and i would prefer to fight it in court in order to get some light on the subject. Voila have fun with your boards and don’t think too much about law enforcement

3 Likes

Hi, there. I buyed koowheel d3m three days ago. Was thinking to buy a cheap one at firs to learn riding, and maybe in the future to build one my self. Im riding in Rotterdam from Krimpen aan den Ijssel side, the buycycle and moped roads there are great, long strights and etc. but when I started wondering about the law I found this forum and post. Who have expirience in Rotterdam whith police?

The Dutch government now has actually prohibited the use of motorised boards on the streets

That’s not a goed news, do you mind share the link?

2 Likes

It’s actually never really allowed, without any clear statement, the RDW already stands on limiting the possibilities and likeliness of electric vehicle int he first place. This rule also include hoverboard. However again, it’s very hard to distinguish between electric longboard and normal longboard. Same goes to legal and illegal ebike. Nevertheless, lately I only ride my board on the park, is nicer (I have eMTB anyway so on the road is quite hard to manuver).

Given your research, what needs to be done to make it legal (earlier you were talking about some car testers testing it)?

Dutch politicians need to recognize that electric longboards and similar small electric vehicles can save the country a lot of money on infrastructure, as they are currently investing heavily in fighting traffic congestion and getting people to use public transport. Sure Esk8s can be dangerous to the rider, but with some basic rules in place (like speed limits on public roads and the use of helmets) that can be reduced to an acceptable level. There must also be a distinction between the different genres of electric vehicles, an esk8 can not be compared to a hoverboard.

Another reason to legalize is the fact that an electric longboard uses only 1kWh of electric energy per 100km on average, which is in the order of 15-20 times more energy efficient than a car. So even if you charge it with dirty energy, it still is a huge improvement

Why electric skateboards should be legal in the Netherlands:

• We have the best infrastructure in the world for small electric vehicles, bike lanes! The Netherlands is arguably the safest country to ride esk8s. Its likely that the severe injury rate of esk8s is far lower than that of cars already with no speed limits and rules in place.
  • Reduced congestion, improved use of public transport, reduction in government spending on fighting congestion and promoting use of public transport
  • Reduced energy use
  • Can be fueled 100% from renewable energy sources
  • Reduced noise pollution
  • Reduced air pollution
  • Reduced cost of maintaining roads
  • Reduced dependency on oil from foreign countries
  • It is the government’s duty to provide its citizens with as much freedom as possible and to only intervene if it is absolutely necessary.
  • Its the government’s duty to spend our tax money wisely and make the right decisions when it comes to improving the quality of our living environments
9 Likes

@Stef Very great input for the next communication if I have the chance to meet a mayor or arguments in RDW. However the “government” doesn’t seem to see it that way. Because the ease of manufacturing / creation of electric vehicle, they even try to stop it. It’s all about safety, fire, building over powered machines, etc. It’s pretty clear that the road is congested and public transport alone can’t really fix A - B issue. I’m pretty sure within the coming years, there will be all new regulations of electric power and speed. At some point rules will have to change. In 2020 The Netherlands also will be freed from 25kmh moped and all motorbike will use car road anymore.

1 Like

Just stumbled on this, and was wondering if anyone have had any problem yet riding eboards here. Do you guys that ride already here, do you ride on the streets? Bike lanes? And I was wondering if it’s better to keep it low and just ride it like it is, or add some front/back lights and such.

I fear like hell to have a expensive thing like this confiscated.

Well the rule of thumb is if you ride eboard, make sure you ride on the bike lane and not walking path. Rule 2 is not exceed 25kmh. Rule 3 is not endanger your self and or other people around you. I have been stopped once because I rode on a walking path, but thats all about it.

That’s what I thought, but I am expat here, barely new to Amsterdam, it’s good to be sure of how things goes here.

And if I can help in anything on your project for eboard and any effort on going forward on the legalisation of it, let me know.

Thanks

I usually ride in bike lanes or in some bike/people lanes that we have here around Lisbon. I already passed some policemen and none of them said anything, only saw me pass by. Until now I consider Portugal an esk8 friendly country. :slight_smile:

One day when the government sees that they can tax the esk8 as an electric commuting vehicle we are domed. Here we have taxes for everything that can be transformed as revenue. In that day Portugal won’t be so esk8 friendly for sure. :frowning:

1 Like

Talked to a student police officer in Belgium, he told me that everything is fine - according to his lessons - if we ride under 18km/h or slower and follow the rules for bikes. When on a foothpath, a speed of walking must be maintained.r

That would be good for us, a speed limit of 18km/h is a little bit slow but not to slow… But how can we track that we ride 18km/h?

You can limit your speed with the vesc monitor app from @Ackmaniac. Just set up a new mode and limit it to 18 km/h. :slight_smile:

2 Likes