EU/Belgian eBoard | 149kV | 12S LiPo -- Checklist & Buildlog

Which height/thickness do you use? 3mm? 5mm?

Hey all!

Big update. The board is as good as finished. I’ve made a temporary metal housing out of an old metal gutter. Lot’s of elbow grease, but I’m happy with the result. In the long run I plan on vacuumforming an ABS housing, just like @trbt555 suggested. The downside though is that I need plates larger then A4 for adequate room for the batteries, and sheets that are large enough are hard to find and very expensive. I’ve contacted the Wauwer plastics 5 (a local shop), but I noticed they only have HDPE to vacuumform, which is pretty difficult to work with.

I am very aware about vibrations and metal edges, so everthing is properly insulated with very think insulating tape and even some sealing agent (window sealant) around the edges. The batteries are on standoffs of velcrotape and over half a cm away from any (insulated) edge. There are also no moving parts near the edges that can get cut through due to vibrations and the parts fit snug inside so they don’t move around.

Took her for a 3km spin and WOW! This must be the most fun toy I’ve ever owned. It takes getting used to to stay balanced and at high speed the thing shimmies if you don’t relax. But I think that’s to blame on the use of the 1/2 (necessary) spacers and the shorter wheelbase. But I’m learning, I notice that when I relax my lower legs, I can keep it under control.

Small problem though: Belgian roads are infamous for there lack of quality and my street is a prime example of this. The harsh vibrations make my mount screws come loose, which I noticed because after a while accelerating/decelerationg makes the belt skip, even though I used some 243 loctite. I don’t know what to do next, I’m almost tempted to use some 648 that I used for the motor pulley.

A second question: I’ve heard that the circlip holding the stator in needs to be rotating freely. But as you can see there is not enough room for the shaft. It isn’t pinched or anything so when wiggling the shaft forward and back, it moves along. It just doesn’t complete an entire rotation and thus doesn’t rotate freely. I don’t see this as an issue though, but I’d thought I’d ask anyway.

Here are some pics of the 2 housings:

In the meantime I cut the right holes to connect the cable and finished everything up. (I made sure the cables are: inside spiral cablebinder, then taped and then in an electricity tube. It should also be noted that none of the components touch the sides. No chafing of the cables in the passthrough holes can occur)

1 Like

How does that 149k motor work for you. I have the same one but am still waiting on parts to assemble mine. Is the speed adequate on a 12s set up? I’ll be running 6s so I was curious.

It all depends on the gearing you use. I have 149KV at 6S but with a 20/28 gearing ratio. Top speed is ~40km/h

nice man, good work, happy riding! :slight_smile:

1 Like

hey that’s pretty good. I might have to low my gear ratio then. I’d be running 20:36

I’m about 70kg, and I’m pretty sure I easily get over 30km/h. I haven’t yet been confident to go full speed, way to fast for me. But 40km/h isn’t out of the question. If you’re an avid and experienced longboarder, you might hit the top speed, but it’s still a speed that is rarely obtained.

Nice thing about this setup is that the speed is the same for both uphill as downhill, and that’s a very cool feeling.

With 6s? I’m not sure, you’ll might need to tweak here and there to get there.

fellow 149kv 12s 70kg guy here, awaiting the last few parts. I’m happy to see that we can hit 30km/h, which is basically right where I was planning on capping out my speed anyways. Torque for days!

2 Likes

@joop1987 how do you charge your 8s board?

I’m using two 4S 10Ah lipo’s. I also fly RC so I use two chargers. I could get a 8S charger and a 4s to 8s balance adapter but I’m too cheap.

UPDATE: I’ve changed the metal housing for a plastic one :stuck_out_tongue: I feel much safer now as everything fits inside more snuggly.

This will probably be ridden with to and from my studentjob for the next month or so. So I hope it holds up but I have good faith in it. I’m also glad that it’s as good as waterproof. I’ve found some tubing that fit the motor wires nicely and by hotgluing those through the microwave boxes, I’m pretty sure I’ve got a waterproof seal. Still, I won’t be riding this through any puddles or rain whatsoever.

After next month I’m planning on finding some time to make a vacuumtable, so don’t go just yet there is more to come ;).

I do have a problem though: does anyone have a good source for motorpulleys (14T)? The one I have now is new but is very eccentric, it makes the belt vibrate like crazy and I can even feel the board shaking. It’s either that or the axle of the motor has been bent, which would really be a serious problem -_-. But I think it’s the pulley.

I haven’t ridden it on the streets because of the rain. But hopefully the motormount doesn’t shake loose like it did last time, otherwise I’m gonna see if I can find someplace to weld it fixed to the truck.

1 Like

The only heat loses that drop with higher voltage are in the vesc and possibly in ur battery wires

Going the same speed u were on 6s withy 12s u will have more heat in the motor as th no-load speed, which you want to be as close to as possible for efficiency, is now further away

I have a problem everyone (pff they just don’t seem to stop, I’ve barely ridden the board and everything that can go wrong has gone wrong…)

It seems like one of the cells on my brand f*ing new multistar battery has vanished. (See picture). How did I notice? Well I just went for my first ride since I put the plastic boxes on (stupid rain finally stopped and everything dried up). From the getgo (!) I already noticed that my board just had only about 1/3 of the speed/punch than it had the first ride (with the metal boxes). When I went downhill a bit, or on flats, the power came back. So I had a feeling the batteries might be drained (strange as they have never been used besides the first testrun).

I get back, and I plugged the batteries into the B6ACv2. 2 of the 3 batteries read 3.8V, plenty of juice I thought odd. But lo behold the third one (the one stored next to the VESC) had absolute nothing on the 1st cell --> 0V -_-. It’s dead. This explained it: 11*3.8 ~=42 (my soft battery voltage cutoff start on the VESC)

how did this happen? How can this happen between rides because it was fine before the beginning of this ride? How can I avoid it (has it anything to do with my setup (see picture above 14/32 ratio)

Can I just try and charge it? maybe one of the cells went too low for some reason? dunno, just grasping for some straws here. It feels a bit mushy, but that could be the packaging. Can I remove the cell and use it as a 11S?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PICS: normal and f’d up battery

could be the wire in the balance cable is not making a good connection in the balance jack.

You could try a voltage meter on the wire to check if the jack has a loose connection.

might have to make an incision on the wires housing.

But I also stuck my multimeter into the xt90, which showed 11.4V --> =3*3.8

If that’s the case, then it’s definitely a dead cell. I believe it was @trbt555 who said his multistar cells would be way of out balance after each ride. I have the same batteries. I’ll see if I have the same experience once I get my board setup in the next few weeks.

Yeah it’s from trbt555 that I’ve bought them new. I’m sure they worked before this ride, because he sold those brand new to me and they worked the previous ride (allthough I didn’t measure them then). I thought they’d be fine for the occasional riding that I’d be doing. And as you can see, the other cells are perfectly balanced.

I just for the life of me can’t imagine how a cell died without even using the battery?! I’m fine with multistar being a bit less quality and less of a lifespan, but how can a cell die like this.

Yeah, I have had the same problem: cells just seem to suddenly die. Two packs already dead. I haven’t checked whether or not it’s the inter-cell connections or the cells themselves. I’m not a big fan of Multistars.

I’m gonna open up one of my bad packs right now and check. Hang on, I’ll be right back.

1 Like

Let me know, I’m crossing my fingers for the connections.

When I thought of ‘unreliable’, I assumed that they’d fail after like 200cycles instead of the normal 500 for LiPo’s, but not on cycle 0 -_-. Anyone else with these experiences?

how did you find out @trbt555, also during riding?

Ok I’m back.

I had a Multistar pack,with one dead cell. It was brand new and had been only run once, to replace another pack with also a dead cell.

I found out while riding, when suddenly I hit the low voltage cutoff after only like 2000mAh or so.

I opened it up. It’s not the connections. One of the cells was dead as a doornail. Exactly precisely zero volts.

My conclusion: Multistar = false economy.