After stumbling on this forum and endless-sphere.com, I have been lurking around for a month or so. I told myself I didn’t have need for an electric skateboard and I don’t have cash to spare. Yet I know myself well enough and after the finishing of a prusa i3, my hands were itching.
So I continued to subconsciously research on the subject and am finally pulling the trigger. Sorry wallet!
The goal is as follows: To build an electric skateboard that is able to push me up some hilly terrain, with a range that would surprise me and take my mind of keeping it charged. Also I want a speed that doesn’t kill me but gives me the creeps. As I’m not that proficient on a longboard, I think 30+kmph will be adequate.
Here’s the caveat: I live in the EU, and everything is more expensive here, especially niche products that are flown over from outside the EU. I don’t have that much money to spend on this and I’d like to keep the price down on things that won’t hurt the quality of this build too much, or that are a good trade-off.
This is the first checklist I have, I can use some help to complete it and adjust it if necessary. But if someone knows cheaper places to buy from in EU, do tell!
- Blank Deck from esk8.de: €80
- Caliber II Trucks from esk8.de: has 50° angle (Belgium has short and bendy roads): €30
- Orangatang Kegels from esk8.de: 80mm, and I’ve seen they’ve been used regularly: €70
These were cheaper to buy from esk8 than any shop that had both orangatang and caliber trucks. Looks like great store.
Now follow the things that require some personal preference and for which feedback is welcome:
as I said I need something to nimbly pull me along some hilly terrain as good as possible. so I’ve opted for a 14/32 gear ratio, what’s your feedback on this?
- SK3 6374 149kV from HobbyKing EU: Best motor with best torque as far as I have come across, this should work: €80
- 265mm Belt from esk8.de: But I can’t tell if it’s 15mm or not as I’d like to use 15mm gearing and belt: €9
- 32T Wheel Pulley from esk8.de: Seems like these have been made for the orangatangs, perfect!, but I strongly prefer a cheaper alternative: €60!
- 14T Motor Pulley: Don’t know where to buy this, to fit the motor I chose
- Motor Mount: Don’t know where to buy a good one. Otherwise I make one
- XT90-S from HobbyKing EU: I’d like to use this as a switch. I also am not sure if these are the correct ones: €5.5
Turnigy 6S 30C 5000mAh x 2 from HobbyKing EU: 12S seems good for this motor and the combined 10000mAh should be adequate for range?:€54x2
–> WILL BE REPLACED BY 3*4S 10000mAh 10C MULTISTAR BATTERIES!!
- HXT 4mm Connectors from HobbyKing EU: For the motors and VESC, but I’m not sure if they’ll fit: €4.5
- Some 14AWG cable from esk8.de: Just in case I’d like to move the batteries around: €3.5
- VESC from esk8.de: This ones a biggy in the wallet, but seems like esk8 is the only one that sells them: €170
TOTAL THUS FAR: €620
After a quick calculation on toby616’ blog, I got following info: a weighted top speed of 30.5kph.
Did I forget something (besides the remote)? Are there any suggestions on where to buy cheaply in Europe? Any suggestions to change things?
Thanks in advance everyone and sorry for the x’th checklist. I just have to get everything right from the start for my budget. But I promise I’ll spoil everyone with a nice buildlog afterwards.
EDIT: some nice pictures so far