eSkate Lights thread

those brake lights work if your esc has the right connectors. I’m using those headlights/taillights in my boards, and they work great. But to get the brake lights working as brake lights and not just tail lights, you need special light ports on your esc, which most esc’s do not have.

not necessarily true. you can buy light kits that will work with any ESC, not requiring “special light ports” they just pick up the signal from the PWM line on the receiver. see the connections in this picture: it just plugs right in.

4 Likes

We’ll anyone who has an enertion controller /vesc combo is totally plug and play. At the price it’s hard to beat

2 Likes

I’m not saying it needs a special port to work. I use it with the gt2b and enertion controller.

But you get a solid red and white lights.

You do not get working brake lights without the special ports. They are just solid red lights. They don’t react to the throttle.

again I will say if you buy the RC car light kit you will get working brake lights and even turning indicators! although you will need a GT2B style for the turn signals to work.

and that’s where I will leave it.

1 Like

Mind posting a video?

Because I plug mine into my GT2B and all I get is light. No throttle response does anything to affect those lights. The only video I could find about setting up these lights is by hobbyking, and they show you plugging one cable into the reciver and one into these light ports on the esc. No matter what port on the receiver I put these into, nothing changes.

perhaps the kit you have is different… i’ll try and take a video later. or perhaps @vince.fab could take a video of his.

The one I am using is the GT power 1/5th 1/8th off road lighting system.

is your ESC plugged into the controller?

I think i figured it out. It has to be on the same channel of as the throttle, meaning I need to combine the esc servo wires and the servo wires for the lights together.

However, it controlled my headlights when I braked, not the taillights.

Also, How would you use turn signals?

haha keep going you will get it eventually… swap the headlight ant the tail light plugs.

that particular kit doesn’t come with turn signals, but it is the same theory, but instead of plugging into the brake channel it plugs into the steering channel and the lights light up when you turn the wheel of the GT2B.

2 Likes

oh shit. Its on now. I might have to impulse buy this kit right now and re-work the leds to be embedded in my deck.

Also its worth mentioning that it should work with ANY steez remote if it works with enertion’s. Carvon sells them too, that’s where i got mine. Its the exact same remote.

4 Likes

I’m getting weird results switching it around the other way.

It could be my controller needs charging, but it worked once, then it got stuck dim, and wouldn’t go back up to bright, Sometimes I turn it on and the tail lights are on, sometimes, they are off. If they are off, sometimes, they come on when I hit the throttle or brake, and sometimes, they stay off. I double checked my soldering and it all seems good.

My different LED set ups :bulb:

7 Likes

LED Video :bulb:

6 Likes

ive bought those headlights before they had very little lighting. I use a bike light now.

Head and tail lights worked flawlessly on a 10 mile nighttime shake down. Gives plenty of light, combined with a helmet mounted light I felt very safe and well seen

9 Likes

well I’m a little disappointed with the gopro light :frowning:

3 Likes

Dang, but nothing a little gaffer tape can’t fix!

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/121825488843

Quadcopter Lights 1.5w … Best set up so far…clean easy to use and super bright…run the wire under the truck…the light has a metal stem at the end of the metal casing so you can put it right up against the truck… I suppose you could run a small channel …

3 Likes