ESCape professional pcb assembly

What does this mean for the metr pro module?@rpasichnyk

Will I need to switch the pins around as well, or will this be fixed in the next batch? @stewii

Or am I missing something and I need to research the vesc 6 bt module?

(Never heard about a vesc 6 bt module. Is there a specific one just for the vesc 6 by trampa?)

Funnily Trampa does sell a BT module for their VESC 6, but that’s not what I was referring too. More-so just something that is designed to connect to a VESC 6 comm port may need some adjustments to fit the ESCape. You could argue Trampa has it the wrong way around :wink:

FWIW VESC 6 variants have an 8 pin jst connector, whereas VESC 4 variants have a 7 pin connector. I believe the Metr Pro comes with a 7 pin connector which will fit into the 8 pin fine. Ordinarily I’d say yeah you’d need to be careful plugging it in, but remember reading the Metr Pro has some ‘magic’ in it that lets it figure out what pins are what by itself. Please get confirmation on that last bit though, surely you’d need to make sure VCC and GND were right!?

Just to be clear, this cut out in the jst connector is what I’m referring too. The VESC 6 and ESCape have it on different sides. comm_port_vesc6_escape

4 Likes

seems like we could pull the plastic part off and flip it, if the cutout still lines up…

1 Like

Anyone know where to buy female connectors? It uses 2mm jst not 2.54 and the only ones I’ve found are either on eBay for ridiculous prices per unit or on Farnell for pretty cheap but only in lots of 100 :confused:

I said I won’t post without confirming, but jst 2.00mm is “JST PH” You can find loads of it on amazon/eBay/aliexpress and on mouser, digikey, etc.

Metr Pro only figures out TX and RX (if they are swapped), but has no way to figure if the whole connector is upside down. VESC6 has the same arrangement as VESC4.12. But why ESCAPE has it flipped? Is this for real or just wrong labeling?

1 Like

I’m guessing copyright issues…

Its for real. I connected my bt module according to the text.

Since this is flipped I notice that the other ports above and below will encounter the same problem then won’t it?

Solutions are to flip the wires in reverse order on the connectors or flip the white plastic on the board or for @stewii to fix it like on vesc 6 then?

Am I side tracking this thread now? Not my intention.

I’m down for the dual by the way with case filled in the order.

Seems like 9 others are in too for an order for what is offered.

How you throw out the cables to change the order? I tried with other jst plugs but couldn’t get the pins out. Or you just cut and crimp a new plug?

Use a tiny flat screwdriver to release the hatch thats holding the wire. Its very easy when you have done a few :slight_smile:

I tried exactly this and couldn’t make it🙈 Than just cut and made new😅 Maybe I just need to practice more.

LOL, that’s one way to fix it.

Suggest more practice, as Minim said it just takes a tiny flathead screwdriver and 5min. Go easy though, those little plastic tabs don’t like to be bent up too far. It helps if you push the wire in a little, lift the plastic tab, then pull the wire out with its crimped connector.

2 Likes

I ordered them from Digikey,

https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/jst-sales-america-inc/PHR-8/455-1189-ND/608630

I also bought these terminals,

https://www.digikey.ca/products/en?keywords=455-2147-1-ND

And these crimpers. https://www.ebay.com/p/Engineer-PA-09-Micro-Connector-Crimpers/710099147

But the crimpers took probably 2 months to arrive. I couldn’t find them anywhere that would ship any faster. I originally ordered them from amazon.ca You might have better luck with amazon.com though. I found them to be the best crimpers and they will last me for life. Digikey is quick, usually about 24 hours till I have stuff in my mailbox.

2 Likes

Crimper and the various needed connectors can be bought with 1 day express shipping from rs-components.

1 Like

I wish I would have known that at the time!

1 Like

With part numbers for next time. They also stock the tool but I had that so this order doesn’t show the number for that.

1 Like

My ESCape arrived, thank you stewii! They look beautiful. :heart_eyes:

@stewii is it possible to have a tracking number? Or know when the unit is sent?