Enertion Vesc with drv8032 fault code

I don’t think so, not even Chaka is really encouraging FOC. It does seem to cause more problems, I haven’t had issues with FOC on chakas vesc’s.

It’s true also that Chaka doesn’t really have any terms stated, but from talking to him, you will understand that at worst case, you pay a bit for shipping and replacement parts if you were a flaming idiot, which he has said he hasn’t had to do yet.

Wow ok - just let me know when the EU warehouse is set up :wink:

Lachlan, please stop. you have no idea what you are saying & nothing to back it up.

unless you have hacked into ollin systems & are reading all his customer emails you are simply spitting out random chunks of nonsense.

So please STOP

1 Like

The drv chip is a driver for the large mosfets, how does that translate to it being fragile?

due to the number of people saying so

1 Like

Ollin vescs (probably) have the same fail rate, but chaka manually tests the and people directly contact him if they have a problem and it gets fixed quietly and no one hears about it as much

Jason, I have nothing against Enertion. I love your mounts, drive trains, trucks, wheels, motors also look nice even though I haven’t tried them. You are an inspiration for growing your company %1400 in the last year. I am very appreciative of being a moderator here, even though I probably don’t deserve it. I even say to my parents how cool your designs are. My parents are a bit sick of me talking about esk8 though… Anyway, I was just interested what you think is the cause of the DRV8302 on your VESCs blowing up.

This is probably the longest reply I have ever done so I am going to stop now. Keep doing what you love to do mate. Peace.

Finally, someone who is making some sense…

The fact of the matter is, I am the owner of this forum, I directly refer my customers onto the forum to publicly describe their faults & problems, I promote this forum on my youtube videos, I have links from my website & I also have a shortcut to the forum inside my “automated response emails” when someone submits a support ticket with us. None of the other vendors do this. There is a chance that customers who purchase from my competitors don’t use this forum or know about it.

Personally, I think it benefits the community if all the “dirty laundry” is hung up for everyone to see… I have nothing to hide and i think it is only fair that the general public be given a snapshot of the “real world” - This concept is not shared by my competitors & in most cases they like to hide their faults away from the public.

What forum readers must be careful of is the fact that cases of faults on here are just a “snapshot”. It cannot be used as a source of data for your statistical analysis. For accurate information, we need to conduct a large survey of forum users (and ideally all vendors customers) to get any meaningful data… Which i do plan on be doing in the near future.

the truth of the matter is, There are plenty of vendors who happily use this forum to promote their business but are very careful to ensure their customers never use it to talk down their products.

It’s a double edge sword, i love the community because it helps me improve my products & gives me invaluable feedback about my mistakes. I can then use this knowledge to better my competitors… But it also means that my mistakes are all visible for the world to see…

anyway… such is life!

2 Likes

Lachlan, you just need to make sure you are being objective & being careful not to make statements that are written as facts when in fact they are simply your own subjective opinions based on a small dataset.

It’s like me saying everyone who is under 15 years of age is bad at soldering electric skateboards, because i have viewed pictures on this forum showing that your soldering sucks & you are also under 15.

1 Like

they will be getting the first batch by middle of august,.

That is a fact though. Haha. I get your point. I need to consider what I am saying before I say it.

Only if i am talking about your results specifically, If there are 3 other 15-year-olds in the same room I shouldn’t assume their soldering quality is going to equal, better or worse than yours simply based on the snapshot of observable results.

I am talking about myself. It was humour

It communication protocol between the DRV and the MCU, for use we have in Esk8, that make the DRV fragile. Also Wrong setting and bad setup are a big part of the famous DRV Failure. (the cause problem with other component that can affect directly the DRV)… AND don’t forget the VESC is still some kind of Prototype.

Thanks for the response

Hey, I’m not sure if this is the right place for this, can’t seem to find a way to PM you so I thought your latest post would work. I am currently trying to build the best board I can for the lowest amount of money, I already have a completed board(not e board) so there’s a way to save already. Anyways, while browsing the forums, I stumbled on one of your comments stating this is the best budget build: “Torqueboards for mounts (unless you are welding) and hobbyking for outrunner motors and lipo batteries. Space cell should be good, but its overpriced and you can make it yourself for half the cost. Buy a good charger (genuine IMAX). I would get a 192kv 6374 motor from HK and run it on 6S. with a vesc. Thats what I would do if I could redo my build again. VESC- $100 2* 3S Lipos at 20C- $45 HK outrunner- 90$ ($60-80 is you go for a higher KV) Motor mount kit from Torqueboards- $75 Separately purchased drive kit- $60 for a 12-15mm belt setup OR buy torqueboards drive kit which is $120 includes motor mount and belt/pulleys at 9mm And a charger- 30$ Total is gonna round up to $400 with shipping and extra belts and metal bolts plus $100 labor if you time costs money. PS you can save: $40 on the esc with a 1/8 car esc $80 by making your own motor mount $20 on the charger buy buying a 3S charger $20 on the motor with going for like 230-295kv Hope I helped.” Just wanted to know if you still stand behind this setup or if new products have emerged or something like that. It would be amazing if you could get back to me, thanks!

If you want to go cheap, buy a 6364 SK3 245kv and run it on 6S on a 150 amp car esc with a programming card and build a li-ion pack. I now see the benifits of them over lipos unless you want a stealth build.

Buy TQ’s motor mount. Hes a great guy and local for me. If your international then maybe elsewhere.

If you want all out buy a reliable 12S esc (ollin/Maytech/TQ) with a 168-192kv motor. I would gear lower just because I want sub 20mph speeds but thats up to you.

There is a false economy, but its not in the motors, its in the esc and batteries.

Wow awesome man thanks for responding so quick, a few questions: The two motors you mentioned are within $10 of each other price wise, so should I just go for the 192kv? Also I’m totally willing to DIY and build the bat pack, do you have any links to a good forum post or something? With the vesc vs car esc, is there a notable difference in performance, braking? speed? also how can I rig the car esc? With the speeds, I have no problem with going over 20, is there something I need to buy to reach those speeds. Do you have a list or a recommended truck to use, or could I use the ones that came with my board. Well, that’s it, I hate to ask so many questions but I’m new to the scene and extremely interested. thanks for the help man!

Well… Regarding the battery pack, I am not educated on the process of soldering together Li-ion cells, so you are going to need to look at some forum posts.

The 192kv is perfect for 12S and so Is the 168kv, both are 6374 and could benifit from high Amp escs. The 245kv is smaller 6364 and will go faster. It is good for a vesc.its up to you if you want to go fast/slow.

Calculator here: http://toddy616.blogspot.com/2013/07/electric-skateboard-calculator.html

the car esc is less flexible but simple. Buy a expensive vesc and learn the basic setup guide and you should be fine and you will have customization. As with speed, I dont know much as i havent gone over ~17mph. Buy calipers since thats the only one available. Buy one truck form TQ.