Enertion 2.4Ghz Wireless Radio Transmitter Controller & Receiver

this makes me sadface. that is the defined difference between cruise control and perpetual steez.

haha, that cost extra! I am glad you got it worked out, fairly straight forward.

HOT TIP: If you have dual vesc you should use CAN-BUS to connect them and connect the RX to master VESC, splitting the signal from the RX works but it seems to get a weird interference/pulse of signal from the 2nd VESC which results in a random twitch.

When is going to be available again?

it is in stock ready to ship

http://www.enertionboards.com/electric-skateboard-parts/2-4ghz-radio-hand-controller/

1 Like

Thanks, just bought it!

@trbt555 thanks for all of this info! Subjectively, how do you like the feel of it? Is it worth replacing the nunchuk with this? At this point, I have 2 nunchuks, GT2B, and TBā€™s mini 2.4!

Yes @lowGuido that makes me sadface too! Especially since I upgraded the firmware of my VESC and the nunchuck cruise is working so smoothly compared to the previous version I had. Itā€™s not very steezy, but maybe one just gets used to it.

Iā€™ve been way too busy at work to go out riding so I canā€™t comment yet. But I like the shape of the controller. Could be a bit heftier though, I might open it up and hot glue some weight into it.

EDIT: I also like the fact itā€™s rechargeable with no removable parts. If you ever have to bail when using a Nyko Kama, good luck finding your battery compartment cover and your batteries.

1 Like

Ok so I got to test the Enertion controller today. I had a dual VESC CAN bus master/slave setup, connected the reciever to the master, made all appropriate settings, used a bench supply limited to 2A and apparently blew up my DRV chip anyway, started getting FAULT_CODE_DRV8302. @chaka, this is one of your high output VESCS, hadnā€™t been run on the road yet, please advise. Coincidence ? I donā€™ know. Iā€™m getting tired of VESCā€™s dying on me, the DRV8302 seems to be the VESC equivalent of a wonky head gasket on older French cars. Mr. Vedder should do some reliability engineering IMO.

Anyway, I managed to get the transmitter/receiver combo working on the remaining VESC. The only setting that seems to work acceptably is ā€œCurrent no reverse with brakeā€. It has a very different throttle-feel than the nunchuck, more agressive acceleration, not as gradual as the nunchuck. Didnā€™t really enjoy it. Also, donā€™t really know how to trim the signal, because it was constantly braking when I backed off the throttle. Do I adjust the pulse width settings to achieve neutral ? Put back the nunchuck. May use it for a second build using all the spares Iā€™ve amassed the last few months.

thats a pro in my booksā€¦ :smile:

check this out for info on PPM fine adjustment & tuning

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/vesc-faq-setting-up-receiver-and-brakes/244

yeah it takes the prize for most common faultā€¦ I am starting to think Electrostatic discharge (ESD) could be a cause.

Thanks @onloop, thatā€™s the info I was after. Iā€™ll give the transmitter another go next time we have a dry day here in Belgium, like in a few weeks :sunglasses:

@trbt555 I sent some contact info to you in a private msg. Best to contact me with an email and we will get you sorted with your faulty drv chip.

On the Enertion controller, try thisā€¦Click on ā€œsoft rpm limitā€ , and under ā€œrpm limit endā€ enter value ā€œ60,000.00ā€. Smooth and safe throttle my friend.

Very Intersting, I have never tried this function, so I assume if you set the soft rpm limit end to 60K ERPM does this mean that once this erpm is reached it cannot go any faster? What actually happens in the real world?

in a normal RATPOR setup for example. 36v 15t motor pulley 36t wheel pulley 83mm wheel 190kv motor 14 pole

MAX rpm is about 6800 (95k erpm) which is around 28mph

So with a 60K soft rpm limit to speed should max at around 17mph

But does this actually have any effect on the initial ramp up? It sounds like it just is at the end.

Go ahead and try it for yourself. It feels amazing to me, but not sure if it can hit 28mph.

Nowdays chip are not as fragile as itā€™s used to be against ESD. I have the feeling that burst current / spark / sudden changes in voltage / amps cause DRV to fail. I had your VESC just new (maiden voyage) being run for 7 minutes and it never goes back on after one of my XT60 cable goes unplugged due to vibration. The VESC was wrapped inside anti static plastic and then wrapped again with bubble wrap.

Maybe you should test one of your VESC by riding underload half throttle and then suddenly cut off power, see if it gets faulty.

Iā€™ve read it somewhere that Vedder are aware of this weakness in the DRV chip. He recommend to use higher voltage so it doesnā€™t draw much current. Because current kill VESC. Yet I believe that VESC can run more stable, more reliable and less fragile with SPACE Cell. Because of the BMS, the 30A fuse and no mad lipo unstable discharge could harm it. This is just my speculation though, but now we seen these issues happening more often with VESC. Itā€™s time to review the faulty DRV chip, let Vedders get more attention, so we can move on and fix other faulty issue. Iā€™m afraid, it would be though to get CE compliance for instance when a test center really push the limit of VESC.

Thanks, Iā€™ll give that a try. Iā€™m looking for a more sensitive throttle feel, the Enertion controller somehow feels too ON/OFF for me. But I hadnā€™t really set evertything according to the instructions so Iā€™ll retry at a later stage.

I am using the controller you have in this video, I am able to stop & start with good control without lots of erratic jerking or anything like that.

for me I like the sensitivity of this controller a lot, itā€™s just like GT-2B.

so after learning a bit more, at 60k i loose alot of amps, so thats no good. And obviously at 100k soft rpm limit, all the original power comes back BUT man it still feels much smoother on soft rpm. And when i say smoother, i mean take off. Ever since ive gotten used to this board, it really isnt big deal either way. But since i have a choice, im going with soft rpm. It literally eases in the power.

There has been some fierce debate about whether this remote control can actually allow the rider to accelerate in a sensible, safe manner.

Some reports say the controller feels more like a on/off switch rather than an analogue control that allows smooth incremental acceleration.

So I made a video to illustrate the way it works for me. Before making the video I adjusted the PPM settings inside the vesc to suit the controller. The settings I used are MIN 1.19 MAX 2.01.

I also have a pure carbon fiber lid on my Raptor, which we know can block Radio Signal, it seems to drastically reduce the range of this controller, tall people have drop-out problems when they raise the controller past their waist.

To learn about tuning the vesc ppm settings go here: VESC FAQ | Setting up receiver and brakes PPM - ESK8 Electronics - Electric Skateboard Builders Forum | Learn How to Build your own E-board

Here is my video, I try to ride the board at really low speed, starting & stopping & also using the cruise control function.

NOTE: The ā€œcruise controlā€ function is not sophisticated. It does not get RPM data back from the VESC. It cannot maintain the set speed if the load on the motor increase or decreases. Example. You are riding along a flat area, you set your cruise control, now you approach an incline, the board will slow down & maybe stop completely. Example 2. You ride on flat ground, you set the speed, you go down a decline, the load decreases now. Your board will accelerate, It might rapidly accelerate if the hill is steep.