Enertion 2.4Ghz Wireless Radio Transmitter Controller & Receiver

There has been some fierce debate about whether this remote control can actually allow the rider to accelerate in a sensible, safe manner.

Some reports say the controller feels more like a on/off switch rather than an analogue control that allows smooth incremental acceleration.

So I made a video to illustrate the way it works for me. Before making the video I adjusted the PPM settings inside the vesc to suit the controller. The settings I used are MIN 1.19 MAX 2.01.

I also have a pure carbon fiber lid on my Raptor, which we know can block Radio Signal, it seems to drastically reduce the range of this controller, tall people have drop-out problems when they raise the controller past their waist.

To learn about tuning the vesc ppm settings go here: VESC FAQ | Setting up receiver and brakes PPM - ESK8 Electronics - Electric Skateboard Builders Forum | Learn How to Build your own E-board

Here is my video, I try to ride the board at really low speed, starting & stopping & also using the cruise control function.

NOTE: The “cruise control” function is not sophisticated. It does not get RPM data back from the VESC. It cannot maintain the set speed if the load on the motor increase or decreases. Example. You are riding along a flat area, you set your cruise control, now you approach an incline, the board will slow down & maybe stop completely. Example 2. You ride on flat ground, you set the speed, you go down a decline, the load decreases now. Your board will accelerate, It might rapidly accelerate if the hill is steep.

i was one of those who had the problems. as soon as i adjusted the settings in BLDC I was able to accelerate smoothly just like onloop shows in this video.

onloop, your motors seems extremly quiet compared to mine, did you run them in FOC mode?

*just seen your reply on youtube stating it’s “current conrol”

I’m driving at a stupid slow speed that’s why.

so do i and they are screeching compared to yours: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BybdY5w-PsmIRFlscmlkNGNiOXM/view?usp=sharing

mine sound the same as that. this video is an example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59d9JLXF2TI

if you dont like the noise you might need to use FOC.

i like the sound though.

Does anyone know how long the controllers battery will last during normal use? Is there any flashing of the controller to warn you when its about to run out?

Good question @onloop Ist There any flashing of the controller to warn you when its about to run out?

No flashing but the right light turns yellow. Sadly it comes to late so if you see the yellow light you have like no connection. I usually charge it every three to five rides even it would last longer. Nothing is more annoying then a dead controller while riding.

Thx, sadly i have now the problem that the controller is not connecting to the raptor.

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/enertion-raptor-change-the-radio-channel-on-hand-controller/1314

Try this!

1 Like

how i understand it has do be already a connection between the remote and the raptor, so the reciver and remote change channel together.

Should work to connect controller and receiver as well.

ok thanks, i give it a try

it didn’t work. Followed the steps, but step 6 didn’t work. The green light don’t start flashing. So no indication of what channel i am in and if it changes it.

Hi Could anyone tell me how to conect the receiver to the VESC?

1 Like

use the three pins that are poking up.

You can see the + and - marked, the minus corresponds with the blackish brown wire, and the red is positive.

there are two sets of 3-pin connectors on the board- I don’t think it matters which set you plug it into.

1 Like

Hello people, absolute rookie here but I have a few questions that after some research I can’t seem to find the answer I am looking for.

I am currently building a board and intend on using either a tacon Bigfoot 160 (245kv) or the MonsterPower 160 (245kv) motors. Depending on which one comes into stock first that is… Both motors are sensor-less so I intended on using the TorqueBoards 12S 120A Car ESC OPTO HV with the UBEC connection that I believe is required for a 2.4ghz receiver.

What I’m curious about is if I can use the Enertion controller for this set up. I realize it mentions compatibility with ESC’s but after reading through this thread and seeing how people are tweaking their settings, it’s to my understanding that those options are limited to VESC setups.

I’m interested in this controller type as my friend has a trigger styled controller and I’m not a fan, I’m used to the slide style I have on my Marbel board. Anyways feedback is appreciated, thanks!

i cant answer the controller question but i can point out something i see maybe wrong with your picked motors. the tacon is fine and a great pick but the monster uses a 10mm shaft. this means that the motor pulleys sold by enertion and DIYelectric(torqueboards) will not work with it, you would have to get one from aliendrivesystems

1 Like

The enertion controller puts out a standard pulse width modulated signal which should be compatible with an ordinary RC ESC. BUT the controller does not offer any trimming features so you will be unable to fine tune throttle response unless your esc has a feature to do this. I cannot remember having ever seen an rc esc that does this though.

2 Likes

Thanks for the responses, after much research (yes even in the short period of time since i asked the question lol) i have decided to change my current route. I thoroughly enjoy the idea of having greater control of my motor and settings so i decided to buy a VESC. Unfortunately the one i bought isn’t currently available so i will run an esc until its ready. Again thanks for the feedback @trbt555.

Also, @delta_19 i did notice the 10mm shaft and was researching places to buy a pulley with the proper pitch, teeth width, flanges etc. Most manufactures of pulleys seem to have a “plain bore” finish which from what i understand means i would have to drill the shaft diameter myself. Considering my lack of tools and the fact that i would need to very precisely bore out that pulley, i bailed on all the 10mm shaft motors that i was looking at but thanks for the recommendation of “aliendrivesystems.”