Enclosure inspiration thread

I’m using the flex 1 deck so it’s the most rigid of the lot, but I will say it flexes just fine. Just as much as it did before the enclosures. Also, Its inspired by the Boosted Board which employs this setup and keeps the default characteristics of the board intact.

It doesnt, and since it’s flexing inwards there’s really no risk to the battery at all. When you stand on the board it essentially flattens out so there is no flex to battery the way I have it setup. My batteries are not “attached” to the board, but are wrapped and packed in the enclosure for a tight fit that gives them room to move with the board.

Wait so these enclosures are made to fit a Flex 3 right?

I wonder if they’d fit better on Flex 2, which is slightly longer at 42’’

Yea it says flex 3, but my board is the 42 inch flex 1. They fit the curves perfectly.

Do you own a 3d printer or you used some internet service and had them shipped over?

I have one. I’ve heard good things about shape ways but, it can get kinda expensive. I looked at getting mine done from there because my printer was being a bit finicky, but they wanted $80 a piece for 3 pieces! One thing though is I had to cover my enclosures in epoxy for extra strength. 3d prints like to split under pressure when there isn’t good layer adhesion.

I tried a few online 3d printing services, and all of them asked around 150-200 eur to print these 3 parts. Screw this, I’d rather get a vacuum pump and do my own carbon fiber vacuum enclosure than spend that much money on some 3d printed plastic enclosures

Totally agree man. They’d last alot longer for sure!

@psychotiller white ABS enclosure to the rescue. Good bye Tupperware (for now, this build lol)

10 Likes

What do you think? Looks like it sits pretty well. I used .090 which is a little lighter than my normal 1/8".

Please keep those pictures coming!

I think its nigh near perfect. Will take a swing at installing maybe this weekend. Need to drill countersink through fiber core deck, and have @longhairedboy rivet nut enclosure kit sitting around waiting to do my bidding lol

1 Like

I’m also trying to design some Vanguard enclosures. Trying to squeeze a 12s4p pack into the space isn’t easy and requires some… inventive battery layout. (Not sure if this is viable…) Would the flex mess with this kind of set up too much (Even though it’s a split design) Only problem is that I can’t really think of a way to get this fairly complex shape out of the computer right now…

13 Likes

If you dont have a cnc or 3d prnter, what you can do is slice the model into 1/4" layers and print them on paper, then cut those shapes from 1/4" plywood and glue them together, with a bit of patience and sanding you should get it looking really good. Then you can do whatever you want with it (vacum form, gfk, cf, paint, you name it)

2 Likes

went for the wooden look. I love woodworking LOL

11 Likes

My final enclosure won’t be made until January but I really want to test my board outside. Anyone have some good and cheap ideas for a temporary enclosure?

I used electronic boxes as a temporary solution. It’s not pretty, but it works.

Run over to a hardware store and get some zip ties. Or, don’t forget duct tape is your best friend!

Lunch boxes and Velcro!

I’m planning on 3d printing an enclosure, but my University wont allow for more than 15% infill on such a large print. Do you think if I printed it at 15% and then sprayed some truck bed liner on it, it would be strong enough? Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks

You can reinforce the inside with fiberglass or make cutouts for aluminum panels, or hatches if you want to add inserts and screws.

1 Like