Enclosure inspiration thread

Interactive Viewer for built in enclosure

So this is a new idea i came up with! I wanted a swappable power pack. They way it works is the white piece that is bolted between the deck and back truck is aluminum delrin composite. The composite runs the span of the wheel base and the other side has 2 peices of aluminum than hold it down. The abs enclosure is bolted down to the composite. What i wanted is to be able to build a small latch on all my decks so i can just swap the trucks and power pack to have a new board. All i need to do is take off the trucks.

1 Like

Before sanding:

After sanding + paint:

8 Likes

What grit did you sand it with?

Did you prime the ABS before sanding?

3D Printed, my own design, front cover hinges open. The 3D Printed hinge already busted (not surprised) so will replace with a metal hinge. Printed in ABS and I fiberglassed/epoxied the inside surface to prevent splitting. These fit a 6S and 4S 5000mAh pack in series for 10S total.

1 Like

I started with 80 grit (60 would have been better), then 150 and 240. I’ll probably give it a final sanding with like 500 and another two coats, it’s still not quite perfectly smooth. But it works really good if your enclosure just needs a little smoothing out.

No primer needed, paint is just regular old Krylon Fusion satin black.

1 Like

4 Likes

Elephant E090 on my Trampa Street Carver:

3 Likes

How to:

21 Likes

Here’s some boosted board inspiration enclosures I 3D printed. Credit to emancarrillo for the designs he uploaded to Thingiverse.

9 Likes

very nice.

1 Like

Those are really nice. Have you shared these stl files on thingiverse by chance?

1 Like

emancarrillo is the one who designed these, and he does have them on Thingiverse. I edited my post and added the link to them.

@TheImmortalJew This looks great! Why did you form the ABS with the haircell side facing outward if you wanted a smooth look in the end? Why not just leave the smooth side facing outward?

I knew someone would ask. Lol It was an afterthought. At the time of original forming, I didn’t realize that I might like the flat finish better, which I do., I am planning on forming the smooth side out on the next go. .

1 Like

@TheImmortalJew ha I do things like that all the time… so many small details that I didn’t think of before I jumped in!

FWIW, the smooth side of ABS seems to scratch really easily, so you’d probably have to sand and paint anyhow!

1 Like

Does the battery enclosure affect the board’s flex ?

Also, anyone has any idea where in Europe I could 3d print these enclosures? And how much would it cost, roughly? Thanks

Adding a enclosed on something like a loaded deck would take away flex, or flex you battery witch is not good. For 3d printing try shapways. I don’t know if they ship to the uk but worth as shot.

Europe ≠ UK

Thanks for suggesting that website, but I’d rather stick to some European based service rather than pay billions on shipping

1 Like