EMF / Jacob hub motor polyurethane development

I use paris v2 180mm trucks . For the front wheels i just use 97mm clones.

Ok so these original motors are officially not being manufactured. They have developed a new design. I will still make the wheels with the plates but you guys can explore these new motors and trucks.

I’m using those hub right now. Urethane has been holding up way better than the others. Power is really good for the price. I’ve purchase a couple of @ralphy hubs and make a huge difference. I’m going to try it on these wheels.

1 Like

Downside is the minimum order for those motors is 5 sets.

Can you tell me more about them?

1 Like

I run them with 10s4p battery and using Focbox I programmed it to foc mode. They are super quiet and when I have it in fast mode using ackmaniac app, I get up to 27mph+. It does use lot more juice when in fast mode.

Has anyone here done business with these guys before? I’ve seen them mentioned a handfull of times, but no reviews or anything yet. Those hubs look alright, and the dual VESC + remote seems like a steal as well.

I’m interested in a set of these as well. Actually I’m interested in 2 sets.

So you have ridden them a few months with no problems?

Haven’t had any problem. I’m using sensored as well. If you are riding hills your whole ride the hubs can get hot. At the time they only had orange. I would have gotten black

1 Like

How did you attach sensors to the Jacob hubs?

They are maytech version. The new Jacobs have sensors

I’m surprised more people haven’t bought them if they are this durable

1 Like

It will take more than a urethane reformulation and some sensors to fix the problem these motors had with slipping and loose urethane. Without a new retention method like glueing them on or pouring the urethane onto a metal rotor sleeve these will end up with the same issues the first time you get the motors warm. Buyer beware.

1 Like

In my opinion these maytech hubs are completely different and have nothing to do with jacob’s hubs. They must have higher kv, because @adman told about 27 mph in FOC with 83mm urethane. The original jacob hubs have 60 kv and I get 22 mph using FOC with 91 mm urethane. I would like to see pictures from the inside of the hubs to see how they build in the sensors. Btw. I also implemented hall sensors in my jacob hubs, because in FOC they run crazy from the startup without sensors.

1 Like

Higher KV is likeky to mske them run even hotter.

All the sensored Chinese hubs Ive seen use a pcb at the back side on the stator.

Im pretty sure the urethane just slips over the can like 99% of the hub motors on the market. That design just doesnt hold up under weight, heat force.

Id love to hear some feedback if any of you have at 30-50 miles on these. I have many hundreds of miles on 10 different pairs of hub motors and all have them same problem with urethane to rotor adhesion/retention.

1 Like

How did you implement a sensor in the Jacob hubs?

1 Like
2 Likes

I believe these hubs have 6 nubs so they are less likely to slip completely out of place. I’m sure they will still loosen up in time but they may be more realiable. We can always make bigger urethane and some plates and rods for these. I just need the dimensions off someone who has them and I’ll be happy to develop a solution if it’s desired by the community.

1 Like

yes. They are 90kv.