Elofty Direct Drive

Yes have been using Ackmaniac’s firmware for 1 year before switch to Unity and indeed if you use braking with reverse in his firmware you have ti fully stops then release breaking and engage braking again to go reverse. Thst was made to prevent undesired backwards movement and as result you could also stop and lock your wheels actually. Pretty fun. We should ask @Deodand to do the same and maybe make a mode where reverse is not enable but use same principle to stop at low speed under a certain low erpm.

I don’t have problem as it is now but lo king the wheels ai would like to do same time just for fun. Now I have to press quite hard to achieve a bit of sliding

1 Like

So we measured the eLofty. 60kv. Sorta far from 75kv stated…

6 Likes

Yeh @mishrasubhransu anticipated it. Well actually better if you want to go with bigger wheels. Plus it was also mentioned on the datasheet from Ownboard motor. They gave told to be the same.

4 Likes

Regarding my broken one, they offered a reimbursement of the product, but not the shipping.

3 Likes

What happens if you set the erpm negative limit to zero or a really low value? Maybe you can get the brake without the reverse

1 Like

Can you fight for free shipping? You shouldn’t be responsible with your time or money over a product they failed to ship working…

1 Like

@sofu sorry if it’s been asked before but how do the elofty wheels hold up against some Sr. Pepes from Haggy?

Do you prefer one over the other?

Well yes, i lose $30 in the trade, but i least i can focus my time on trying to fix it and use instead of arguing by whatsapp…

2 Likes

Don’t have it working atm. I did rebuild a test bench battery to replace the dead battery it has atm and still need to install the BMS to get it working.

As for the SR Pepe, we don’t have them and they are 90mms. I can put on some Popocas to check the ground clearance for you but most likely not desirable. Also given that these DD are 60 kv, you can only hit 30mph on 12S with 110. It will be even slower with smaller wheels.

2 Likes

Good attitude to have in life! Everyone encounters BS in their lives, but not all fights are worth fighting for.

2 Likes

Not aiming for crazy speeds, if I buy it at all it’s going on my small board. That’s going to be for school :+1:

4 Likes

So it works fairly well. I set the min eRPM to -500 and so I can still brake hard on a downward slope and have it stop immediately but after stopping it starts climbing back at a very slow pace. Of course this is if you are not paying attention. If you are paying attention, you just let go off the trigger when it first comes to stop.

Ideally I would like it to not go backward so I set the erpm to -100 and it made bad cogging sound. So I prefer -500eRPM to -100eRPM.

9 Likes

Do we know if there was any kind of group buy for these still planned? Or if elofty was working on RKP, or other forms of base plates?

I’m itching to get a set, but not sure if I should still be waiting or not.

4 Likes

@topcloud is the guy to ask.

1 Like

But I would venture to guess that seeing what DD motor config emerges victorious from the eLofty/Eovan/Ownboard collaboration would need to happen first.

1 Like

But I waaaaaant one :tired_face:

1 Like

I don’t understand. Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this just the trade-off of direct drives with more free roll and no gearing? It should always be expected that direct drives need to use more than regen braking, right?

3 Likes

You are correct in saying that. The thing is that the vesc can be programmed to stop any drives completely but currently its only on forked firmware and a it’s not perfect. @Sofu is asking for someone to develop it further into the vesc tool/unity tool haha

1 Like

I did put an abs sheet with standoffs to act as temporary enclosure and took it home from work. Riding slowly because I don’t trust the PETG hubs(I have put 10 miles on them and they don’t seem to have any problems though). Also testing my NESE modules with vibration proofing standoffs(details in NESE thread). Still waiting for the Metr pro but here’s a short video if you are interested. The trip is supposed to be 3.2kms exactly, but vesc is still over reporting the distance. No clue why. I suspect the number of magnets is not 18. Screenshot_20190422-044325

7 Likes

Nice. Man either you work really late or no one is there. Seems like a movie scene where they closed the streets for you :laughing: I was wondering what do you use to upload the videos?

1 Like