Elofty Direct Drive

Yea, hopefully we get a good working battery pack soon.:+1:t3:… maybe all that was a factor… I have 12s5p which it might fit and some 97s wheels …

1 Like

Totally understandable :wink:

I’d like to chime in with my own anecdote on direct drives in regards to braking and heat. I haven’t tested my new TB DD on the 12S built yet but do have the Carvon XLs (85kv) running 107mm on a 10S running dual focboxes setup. Braking at speed is fine but does get weaker as the board slows down forcing you to mostly foot brake to stop. My experience echos @rey8801 where it seems 97-100mm wheels are the sweet spot for 75kv DDs because I had the same experience with the Carvon Exo motors as well. In regards to heat, the larger motor on the XLs fare a bit better than the Exos. The XLs get fairly hot too after a good ride on mixed elevations. I’m beginning to think this behavior is something that is a quirk with all DD in general and you might need to enable reverse in order to achieve full braking for heavier riders and when running big wheels.

6 Likes

I think it comes down to the lower rolling resistance of these motors. Mine even without weight start to roll with the minor slope. it really almost feels as a normal skate wheels with a bad bearing let say. Of course is not the same as a normal free wheels but it’s the closet I got so far. Probably the normal drag from belt motor helps at really low speed where regenerative braking are inefficient.

5 Likes

I have an offer on @uigirouxs Boas so we can get fresh 100s

1 Like

It was quick !

6 Likes

DD invasion

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Skateboarding-Carbon-Fiber-with-Direct-Drive-Motor-Double-Deck-Truck/153441808080?hash=item23b9d82ed0:g:6B0AAOSwqctcsgez

3 Likes

They probably felt the ownboard competition

:grin:

1 Like

Last mile has them in stock, pretty sure Sophia can pick up some it’s walking distance :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Sf last mile also give baesk8 members a good discount right.

Heck. I have some new popocas if you guys wanna try them with those drives

3 Likes

not a lot left at last mile

2 Likes

Oh about the weak breaking issue there was an update put out a while ago to fix breaking for the unity. I have hummie hubs and when I used them before it was updated the breaking was next to nothing lower than 5 mph. The update made the breaking flawless.

Here is a link

6 Likes

Did anyone try the fix I suggested with the unity? Did it work?

1 Like

I got one Thursday :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

Can you update Unity over BlueTooth?

quick update: we’re replacing the barely-used 12S4P battery with brand-new stuff from Miami Electric, buying Boa 100s and test-fitting the Janux wheel, next. thanks for posting all ideas, as always. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yes but it takes a while.

1 Like

@dougpage I think that firmware fix was to fix a quirk where if you’re running big wheels or pnematics, the board will jerk after sliding to a near complete stop. I’ve experienced this issue back when I had a La Croix board running Foc Boxes as it caught me by surprise as I was braking to a full stop, almost threw me off the board when I wasn’t prepped for it. Not sure if that fix applies to the weak braking as the board slows down in the case of direct drives.

Glad you’re giving them another shot to show what they can do.

2 Likes

This is fixing a different issue…

1 Like