Elofty Direct Drive

No doubt they look really nice, stick to belts people :man_shrugging:t2::man_shrugging:t2: Man let’s hope the torque drives don’t disappoint :pensive::pensive:

3 Likes

I keep a close look for some feedback on those Tb drives but nothing so far. It seems like everyone who got theirs already like them too much that they’ve decided to keep them on a shelf for looks lol

3 Likes

I have no idea what this says.

10 Likes

He went on the sf group ride where someone (sofu?) had an elofty drive and tb110s. The drive underperformed for this learned gentleman’s expectations but the 110s were good.

Pinch of salt on the interpretation of results.

8 Likes

I think 110mm are just to big for 75Kv motor. Maybe a 4wd will give the result you want.

1 Like

Can’t say too much about Elofty drives yet. The battery we put on the Gen2 deck somehow died and the metr stopped working in pretty early in the ride. With the setup we had, all I can say is it has good very torque and once you tuned the throttle curve, the acceleration is good. But for braking you can brake hard down to some rolling speed (maybe 5mph). And then you basically have no brake. Not sure it’s the unity or inherent design of the drives. I don’t have this issue with hummies on FOCBOXes and 6.6s.

1 Like

Or maybe Boa Constrictors are the sweet spot.

1 Like

It doesn’t display this braking behaviour paired with ESCs, either. But sure it will get figured out.

1 Like

I had taken this video the very first day I put on those PLA 3D printed wheels. From the video I don’t know if you can see or not how steep the slope is. It climbed that on 155mm wheels on 5S battery. Now that should give one a sense of torque at 10S. So I don’t know how much more torque does one expect from non-geared motors. It can easily handle 110mm. Of course the equation changes when someone is significantly heavier(I weigh 76kg)

The noise is coming from the front MBS wheels on brick path.

2 Likes

Man don’t get me wrong, but as me and others we have a different taste for torque. To better understand I search a torque capable of through you off above 40kmh if you don’t balance well your weight. I am sure they bring you from A to B, that’s fine. What I think @brenternet meant is that when he gave the full throttle the response didn’t give him the feeling he was looking for. I can understand. I also made a DD mad Fury using 75Kv and they are really strong with 90mm, now I use 97mm wheels and they are still plenty strong, but I also said to people who will go them that probably are really nice up to 100mm wheels. Not because they won’t move the board but because they won’t be able to deliver the same torque. Thsts why I am now testing new 60Kv motor for AT set up. It’s all about what you need.

3 Likes

That’s a fair point. I was thinking about videos in which they try to go uphill(comparing multiple boards) and are not able to and that’s how they judge how capable the board is and just wanted to say that this one would be plenty capable at 110mm. Sorry, I might have come off as a bit rude.

Yep thst what I also advice with my DD. To keep nice torque I think is the limit. I use mine at 97mm and they are crazy nice. They are also 75Kv motors. If you go 4wd then no problem bigger wheels.

How many magnets do you have, I am curious?

I got your point and you are not rude at all :grin: hill climbing would be fine with 110mm I am just talking about to feel of power.

A lot 28. I found that the less air gap you have the more free spinning you get. The rolling resistance is really really low the board keep rolling for really long. That one of the thing I really like about it.

3 Likes

That’s a good point. My torque needs are no doubt a good bit lower. But with 90mm wheels, I was accelerating while going up decent grades at 220 lbs.

2 Likes

@Touch415 rode it when the board was at low battery, maybe at soft cutoff.

3 Likes

Thst it’s a pint for sure. At low voltage all the batteries perform badly. Except some lipo

It’s really subjective but I think it’s good that people just try to use different set up and be honest about it. I always say like tried certain dimaeter of wheels. It rides nice but… Just because the torque is not good for me doesn’t means that it is bad for someone else.

2 Likes

If 75kv is too high for 110mm (for torque purposes) where does that leave the Torqueboards DD? They are 75KV and often advertised as best paired with their new 110mm wheels.

1 Like