Electric Skate Cycle Build

OH! its a friction drive! you have grip on the motor can! See, that’s kind of genius actually. I wonder how it will wear the motor and tires over time?

Science.

This reminds me i need a welder. My list of things i “need” is getting really long lol

1 Like

Yeah, friction drive with some skateboard grip tape on the motor.

No idea on wear on the motor and tires. Only time will tell. But I will enjoy it while it lasts! haha. I am careful to try and not overtension the motor and just put enough to keep the motor and wheels into solid contact.

Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to ride it yet in the new configuration as I couldn’t finish the battery part yet. I’m going to be away this weekend, so video will have to wait until next week!

1 Like

Also, get a welder! You would be surprised how much you can do with a Harbor Freight welder. They go on sale for $80 so really nothing is stopping you!

they have rods and acoomodations for aluminum, right? i may have to do that veeeeery soon. Right now i’m hovering an itchy finger over the buy button for an xcarve, which i will need soon… since my channel guy has a life and will not be able to carve my decks much longer.

Unfortunately, cheap welders are only good for steel. The $80 from HF uses flux core wire that feeds through a gun. Hence why my builds are fabbed with steel. If you want to weld aluminum it does get quite a bit more expensive unfortunately.

1 Like

still… welding steel is very useful at times. Especially if i decide to make my son an electric mario cart one day, which totally needs to happen.

3 Likes

I was about to ask what the hell was going on with that motor. That’s pretty awesome. I’m gonna wrap the little beat up sk3 motor that I just picked up with grip tape now, just for the aesthetic improvement. @johnny_261. It’s great how far out of the box (enclosure) you are thinking with your projects. :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Had a bit of time to work on it this weekend.

Here are two quick videos. I’m riding it pretty slowly since my riding is still pretty sketch…

https://youtu.be/X-hr4uejLz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1KC46hpvWA

1 Like

Made a quick cover for it, but going to trim it down and make it a little smaller.

2 Likes

Any updates on the durability? I’m planning to attempt one of these builds.

How does it do on hills? and how’s the braking?