Electric longboard // Beginner

It’s not that easy. Depends what are you looking for. Commute board or sporadic ride for fun. What range are you looking for? Power? Weight? You don’t need to know the parts but what you want. We will then advice you about it :wink:

More like for fun, It’d great if it would have more than 12km of range (7.5 miles). Power? I don’t know, but I’d like to ride on it at least 26 km/h. I’m 188cm and I weight 70kg. Weight of the board is not such a big deal for me

ok fortunatelly these are not impossible specs so it’s feasible. Do you like more belt drive (like Evolve or Boosted Board) or direct drive (Raptor2, Meepo ecc…)? THe first one have the motor outside and other inside the wheels. You can find a lot of builds on the forum for inspiration.

I think belt drive because you can change wheels and I like the look of it

You can change sleeves on hub motors. Since you already have a board it would be much cheaper to buy one hub motor and use a diyeboard ESC with it. To go 26km/hr you might need more series groups eg 8s or 9s

Then the kit options are limited to almost DIY eboard only. Anyhow I would then recommend to build a single belt drive motor in order to stay cheaper but still good quality. I will put a bit of prices below of thing that you can find in different options, so you will which budget to aspect. Moreover find the parts on the used items on the forum will get you better parts for cheaper price, so starts to look at it! Deck: The one you have or a blank deck or good offer for 60 Euro Trucks: Caliber trucks 60Euro o clones for 30$ Wheels: Clones for 40Euro or original from 130 Euro to a lot! Motor: I would say at least 6355 to have fun. You can find good one for 55-90Euro, TorqueBoards, Maytech, HobbyKing, Flipsky ecc… Pulley kit: cheap 16/36 or similar around 10Euro from ebay… VESC: I think the cheapest good quality is the Flipsky 50A for around 60Euro Motor Mount: Can be really expensive but this guy sell them for an amazing price, didn’t follow the reviews though https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/new-designed-a-motor-mount-for-sale-looking-for-review/59212 Belts: From Ali or similar market really cheap 5-10Euro Battery: Here for your range almost everything above 5000 will do the job. I suggest LiIon if you are not use to charge LiPo battery. You can build your own battery, buy a premade one or let someone make it for you. Ownboard sells a 10s2p 30Q Samsung battery (The cells most used in Esk8 at the moment). This guy is selling a 10s2p 30Q pach at a price I have never seen before, so I would actually think about it https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/eu-new-turnigy-sk8-6354-200-kv-used-racerstar-5065-200-kv-turnigy-sk3-260-kv-8s-charger-pulleys-10s2p-samsung-30q/65452/4 90Euro is nothing. Only the cells are around 80 Euro! Of course also a 8s battery will work, but the lower you go the less power. The same for the p value. The lower the less range. I would stay on a 8s3p or 10s2p at leas for Liion. Remote: Strong signal remote for 30-40 Euro Cables and connectors: 20-40 Euro.

TIME :laughing: Do the math… I hope I didn’t forget anything

1 Like

Thank you a lot, in freetime I’ll definitely check everything out.

1 Like

That battery is underpowered. You will get bored really soon. I recommend you to buy a used board or used parts to make your own build. Shippings will waste your budget so do not buy from many different sellers.

1 Like

Hey, after some research i’ve collected those parts. Only things that are missing are pulley kit and belts. Could you send me links to them? (relatively cheap), and i’d like to buy them from hobbyking/aliexpress because there is free shipping to poland (li-po charger I’ll buy in poland)

https://kit.com/xeroxgame/electric-longboard-v2

i didn’t even know kit.com existed. Seems like it might be useful for things like this.

Also, i’m happy that its even possible at all now to build an esk8 for $400 even if the deck or other stuff is preowned. It used to be pretty much impossible unless you had access to machines or a real shop of some kind.

Use a silicone sealant to seal your board. It will be fine. And try to use heat shrink on your connections if possible, it will minimize water/shorting damage.

2 Likes

Thanks for advices! For sure l’ll use them

And also, is there any motor mount to 15$ that could fit to round trucks? And can anyone recommend me good wheels (quite cheap)

Fits Paris styled trucks, so may work.

@dickyho 's mounts are 25$ with a clamp ring for Paris trucks… not 15$ but not too much more.

1 Like

They are 15.50 bucks for the new ones

1 Like

as @Lumaci @philvanzu suggested. It is actually the same motor mount I mentioned in the list before. Al the part you have in kit.com are sold on HK. IF you use HK don’t forget to add HOBBYKING10 for 10% discount during the check out. Pulley kit you can find on Ali https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-pulley-kit-skateboard.html?spm=2114.search0104.0.0.643c2ecdfNvUQC&site=glo&groupsort=1&SortType=total_tranpro_desc&g=y&SearchText=pulley+kit+skateboard. Depends which wheels are you gonna use it.

EDIT: Don’t forget, Kapton tape, 5.5 golden bullet connectors, 12 awg wires.

2 Likes

Sorry for not replying, but as a new member i have limited possibilities. To the point. I can’t find other products from aliexpress on hk, could you link me them? And also, I don’t know how to find pulley kit that will fit properly (i know, you’ve linked me it, but I don’t know which one choose. My wheels are 70mm 80a, photo of them is at the bottom. If they won’t fit could you link me good wheels to max 35$? And you said that Filipsky 50a would be good. Could you check if I’ve chosen good vesc? Here’s the link to upgraded kit (Idk how, but i forgot remote :sweat_smile: )

https://kit.com/xeroxgame/electric-longboard-v2

Wait maybe there is a bit of confusion. Aliexpress is one site. HK means HobbyKing which is another one. Concerning your wheels to small for belt drive your motor mount, wheel pulley ecc is not gonna fit. I would say at least 83mm. >90mm for smoother ride. If you use 63xxmm motors than at least 90mm wheels.

Ok, could you recommend me any (cheap) 90mm wheels and a vesc on hobbyking?

and i also changed motor to 245kv version