Eleanor | 39" drop through | Caliber 2 | 190KV Torque Boards | DIY Electric Skateboard Mount | 12S3P | VESC

Good Afternoon Everyone! I am a high school senior who just got a job so my projects can become more expensive :joy: Right now I am looking to overbuild an electric skateboard that will have a max range of 20-30 miles and a top speed in excess of 35+. Don’t worry I am young and dumb and am ready to drop about $2k. I do ride a motorcycle so safety gear is taken care of.

Current Part List: Longboard - ($250) Custom 39" maple drop through board with caliber 2 trucks and MBS all terrain wheels

190KV Brushless Motors - ($120 * 2) diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/motor-6374-190kv-3150w/

Enertion VESC - ($160 * 2) http://www.enertionboards.com/electric-skateboard-parts/FOCBOX-programmable-brushless-motor-controller/

Motor Mount and Drive Train - ($110 * 2) collections/featured-items/products/single-bolt-on-motor-mount-w-drive-wheel-kit

12S3P Battery - ($455) diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/electric-skateboard-battery-epower-pack-12s3p/

Enertion Controller - ($75) http://www.enertionboards.com/electric-skateboard-parts/nano-x-enertion-2-4ghz-controller/

Customization - ($200) Bluetooth speaker and led lights

I have several questions for you guys: 1)What would the estimated performance of this dual drive skateboard look like?

2)How would I wire the single receiver that accompanies the controller into the circuit with the battery, motors , and VESC’s?

3)Any recommendations on enclosures?

Thank you so much for your advice and opinions!

Ryan F.

If ur spending that much on a battery from @torqueboards, u may as well get their 12s4p that comes with an enclosure and stuff for $50 more. However if u do stick with a 12s3p, check out @psychotiller enclosures. A lot of ppl. Seem to be really happy with the durability and design

But that’s just my opinion

And I’m sure someone on the forum can sell u a nano x for cheaper. Maybe a group buy. Do a search

Yeah, I was considering the 12S4P but I was unsure whether the enclosure would leave space for the VESC’s and receiver.

I think you should get a custom made 12s4p instead of the TB one. Never tried their battery but that enclosure is horrendous

1 Like
3 Likes

@ryanflick use the 12s4p… 12s3p will be discontinued. Our enclosure has room for VESCs and it’s included with the 12s4p pack. About 25-30 mile range from the 12s4p pack.

Why do you say the enclosure is horrendous? They haven’t released an image of it.

What do you say about giving me a discount? The 12S4P is another $100 because you charge an extra $65 for the fast charger(which can be gotten without an extra charge with the 12s3p) and another $30 for shipping(which also isn’t charged with the 12s3p).

@ryanflick There are no discounts for the 12S4P.

You can buy the 12s3p with no enclosure. They are discontinued. 12S3P is $395 with 2A Charger. 12S4P is $450 with 2A Charger. There’s also 12x cells on a 12S4P vs 12S3P which adds to the cost plus a higher amp BMS.

12S4P is definitely worth the added cost which is why we’re no longer offering the 12S3P.

We’ll have some new updated photos soon.

2 Likes

What the max current on the bms you’re putting on the 12s4p?

@t0m_r1dd1e 60/150a

1 Like

@stormboard1 was thinking same thing… its why i click on it

First purchase should be safety gear… -TGS Pass -elbow & knee pads -hip

1 Like

Yup, I have my motorcycle helmet and jacket. My main question here is:

How would I wire the single receiver that accompanies the controller into the circuit with the battery, motors , and VESC’s?

with 3pin connector that comes out of either one, connect the male and female together and who-la…
wire= brown gold red or black white red

if familiar with RC servos same type

Example;

1 Like

Yeah, I’m an avid RC enthusiast. However, because I am building a dual drive skateboard…the receiver could only plug into one of the VESC’s. Won’t this present a problem because only one motor will be controlled by the radio controller?

Motor 1- VESC 1 - Receiver —Bat
Motor 2 - VESC 2 --------------------- \tery

look into canbus

Yup, got it. Thanks dude.

What does everyone think about running the motors sensored or not? Are there any clear advantages to using the motor sensors?

if you want ppl to move out of the way BLDC is better lol if you ride FOC and your riding on the sidewalk… you’ll be like FOC :joy: (FOC is literally silent)

2 Likes