eBoosted Enclosures thread

hmm, that is one solution although very messy, i’d need a lot of epoxy…and a good way to form a mold

oh, and to quantify, the side gap is about 1/4 inch and the front/back gaps are roughly 3/8 inch

If to use epoxy only on the front and back it shouldn’t be too much. You don’t need to fill all area. Just restrict the area you fill out to the frame. Like 2cm or so.

On the sides big neoprene should be enough.

If you have access to a 3D printer you could print a layer for the front and back. Or just take some wood, cut it and file it till it fit our needs.

You can use a heat gun to help it take shape of the deck.

EDIT: nevermind, these are made of fiberglass.

That works with plastic or kydex but these are fiberglass enclosures so heat won’t do much to it.

I just got my beauty in.

20180628_21090620180628_212346

10 Likes

Just wanted to say a thanks to Alan for shipping me a replacement enclosure so quickly after the first one came in with what appeared to be a bullet hole :sweat_smile:

the second one came in perfect condition,

the advice from @mikenyc for a box is one I would suggest, it would stop USPS from treating it like a frisbee that’s for sure :smiley:

i’ve gone ahead and looked for a box online, and this is the closest I could find that would fit most enclosures

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-11386/Corrugated-Boxes-200-Test/30-x-20-x-6-Corrugated-Boxes

only about 2.50$ per box, with the decrease chance of USPS destroying an enclosure. If I could go back, I would gladly pay 5$ more as it would save both the customer and seller time and money.

thank you again for the enclosure, couldn’t be any happier with it @Eboosted

1 Like

I’m not sure how shipping works in Lima or other countries. In the US, FedEx has free boxes. I’ve shipped out 5 decks so far with those boxes. Just get that large or medium one. Open it flat and flip in around so becomes a plain brown box. Do the same with two more boxes, taper the ends of the middle box by cutting the end flaps and connect the boxes together. Pad the ends, then tape up the whole thing.

2 Likes

even better, i do the same with USPS 1095 boxes, but it does take a fair bit of time…

eitherway works!

Yeah there’s that saying: penny wise, pound/dollar… uhh

Pity I never got the falcon enclosure that I paid for and sent my deck to Lima for. At least I got a refund, minus the PayPal fee, a few months later. :innocent:

USPS got smart. The inside of their priority boxes are marked usps priority only :joy:

1 Like

yeah but you can use the 1095 box eitherway, since Alan sends it thru USPS priority mail…

the problem comes with flat rate boxes, those can’t be folded/cut up/ changed from their original shape if you use the same company to ship them.

the 1095 box is essentially a free box shipped to your house you can fold in anywhichway and still ship it since it’s not flat rate.

@osbor I’ll post it here as well, other people might benefit from it.

Try heating the part when the enclosure needs to bend with a heat gun, give it just enough heat so it doesn’t deform too much.

Buy a can of spray matte black paint in order to make it look brand new after the process.

Even though these have been painted with acrylic paint you can use this brand and it matches the color perfect, you can get it at Walmart.

2 Likes

oh, i should switch to this thread as well for added visibility

should i put down some kind of insulation over the deck underneath the fiberglass? i’m a little worried the heat might warp the paint or deck rather badly. or do you heat it off the deck then quickly move it to the deck to press? also, what about putting the whole thing in a 400 degree F oven for a few minutes to get it toasty THEN form?

I suggest just use a heat gun and press it with the hand, if it doesn’t bend work the temp up.

Yup worked pretty well. Took the angle out of that part of the enclosure letting it like flat on the deck, which almost entirely closes the gap around the perimeter. There’s still a bit of a gap but the tightened screws should close that

IMG_20180628_215456IMG_20180628_215438IMG_20180628_215442

HOWEVER, something I just realized, the instructions for the mounting nuts are for the older kind with teeth on them you screw in. The mounting nuts I got press into the wood. The instructions say to use a 7mm drill bit, but is that too thick? It seems like the nuts will be too loose in the wood…but I’m just not a good judge of relative diameter

IMG_20180628_223840

Do a test in some scrap plywood if you have enough?

1 Like

On these new inserts you need to use epoxy, let them dry overnight otherwise they will strip.

I see the heat gun truck worked but the paint cracked, I suggest you buy some sandpaper and paint it with matte black spray paint, it will look perfect.

Use epoxy how exactly? Drill the 7mm hole, put some epoxy in the hole, then press the inserts in and remove the excess epoxy?

Yes. But use the epoxy around the inserts, press them on the deck until they are fully flat to the surface, do not remove the excess until the next day when they are really hard and brittle this way you could just crack them out with a flat screwdriver and a hammer

Alright, well, guess I gotta pick up some epoxy from a hardware store tomorrow