E-skate Law in your Country

Argentina, no clear regulation… and my country it’s pretty fu@#% up lately…

Hi Santino, do you guys have at least any regulation for e-bikes?

Gracias, Ricardo

That’s a very interesting article @skateborad.

Considering that the human body can in average produce 300-400w continualy, one would assume electric skateboards could be legislated to around 800w continuous (possibly 4 or 5x that peak value?) at the wheel - this still seems low, considering some of the setups around.

Is there any bright mind around that can calculate the loss of power due to friction on e-skateboards that use belt setups (as opposed to in-wheel motors)?

It counts as a bike and need to go where bikes go :slight_smile:

En cykel kan också vara ett: A bike can also be.

1 Like

hehe we in croatia can go 45kmh swiss are super tough with speeding they take your car and driving licence!

1 Like

Well the situation in germany was discused a few times in this forum.

But I will try to write what I know. In the german law are esk8 (like many/most modern personal transportation devices) not characterized in particular yet . What sounds like “Well, gray zone then. We can do what we want.” isn`t the case the last sentence in particular. Because what is specified about any serious esk8 is that any transportation device that is meant to be driven motorized only with a max. speed above 6 km/h by construction design is counting as a motor vehicle.

Any motor vehicle in germany to drive on public ground (basicly anything, even private parking lots that have no closed gate which are rare and most of the time forbidden for unauthorized people) need liability insurance , driving without liability insurance is a criminal offense. It can be charged with points in our trafic register (which can cause the lose of the driver license), a fine or even up to 3 months in prison when you -driving without insurence- cause recklessly an accident. The fine can be up to 180 daily rates (a daily rate is the average income a day after taxes of the person, this times the amount of daily rates is the fine) by the way a verdict of 30 daily rates or more in the past is treated as previously convicted by law. The problem is that it`s not possible to get a liabilty insurence for a motor vehicle without registration/characterization of the vehicle.

There are some small kinda loopholes, like a rejected liability insurence registration that can count in court as insured (because of a german law for insurence companies) but in reality this requieres a valid registration attampt that isnt possible because you can`t fill the vehicle class. Or in theory,a special single registration of the vehicle (that would cost you quite some time and money to acquire anyway) which is also not possible with a real esk8 because of requirements like a handlebar and hight requriements for example … maybe a unnecessary big and heavy MTB with some kind of handlebar and 15k€ for the registration could work.

So to get new kinds of vehicles -electric ones in particular- legalized in germany is very hard and takes time, money and lobby work. Pedelecs in germany that support the user up to 25 km/h don`t need a regiastration, insurance nor needs the driver to wear a helmet by law. Ebikes up to 45 km/h need insurance, a license (lower tier than car for people that are at least 16 years old, that requires a low amount of training by german standarts and costs about 600€ total) and also a helmet.

Above 45 km/h they are considered a electric motorcycle needs insurance, a motorcycle license (costs about 2-3k€ the requried training takes also quite some time you need to be at least 21 zears old), you also have an extra yearly tax to pay and of course need to wear a helmet.

1 Like

Yes, on 2017 they did regulated e bikes, but most of the users do not apply de law; I guess because everything here it is applied after an accident or incident, like who is going to pay for the damage or injuries. Below is the new regulation, in Spanish, hope it helps! Other than that, nothing on e boards yet…

ley-bicicletaselectricas-buenosaires33

Thank you for this, it’s clear now!

… only 250w though… who are they kidding?? :-S

1 Like

So in summary, e-skates are illegal in Germany right? I thought there was some effort to get legislation passed for 2019?

Gracias!

Do you know if anyone is trying to make e-skating legal in Argentina?

So this is what the spreadsheet is looking like now. Is there an easy way of sharing the file in here, instead of just having a screenshot?

As always, it would be great if we could get more countries represented in the spreadsheet. Keep your country’s regulations coming so that they can be added in!

1 Like

Yes it’s illegal … even with the potential to get convicted which can make you loose your job and will make it tough to get any serious job again (for the next 3 years, any convict in that time -> 10 years) But I don’t know of any serious case beside one with a 1,5k fine if I remember correctly.

And that law thing thats going on in it’s current state is basicly only for scooters and will replace the exception sagways currently have (requirement of a handlebar and I think hight requirements a eMTB with a detachable handlebar might work for 12 - 20km/h …)

Damn… I can’t understand why they’d make legal only a select few electric modes of transport… :-/

Well (1.) there is the law that states that any motor vehicle need to have a liability insurance (with kinda high possible penalties). (2.) At the same time insurance companies have to specify the correct motor vehicle with it’ precise classification. These precise classifications are -characteristically German- most often to precise tbh and equiped with limiting boundaries so that they disqualify many kinds of modifications and inventions. And (3.) it’s timeconsuming/costly to get new classifications done because of all that bureaucracy, so whithout big investors, lobbyists, big companies or at least a heap of public interest (which has to grow in a grayzone in legal danger) it will be illegal.

Outlaw esk8 gangs is the only way forward. I’ve said it before and I will say it again… Come on we can do this. Some one come up with a good name and we can chapter it all over the world. I have a good contact for ak’s

5 Likes

It is not completely correct. It’s 25kg. and there are no limit on how far you can go in one charge :wink:

Actually there are no limit on motor and battery size or power. “Just” the 20 km/h.

e-skate law in Denmark from 1.1.19 - Can still change.

1 Like

I’m actually a little scared of liking that comment I really don’t want to be on some like IRA watchlist.

@Mich21050 @ricardo Tell me if you see any strange cars parked out front near you.

4 Likes

I don’t know…Did some research, nothing came up…

Thank you for your help mate!

:slight_smile:

Australia Qld just legalized it https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/rules/wheeled-devices/personal-mobility-devices

1 Like