E-MTB Drive Gear with Spur Gears "Directdrive"

These look great!! In the past we had the best luck with a metal pinion used with a plastic or nylon spur for high power rc trucks. To give is a weak point and help save expensive electronics I’m guessing. I’m curious to see how these wear. Do you have any concern about stripping them under high power or when braking? Have you considered a slipper clutch if this wears too quickly. Thanks

Excellent job as always!! Kevin

I caught my fingers in them all the way from the US. Lol! Scary but promising :slight_smile: nice work

Thanks mate, yes i think enclosing the drivetrain will be good. But also its not an easy job to seal it for 100%, and if you got a change to get debris in, which cant came out anymore it will be worse then without… Thinking about sealing the motorspur in a way that no stones can came between the both spurs, so without enclosing the hole wheelsprocket. Greasing will only make sense in 100% closed box, otherwise you will get an nice adhesive for debris… But from my experience with RC stuff with this kind of spur combination grease is not really needet…

Thanks Kevin. Yes we have had good luck too with this combination. I think that maybe a “true” Nylon Spur will be nicer then the actually POM spur. All the good RC spurs are nylon´s as i remember so far. Not thinking about a slipper at the moment, it will complicate thinks alot i guess. Thanks again Bro!

Hey :slight_smile: Thanks Bara Yeah its scary … sticking the fingers from underside in the pinion will made nice meat for Burgers…

So done the first real life tests today. Completely unsealed in IMO bad conditions… lots of gravel and split shit… many burnouts and drifts … about 2.5 hours runtime on the spurs

Its a nice and really direct drivetrain, sounds a little rough/loud compared to belt…but power transfer is nice

Check video footage from today, tried to kill the unsealed gears but i dont win this two hour Battle :smiling_imp:

Hang Looose Jenso

12 Likes

This is great. Kudos man.

1 Like

Seems to be working great. Keep it updated in case you come up with something new or have any updates on the topic :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey. I dont forget about this project :wink: It get stucked caused due the problems with the Maytech Sensor System:

Working on new parts actually…

Made some new Wheelgears out of reinforced Nylon stuff :

Machined some new “spacers” to be able to mount the wheelgear without the Wheel itself, its nescessary because you have to place the cover/housing between.

Mounted on Gear:

Mounted on Wheel:

Placed on Axle:

So the wheelgear stays in place, makes changing tires more easy… Hope to made some progress today with new mount itself and maybe the housing. Keep you updated…

Jenso

14 Likes

Got some progress on the Mounts and Housings :

It gets bigger and heavier then expected, but for the next tests its ok :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

23 Likes

Can you explain how the wheel gear is screwed on the wheel? From the pictures it seems that you have longer hub screws, which just extend into the gear and somehow are tight enough to hold the hubs together… A detailed picture or some explanation would be great!

Otherwise - congrats on the nice progress you have made… I see that you’'ve made some covers for the belt and gears… do you plan to make some motor covers, too some day? Or good air circulation is a must for your motors?

Im asking this, since I’ve started thinking about safety since it seems it is a no brainer for someone with a brains to unscrew the motor from the plate and just leave the place… if you ever left board in such a place where something like this can happen… Been living in sort of 3rd level country, so you got to keep an eye on your stuff if u leave it in the public :wink:

Hey.

Will post some updates soon, maybe you can see better the attachment. Not really thinking about sealing the motors, they need some Airflow for sure. Maybe some “Outerwear” Filters or something like this… But nothing what will protect the Motors for robbery (-:

yeah, exactly, I was thinking of ‘‘robbery’’ scenario…

So a case / enclosure with some vents for airflow would be great to avoid motor dismounting by someone not yourself :wink:

Otherwise, the screws really need to be untraditional type…Torx ones would probably work a lot better than the regular X screws which does not require any special screwdriver heads.

Though, really depends on where you leave your board or do you leave it at all :slight_smile:

Second idea, there could be some sort of plate / case / enclosure for the motor screws… This way it would not require to seal / enclose the motor’s body, just the place where it is screwed to the plate.

I would suggest Loctite 270 for the robbery scenario :smiling_imp:

This looks sooo good. Awesome! I would love to have such set up myself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Easy way is using some special profiled screws. I think its more an uncommon problem, i personally would never leave my board anywhere alone in public.

The piece you asked for is just an adapter which allows to mount the wheel seperate, after mounting the Gearbox housing.

This actual batch of 4 Drivetrains are Protoypes for my personal testing, as i mentioned earlier the parts gets to big in diameter. That means that there is too less groundless.

Its one of many points i will change in next batch, also this wheeladapter part will be different. I will reduce the reduction a bit to get size down, dont wanna downgrade to smaller sized spur moduls.

ANYWAY :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The actual Protos will work for me to get some more experience with this Spurgear stuff.

Lubed drivetrain :

Machined Vertigo Truck to get needet alignment for the Spurs :

First Axle mounted complete with 12S Roxxy´s and 200KV Dymonds:

Second Axle mounted complete with 12S Roxxy´s and 200KV Dymonds:

12S2P ZippyCompact :

Complete Quad drive Board without Tires :

Mounted with some used Mudplugger and Alphas Tires :

Cheers

20 Likes

Benchtest :slight_smile:

Greetz

18 Likes

that is the most beautiful thing i have ever seen… :sob:

4 Likes

I would like to see how someone holds still while pushing the acceleration trigger of this :smiley:

Glad no one can put there fingers in the Spur Gears anymore (-; Hoping that the rain will stop tomorrow, need to take a ride :smiling_imp:

I’m curious as why you ran 4wd with spur gears? I haven’t seen you run 4wd with belt drive and such. Any reason in particular?

Also what kind of batteries are you running on that thing? 12s 20ah?

1 Like

4 Likes

4WD, interesting, would it be possible to make front motor mounts so that the motors are not facing forward? Perhaps just like the rear but pointed up higher? Would this make enough clearance to make it possible? How can anyone resist a 4WD Trampa build (it will weigh a ton but it would be the ultimate offroading eboard)

Interested to see how the spur cut gears hold up after long term abuse. I guess for now, I’ll stick to the e-toxx belt drive.

Also, say the spur gears wear out faster than desired, perhaps a helical gear (as mentioned in previous posts) would last longer?

Last thing, if helical hears causes too much side thrust, perhaps a herringbone gear set up?

5 Likes