Dynamic truck angle based on current speed for stability

Has anyone brought up the idea of dynamically changing the angle of the truck to increase the radius of the maximum turning capability as speed increases in order to increase stability at high speeds and retain a good turning radius at low speeds?

8 Likes

I’m just imagining hydraulic skateboards with huge subwoofers bouncing down the street. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

I feel like your insulting me but the image is so cool I’m going to let it slide.

4 Likes

This needs to be made.

3 Likes

ive never heard of something like that, but this topic might help you if your looking for stability and speed balancing

2 Likes

thank you i will read that

that is a fecking amazing idea. i’ve always tried to make a board that has a decent turning radius whilst aso being stabe at high speeds. i’ve used wedges and intricate bushing combo’s and i kinda succeeded, but damn this idea is amazing.

2 Likes

I think ackermann steering / steering rods and so on is better direction. Or just simple dampener.

1 Like

One of these base plates.

Connected to a large servo

Connected to an arduino

Connected to a vesc to read the speed could work. :thinking:

***plus a high amp regulator for the servo

12 Likes

you’d have to take your motormounts in consideration too though. if you turn the truck your motormount will move along too. i think this will work best with directdrive or hubs.

3 Likes

hmmm… hydraulic assisted ollies :smile:

4 Likes

I was thinking it would make sense to have the pivot point on the board itself just behind where the trucks are mounted because then it would slightly bring the board lower to the ground as speed increased as well.

1 Like

Maybe surfrod adjustable baseplate with a motor?

It takes a lot of force to move a base plate with a human on top

1 Like

rather than switching truck angle you could just switch to electronic steering. This is how most modern cars work by making the steering less responsive at higher speeds, if done well no one can even notice. This would mean that you would not need to lean as for to get sharp turns whilst going slowly.

Additionally there could be the option to transition to 2 wheel steering at higher speeds for increased stability.

2 Likes

Think a liner actuator instead of a servo might be better suited to a tilting hanger. But if you want really tight terns a vertical pivoting base plate on a tilt senser that only activate below say 5kmh might work. I think there will be a lot of play in any system like this and that will be counterproductive to any high speed stabalastion you gained by a lower truck angle. Going to need machining with super low tolerances. Interesting idea pleas keep us posted with pictures of how you get on.

1 Like

@Nowind also used one and a few others as well… though someone should jump in who has first hand experience on this

I know someone even mounted linear dampener on street board

2 Likes

I feel like @MoeStooge NKP 3-link trucks would be a great base for this idea. You could have a rod between the link and move that to achieve the desired angle. The tricky part would be software side and determining the desired angle to speed.

3 Likes

This is something I’ve wanted to do for YEARS, actually been meaning to make this topic for a while too.

I think more than stability the advantage could be just extreme maneuverability at low speeds, because I don’t think you’d really want to cut your pivot angles at speed as much as you’d think.

The main thing is you’d need to have it so the roll axis stays at the same height so that you’re not lifting the rider up/down, which would greatly reduce the torque needed. But you’d also want a system with very little lashback.

OR, maybe you do want the roll axis to change for some reason. You can change more geometry than just the pivot angle if you want. But for starters better to keep it simple.

I would also want to just make it a standalone system, and not part of a normal eskate, again, just to keep it simple.

1 Like

Another consideration is the fact that if your lowering the deck and changing the angle as speed increases you could probably figure out a way to utilize all of the braking energy to bring the board back up and change the truck angle back at low speed instead of not being able to send all the power back to the battery because of amperage limiting for battery health.

1 Like

Why not making a bold step out of the box and dump the old trucks and its horrible lean/steer relationship + rigid axle which are instable by design.

You won’t bring an horse cart to the moon, even with hydraulic and electronic assistance !!