Dual VESC CNC machined Aluminium case

I’ll take about three duals if the discount on multiples makes sense

I know it will be wonderful I promise :+1::shamrock:

Let me send you one I’m having repaired, it’s a vesc-x(there I said it!) but the same physically.

@Martinsp can you do the honours even if this one isn’t repairable? Thanks will of course take care of my bill

Wait you want case there you attach focbox or take focbox apart and put pcb inside the dual case?

I am sorry but I dont really understand exactly what you mean by do the honorous :smiley: But I surely can! :smiley:

1 Like

Oh I understand now… maybe :smiley: You want me to send the FOCBOX to @Kug3lis after I repair (or not repair) it?

1 Like

Yep it’s a plan thanks

Sure no worries, it will hopefully be here by friday so I will let you know ASAP.

@Kug3lis if you need some measurements I have one FOCBOX on hand which I could send you required measurements of before the repaired one arrives

2 Likes

Ahm…

10char

Vote focbox apart, space for a receiver, and if you really want to shine us on - a bms/anti-spark and switch opening

If there was a clever way to reuse the alum baseplate that was also cost effective even better, splashproof-ish or at least as much as the vesc 4 design for VESC

I am by no means a machinist but the easiest way would be to ditch the plastic cover of the focbox and use the aluminum base only. I think it would be easier and faster to mill flat surface rather than the raised section for the fets and the lowered section for the capacitors…

1 Like

My vote is for space for a receiver.

I think I prefer to take the focbox apart as it will be thinner overall. But if its significantly cheaper to make with just the flat bottom I would probably prefer that.

1 Like

I think consensus is leaning towards removing the Focbox plastic shield and keeeping the aluminium baseplate & incorporating that into the design with associated savings if any.

Most builders with the funds for custom enclosures are going to be using dual focbox, trust me on that point. They will also like the fact that CAN comms will be internal to the enclosure and not from one case to another. They absolutely will need space for a receiver & almost certainly require space for a bluetooth module.

Consider the possibility of using cable glands instead of grommets, they provide more stress relief and are more water resistant in general - PG9 threading, a gommet could be provided as well should the person not want to get their cable glands.

This will be killer dude! Can’t wait for my VESC-X to get to you.

1 Like

I highly doubt that it will be cheaper to go with existing alu baseplate cause than making the case it will begin from the same solid block fo aluminum so I don’t see much difference apart work time. But will see then we get focbox. I will be able to provide more info as I am traveling back home tonight.

1 Like

10 cases will be available again after new year as atm post offices doesn’t work until after new year

In case you are working on a dual focbox enclosure, wondering if the heatsink performance can be increased by moving away from a single alu piece. Just an idea, but perhaps POM can be used in combination with alu inlays for each individual direct FET.

The dual focbox will done then we will receive the focbox from @banjaxxed. But I did not understood how POM will increase performance?

With the stock enclosure there is a thick stack of thermal tape in between the alu heatsink and the direct fets. I doubt that this is efficient and in fact I have managed to hit the thermal threshold in the middle of winter on a hill climb.

By isolating the individual heatsinks with the actual enclosure made out of pom you don’t need thermal tape.

Imagine a square cutout in the pom case for each alu piece.

But that defeats the purpose of it being all aluminum lol

The thermal tape has highest thermal conductivity for the isolator. POM has really shitty thermal conductivity. The problem is lack of aluminium mass to absorb the heat. With our all enclosed case, I was able to hit vesc4 with even higher current than it was supposed to hold with low temps.

3 Likes