Doing the (d)rucks

Hi,

There you go. Machined in China and assembled in Australia :slight_smile:

20190405_184442

10 Likes

:+1:

Mounted to a board? Have you ridden them yet?

Not yet. Hopefully in the next 2 days. I had to get some rubber spacer for the baseplates since the Evolve deck has a massive concave exactly where the trucks go.

1 Like

These look pretty cool, interested to hear how they ride.

Have been looking a bit at truck design, the pivot pin on yours looks to be removable and barrel shaped where most others I have seen are domed on the end or some are even using more of a ball pivot. Not sure how that will change contact in the pivot cup.

Are the kingpin nuts just not done up in that pic or are they a bit short ?

Side note, what part of Aus are you in ?

Yes pivots are screwed and glued in. The idea was to remove that extra machining step, also, I wasn’t 100% sure about the exact width which I adjusted on those screw in pivots to meet my requirements on the lathe. Barrel pivots are quite often used on CNC trucks, e.g. Aera uses them too.

Kingpin nuts are just hand tight.

I am from Sydney.

1 Like

How much (AUD) did a set of trucks cost?

Interested in how much it was to cnc and ship them in china. Cheers.

A lot, was $560 USD, so … 780 ish excluding the Ronin Katana stubs, bushings, scews & bolts, pivot, washers, and Riptide bushings.

2 Likes

Well how do super expensive trucks handle ?

Do you have your mounts and everything done also ?

I’m guessing all the options were not available when you started the project but apart from the adjustable baseplate, what advantages do you think these yield vs say the TB218 or Haggy Kahua ?

1 Like

Exactly, I started the project a while ago and nothing comparable was available. Compared to the TB218, they are wider and I have enough space to fit two 6384 with sturdy motor mounts, 15 mm belts and still have about 5 mm between the cans. Apart from that, they have a square profile, a dished bushing seat and as you said, an adjustable baseplate. Got my wheels yesterday, so no chance yet to try them out. Justifying the price, I do have only one board which I use for many years before I do any upgrades, so I was comfortable with the price.

Mounts and clamps are all custom made too.

1 Like

Love your trucks. They are the ones I need for my Alum board. :yum: Are they really that expensive to manufacture?

1 Like

Thanks! As a single run they were expensive, maybe price comes down if ordered in multiples. Additionally, to the machined parts there were a few other bits I got from a local machine shop cough for free, but then bushings, stubs, screws and pivots add up another fraction of the total cost. As said b4, the stubs are from RONIN. I am not sure how likely they will sell more sets? If I ever go back to the design this will be the fist thing that needs a change …

1 Like

Just came across your thread after finding these files on GrabCad. A couple engineers and myself were looking for a project to build here at work, and your design is awesome! I run our machine shop so I already started machining the pieces. I was curious about the axles. I can’t seem to find them anywhere. Is there any reason why the other threaded stub axles wouldn’t work? Aside from modifying the hanger slightly? I know the shouldered axles will be stronger, but I just can’t seem to find them.

Also, I am more than happy to help you out when you need some other stuff machined in the future. Let’s talk!

3 Likes

You can buy some axles off the shelf from other precision truck manufacturers,so I guess he skipped a step there and bought some axles from Ronin. You could get some from Aera, Valkyrie , Skoa, Buzzed

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/doing-the-d-rucks/24973/25?u=moon

Yeah, I got the axle stubs from Ronin, after I figured that getting 17-4 PH material in Aus is challenging, cost intense + I had no clue where to go to heat treat the machined stubs. Bit of a pain since the Ronin stubs are imperial. If I would have had a simpler option + knowledge how to do the heat treatment, I would have gone the DIY route, … all metric of course. I even had technical drawings and tolerancing ready at that time.**

1 Like

:yum:

1 Like