Does anyone want to make a new wheel company? New price - $104/ 4 sets

This is probably a dumb question, but why not use abec/flywheel cores?

People will probably be more likely to buy in if they don’t have to buy a new wheel pulley set.

3 Likes

seconded. Whats wrong with making a ABEC/keegle clone core?

Almost all pulleys out there fit these two cores. Why make a core that will have very little pulley support?

4 Likes

Those molds for those cores are owned and not available while the “house mold” for this core is. I can imagine people would want what would go with the pulley they have but not hard to design and get another made. But I think there’s enough meat there and enough support

But this would be more than a group buy as we’d own the molds so when the initial investors pooled the next 7000 maybe then another 500 wheels.

2 Likes

There are so many clones out there, I’d be surprised if you couldn’t get your hands on some molds at a decent price.

But, as you said, maybe that’s the obstacle that breaks the camels back.

3 Likes

while I’m interested in the idea of a new wheel company “belonging” to the community and can even invest $500 in this, unfortunately I’m already fully invested in the kegel ecosystem, meaning that all of my pulleys are kegel core compatible.

will it be possible for you to explore the same venture with Labeda instead of Aend?

3 Likes

Also, i’m sure there are members on here that are experts at CAD. They can clone the core no problem and make a mold from that design file?

(Unless making a wheel mold is more difficult than that)

3 Likes

I’m not sure what you’ve worked out with Aend, but perhaps doing some smaller test runs of 10-25 sets to test out the cores and formula and get community buy in before going all in is the way to go.

Maybe you can get 30 people to come up with $500 each, but I’d be a little hesitant forking over a lot of money without any idea how good the wheels are.

2 Likes

I’ll write them tomorrow and see if they have that core in a “house mold” and get a price for a…91x80mm center set! I’m not that fixed on any shape or size and would get a quote for whatever shape but I’m sure if I open it up and ask for what shape people want it will be madness with everyone’s different opinion

I’ll look into getting a prototype run of fewer molds and wheels made too

1 Like

If you’re referring to Labeda, I’m sure everyone has access to the Kegel core, since there are so many other companies already using them besides Orangatang. I’m pretty sure they have some house mold and house PU formula available to anyone too. The biggest question for me is what are the MOQ and upfront cost…

I do agree that you should stick to a certain wheel dimension instead of trying to please everyone because that’s just impossible.

2 Likes

Sweet, if those first few test runs are good, count me in for a few sets.

1 Like

Really digging this. If the test runs turn out good and the core is compatible with a decent amount of pulley systems, then I’d be willing to jump onboard. Looking forward to updates.

3 Likes

I have no issue with the investment (even if it requires a higher investment), but how to I get a return on my investment? Would I get a part of the total profit (for me the guy who does the contacts and the admin should get something out of it too, as thats a lot of time for which I’m not interested) or would I get an amount of wheels (as then I would have to sell them myself to get my ROI). Will it be a one off, or will I get funds when there are more sales later? Or am I supposed to chip in on any next batches too, …

Interesting idea at least and it would differentiate my portfolio :smile: (i’m a silent partner in a firm, hence my questions… and no, I’m not richie rich, I just pulled out from stocks and reinvested all in a friends existing business)

Edit: what would the additional cost be to for instance change from 91 later on to 105mm, 112, … Would that require a new mold/new buy-in/…

8 Likes

I second all of these questions.

Thanks for typing them all up!

1 Like

Hummie again, I like the idea a lot but I have no interest in a 91cm center set wheel.

The poll showed clearly that I was not alone in that.

If you want this to work you need to consider the majority and not what you personally need to work with your hubs.

My 2c

10 Likes

assuming we can get a prototype 100 wheels made and 12 molds for 3000$, and that money was raised by 6 people at 500$ each, those 6 people would get 16 wheels each and each person would own 2 molds. When the remaining 84 molds we’d need for full production were bought by other people we’d be at the state where whatever the cost for the 500 wheel minimum was, let’s guess 7000$, an owner of 2 molds would be entitled to ten wheels for 140$.

If the mold owner couldn’t come up with the 140$ for subsequent production runs of the 500 wheels the option would be left to the other owners to cover the remaining needed money and the other owners would get the wheels made. The molds would still be owned by the original owners

Whatever you do with the wheels is up to those who paid for them. Ride them. Sell them.

ill Check the poll again and see what was wanted and get a quote based on that.

Yeah just use the flywheel core… and im not buying that it is isn’t ‘available’ either because there are flywheel clones all over the place which have nothing to do the Abec…

1 Like

@Hummie so this is the price for one wheel with core that you showed? Do you know how much it weights?

1 Like

That’s the price for a 91x80mm wheel at I think 400 grams. I’ll get a price for a 110mm. maybe that’s similar weight as it wouldn’t be so long

1 Like

pulley

Maybe a pulley for the core? Looks like Abec11 was playing around with something like that. Maybe it can be both cores compatible?

Or not… Looks like this core…

Zebra_84mm_88A_Bullet_Green-1

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply! Good for sellers/shops, but not for me as investment, I’m out. @e.board_solutions maybe for you…

2 Likes