Do i add extra small lipo to go from 8s to 12s setup?

Hey guys,

Im currently running two Turnigy Graphene Panther 5000mAh 4S 75C Battery Pack w/XT90 currently giving me 10000mAh 8s. I was looking around Hobbyking and saw this - Turnigy Graphene Panther 1300mAh 4S 75C Battery Pack for £15.

Is it worth it to take it to 12s setup with 11300mAh?

Im running dual Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6364-190KV Brushless Outrunner Motor chain drive witha flipsky dual6.6 plus vesc (when it arrives)

Thanks

No, Amps stay constant in series, so you have an 8s 5000mah battery together. If you want 12s you need another of the same battery. If you connect a different mAh battery nothing good will happen.

2 Likes

Never mix lipo cells that don’t have matching capacity and C rating. And don’t mix different brands either.

4 Likes

Good to know. Thanks both. im new to this!

3 Likes

As said above what you have is either both packs wired in series giving you 5000 mAh @ 8s or both packs wired in parallel giving you 10000 mAh @ 4s. This is all basic stuff and you really don’t want to mess around with batteries it will bit you. Check this out for some info.

1 Like

As others have said, this won’t work. If you plan on getting a matching battery, make sure your original lipos are still relatively new. New and old lipos do not like being mixed. If you have 25 or less charge cycles on your lipos, you should be fine. It really depends on their expected lifespan.

1 Like

Oops. I did some research and apparently turnigy graphene cells have a much higher life expectancy that regular lipos. So assuming you have been relatively gentle with them, adding new ones to the mix might be fine

1 Like

You may want to read up a bit on connecting batteries in series and in parallel and how that affects the total voltage and capacity. It’s not rocket science. (Random link from Google.)

3 Likes