DIY Wheel Casting

After reading about px90 it seems px60 should be added in proportion to achieve a 74 shore rating for proper rebound for longboards

Mixing px60 and px90 is a good idea!

Oh yes, thatā€™s great!

Xencast works with 2-part silicone, in my quick test with aged silicone. That is you can made detailed mould and donā€™t worry about getting small details stuck in there. Mould with seprataed walls althou two part silicone can be flexed to rid the mould of negative surface part

Adding reinforcing fibers would be nice as well to support small details. Maybe even metal powder as ā€˜hardā€™ abrasive resistant element

This is my casting project so far:

SAM_2301 SAM_2303 SAM_2305 SAM_2306 SAM_2308 SAM_2312 SAM_2314 SAM_2315 SAM_2316 SAM_2317 SAM_2318 SAM_2319 SAM_2320

Goal is a AT PU sleeve for a landwheel drive based on my front MBS AT wheels. I already did one first try ā€œPi mal Daumen / pi times thumb :smiley:ā€ which came out unusable but I learned a lot of it about silicone and PU handling. One big thing was centering. This time I used a M8 screw used for first centering and holding the Original wheel and then for the cast holding and centering the sleeve. Now its time to wait for the results but Iā€™m pretty optimistic. I canā€™t wait to cast the second one so I can test it on the board :slight_smile: edit: And yes, I just casted the new PU on top of the original one, before I did that I used the dremel to cut it in different shapes so the new PU would get really good contact. In the first try it turned out to bond impressively.

edit: Here is my first try:

landwheelMeetsMBS

22 Likes

mh would this method work with casting real rubber? And does anyone know a vendor for rubber?

1 Like

IMG_20181031_164011 not perfect yet but almost :slight_smile: I still have centering issues but Iā€™ll solve it next time. This time I wanted two sleeves to try out the pu :slight_smile: so far its looking good :slight_smile:

7 Likes

are those the sleeves you made? they look like the real thing. nice work

2 Likes

Just in case: The casted wheels are the one next to the floor :slight_smile: Iā€™ll take better pictures soon :wink:

Still thatā€™s a killer result. How did you center the mold and the original wheel? And I havenā€™t ridden yet your olā€™ hubs :pensive: itā€™s raining all day!

I used m8 screws and a printed hub for the sleeves :wink:

2 Likes

The new version (and hopefully the last):

signal-2018-11-02-151316

This time the centre screws are mounted rock solid :wink:

7 Likes

nice work. How durable is the Resin you use?

thatā€™s a good question, so far it looks good but I didnā€™t drive much with them. the two I already casted are not well centred and thus vibrate a lot. funny thing: when I drive rough roads the new sleeves are way better but on good ones it vibrates like hell (my glasses shake :smiley:)

2 Likes

lol ok. can you link your resin you used?

I used PMC 780 dry by Smooth On.

3 Likes

Really nice you! Now I am curious to see how long the PU will last. Good job!

The first acceptable version:

SAM_2327

I feel confident about them and have put the red loctite on the screws :slight_smile:

16 Likes

It looks sick! Super nice.

Looking great!!! Any wobble on the rotation? Looking forward to seeing this one age well !

No major wobble on rotation, no. When spinning the motors its almost as silent as with the original PU. Iā€™ll try them on the road later today :slight_smile: The left wheel (right one on picture) I cut away a little bit too much making it a bit irregular but it should work anyhow :slight_smile:

3 Likes