DIY Trigger Style Remote with Telemetry - Complete Guide

I will update once mine come in. I bought 3 different ones just to test…

ok looking forward to your tests. i think im going to use a small voltage regulator like this http://uk.farnell.com/taiwan-semiconductor/ts2940cz-3-3-c0/ic-v-reg-3-3v-2940-to-220-3/dp/7261373 basicly going to feed it with 5v and ground resulting in stable 3.3v

Omitting high power consumption (still acceptable though), how hard would be porting the code to following ESP32 platform?

That would solve most problems and will allow much easier replicability.

ive seen that board yesterday and it looks like has alot inside for its price. if i had enough knowledge in programming i would have definitely tried.

meanwhile that company is specialized in wireless communication, they claim they get their parts from japan and germany also they are using genuine nordic nrf24 chip. i got 2 from these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-4GHz-rf-Wireless-uhf-Module-Power-Amplifier-E01-ML01SP4-Original-SENET-1-8km-2-4g/32806320077.html?shortkey=eUB7RJZv&addresstype=600

these are from the same company but with integrated antenna

depending on space constraints the one with integrated antenna might be the one for the transmitter but either way im gonna try the first one with short whip antenna and see how it goes.

That’s the shielded one I ordered, should reach me next week I hope…

hope it works, looks like a good chip but we will see :slight_smile:

This is the same module and company I pasted yesterday. But going back to this almost ready ESP32 dev tool there’s ChibiOS nunchuck code written by Benjamin that somebody with more programming knowledge could port to FreeRTOS that runs on ESP32. Adding joystick or hall sensor and we’re set with almost no soldering.

The ESP32 looks super cool but coding for it is waaaay over my head. Hopefully someone can take up he challenge!

1 Like

So I got some of the new NRF modules in (not the shielded ones yet).

I compared two identical receivers, one with the old ceramic antenna, and one with the uFL antenna. All other things equal, same arduino, same copper tape shielding, same 47uF tantulum cap on the 3.3V line. In this case I tried the smaller module which LOOKS like it’s a better build… The black module in the middle looks exactly the same as the ceramic cap module just with a uFL connector instead.

The one with the antenna is a clear winner, much longer range on the bench and I suspect will be the same outdoors as well. I highly recommend to use this style of modules moving forward.

I am waiting for the shielded module to put it into my transmitter.

I was researching a little more… looks like a port MIGHT be possible… I’ll see if I have enough time to try this…

1 Like

This thing is programmable using Arduino IDE

Yes I know, but doesn’t mean you can port over everything so readily…

Dude I love the project so far. You are miles ahead of anything i could do at this point but you’re such a inspiration to me! Thank you so much for the write up! Would love to build

this is really awesome and I’d love to make one, but I’m shit with electronics, arduinos and stuff like that. But I really like this project and want to help, so aside from being really sad for my lack of skills, I could print the remote for anyone who needs it and does not have access to a 3d printer (at least in Europe, as I’m located in Italy) for the price of material+shipping.

2 Likes

@FalconNL

Glad you liked it, hopefully you can attempt building one.

@JamesNothing

We all gotta learn sometime!

you’re totally right and I think I’ll give this a try once I’ll have a little more free time. in the meanwhile if I can help someone else with it I more than glad to do it. I work with 3d printers for a living (sls machines) and we have an ultimaker2 for fast prototypes use, so putting some remotes on it is not a big deal for me :slight_smile:

Working with 3d printers seems like a fun job!

You should prepare pricing for the 3D prints

I can get nice materials like petg or things like colorful XT (co-polyester) relatively cheap, so the material price should be in the vicinity of 2-3€ for a complete set. I’ll search some low cost shipping companies (any advice here?) to keep the final cost as low as possible.

2 Likes

Wow! Really cheap

It really depends were your from with shipping prices but in most cases if it is a small package it is usually the government owned shipping company that will be the cheapest

results are expected, thanks for taking time and budget for testing all these modules. i think the shielded one will be better and you wont have to use copper tape. im also currently waiting for mine.