DIY Trigger Style Remote with Telemetry - Complete Guide

If you are editing the board yes, you can change track width.

But will it update automatically in the layout? Tried to change to 0.4mm track clearance and track to track width and nothing happened.

I believe u need to reroute with the thicker traces

I desoldered the ceramic antenna on the Rx and replaced it with a 2.4ghz whip antenna (Frsky RC antenna). Instant range boost!

Problem is I tried doing the same on the transmitter and it just was not happy at all… Had to go back to the ceramic antenna.

Other changes I made, replaced the current DC boost with a DC boost LC filter combo. So far not sure if this helps but cleaner power is always better in my opinion.

I have also ordered sheilded NRF modules with a ufl port for a whip antenna (no more soldering like above). Hopefully this will end all problems associated with range.

it is only range related i hope? you dont have any connection problems while riding without any modifications?

Quite honestly I have only had one known instance of lost connection but that’s due to brownout when climbing. Since resolved with 1000uF cap on the 5v input.

And that’s in my 100s of km of riding with these style of remotes.

I am just trying to make the connection even more stable and reliable without weird mods like strategic copper tape here and there.

yes i read that post, im also going to add some low ESR 1000 cap. well practically it replaces 220uf one which is in the original design. yea whip antenna is a good idea are you going to use that module which you linked earlier? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sale-price-holyiot-smd-nRF24l01-PA-LNA-wireless-module-nRF24L01-ipx-antenna-long-distance-transmission/32791996740.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.WhZhyb im waiting for battery and new 8x5 magnets then i ll order the 3d printed parts from my friend. i hope it works out well because im used to trigger style remotes so thanks again for this design. i tried to build this with what i had and instead of soldering the pins i modified some IC sockets to make them seperable like you recommended and it gave me around 19mm with arduino installed but i still miss nrf chip at the bottom so it going to raise it to around 22-23mm i guess. is that too tall for the internal dimensions of the case?

1 Like

Gotta feeling that’s too tall. I had to remove the plastic holders on the pins under the Arduino board to fit.

I am putting my bet on this NRF module… 2.4GHz nRF24L01 PA LNA Wireless rf Module Power Amplifier E01-ML01SP4 SPI SMD 2.4 ghz Radio rf Transmitter Receiver for Arduino http://s.aliexpress.com/eUB7RJZv?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard

Only worry is if it will fit.

i built the receiver and it has like 1 meter range :frowning: my original receiver has like 15 meters of range theres wasa wall in the middle when i tried that. same parts but one has a pcb in the middle i wonder why theres such a difference

https://forum.mysensors.org/topic/1153/we-are-mostly-using-fake-nrf24l01-s-but-worse-fakes-are-emerging

What’s the difference between the two receivers that you built?

as you know its the same thing on the receiver side, 1 arduino and 1 nrf module. they were exactly the same except one was built using cables other one was using the pcb. the one with the cables had solid connection with a very good range. like i said there was a thick wall in between and i got at least 15 meters of range before i lost the connection but with the one i built earlier today i barely had 1 meter range and connection was constantly dropping. like webst linked i think those nrf modules are shitty. probably the one you linked with the antenna will be much better. its fairly small and it should fit to the pcb. i almost forgot, i didnt use copper tape.

The cable version did you use copper tape?

Also, both were from the same supplier?

I had a slightly similar experience although no where as dramatic. Maybe 8m vs 6m…

I also have no idea why the PCB would make such a big difference. In any case now all my NRF modules have a small cap on the 3.3v line, copper tape on the module and a modified antenna (transmitter has no antenna).

yea same supplier, both receivers lack copper tape but i will get some and use it. i dont think its the pcb probably something went wrong or it was a really bad chip or something. sadly i dont have any other nrf modules to further test but i ll have some to feed my curiosity :slight_smile: how small is the cap on 3.3v?

I use a 47uF tantalum cap on the 3.3V supply to the NRF module. I originally reported that it didn’t make much difference but my own unscientific observations have shown that it might.

Most noticable differences have been dropping the transmission rate to 250kbps via the code and adding the antenna.

What I find most curious is that my very first hacked up remote with a rats nest of wires never had any of these problems!

i did try couple of things today like adding a cap to 3.3v line, shielding the nrf module, modifying the antenna, touch up on solder joints etc etc. non of it seemed to work. the longest stable connection lasted for 30 seconds from 1 meter range its just terribly unreliable. i read alot of things about these shitty nRF24L01+ PA LNA modules. most of them have strange problems as well, its kinda up to your luck if you get a proper working one. so im getting another nRF24L01+ PA LNA model with antenna and see if it works. these are the threads regarding the problems and possible fixes. https://forum.mysensors.org/topic/3719/nrf24l01-vs-nrf24l01-pa-lna https://blog.blackoise.de/2016/02/fixing-your-cheap-nrf24l01-palna-module/

But this wasn’t a problem with the wired non-PCB receiver?

I did a ground test and got maybe 20m away in direct line of sight. Honestly that’s more than I ever need for esk8 but more range wouldn’t hurt!

This module/company has good history according to that thread: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/E01-ML01DP5-Ebyte-2-4GHz-20dBm-2100m-nRF24L01-SPI-Wireless-transceiver-module/32638720689.html

nope this wasnt a problem with non pcb receiver and i got those nrf modules about 1-2 months ago. after that ordered another 2 nrfs to try out your version and these 2 modules have exactly the same problem and behaviour. i desoldered everything from pcb and tried with cables, result was the same so pbc is not the problem here. people on forums say step down voltage regulator like LM2596 must be used for stable 3.3v and use it to power nrf module along with LC filter but some tried and did not change a thing. some say it works etc…

yes i just bought 2 modules from this seller. im already curious about the result but unfortunately at least 3 weeks until they arrive