Diy electric skateboard enclosure

Their not and my board is a little flexy

That’s why the enclosure breaks. FIx them to the deck with some strong 3M velcro at least the battery. You won’t have any problem after that. I ran a 3D printer enclosure for months before moved to a fiberglass one. With fiberglass you can also let the component free although I always advice to fix them to the deck. The enclosure should only sustain itself adn protect the electronics component. On top of that your board is a bit flexy, I am actually surprise it last so long. It is apparently a good enclosure. If you do the same with some thin ABS enclosure it will crack after few rides. Here few pics that show what I mean IMG_20180521_105537 IMG_20180613_154049

Use Kydex, this thing is thermoformable in an oven and thick enough. The problem is it would stiffen your board if you cover whole bottom.

you cant use resins itself, it will be very brittle use some fiberglass mat with epoxy, then it wont break

I agree it looks like you have torqued the screw too tight. I have the same enclosure and I haven’t had any cracking. What I did was place some rubber insulation strips under the enclosure and then used the washers that are half metal and half rubber to put under the screw with the rubber side down towards the enclosure. I haven’t had any cracking and I don’t mount anything to the board.

With the option of making an enclosure out of carbon fiber or fiberglass, is fiberglass generally the better material? I’ve compared their properties but nothing beats real world experimentation.

IMO the biggest advantage of carbon over fiberglass is the looks, but its harder to work with, conducts electricity , blocks signals, and when you scratch it it does not look so nice

on the other side there’s the cheaper, easier to work with, able to be dyed so when you scratch it its not so noticeable, fiberglass. I understand the carbon fiber hype but for our eskate purposes IMO its not needed by far especially for enclosures if you vacuum out the extra resin you will maybe have 100g difference in an enclosure, and who cares about that?

2 Likes

can you give me links to buy this stuff

Your local hardware store should have it

fiber glass ive never delt with it

I’ve recently done this. Works like a charm.

1 Like

You need to buy some matt, around 400g per m2 or something like it Polyester resin Hardener/ catalyst That roller for painting on the wall And possibly also the roller with the pokes so you can poke the airbubbles Also i would reccomend you to get some resin dye

I made my first enclosure of fiberglass against the battery for two layers snd then a couple og Carbon fiber 200gr/m2 mats. The Landy EVO deck did flex a bit before but now its stiff as weinstein.

What about the socks and underwear method?

1 Like

@Harpsaco that’s my link… I’m showing a basic walk through of how to do fiberglass with the most basic of tools, nothing fancy like vac forming… but remember this general rule of thumb… you have 3 options, fast, cheap, and good… now pick 2 and forget about the other… if u want fast and good it’s not cheap (need specialty tools and experience) u want good and cheap, it won’t be fast (my guide), u want fast and cheap… well it won’t be good, don’t rush when working with composites, take your time and it will always show

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/custom-battery-enclosure-no-specialty-tools-method/61809/5

I also did it recently for the first time and beside the newbie mistakes I enjoyed the process. I just wanted to say that a cheap, but efficient way, to create a vacuum bag is by using a vacuum bag for clothes storage and your regular vacuum. You will only need a ply sheet to ensure a smoother surface and easier release of the enclosure. You can see few pictures here https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/first-build-the-avenger-jet-spud-dual-hubs-motors-custom-10s3p-30q-maytech-vescs/52437/41?u=rey8801.

@Harpsaco

thanx everyone