Diy battery pack using Basen 26650 hi drain Li-ion cells

I have to admit though, that Supower has by far the nicest wiring diagram!

Love what you are doing here @Namasaki. I received the @jacobbloy hubs today and am waiting on a couple of the Enertion VESC’s to arrive, so have been debating which way to go in terms of a battery pack. A compact pack, with high capacity based on 26650’s, and the simplicity of a BMS/laptop charger sounds like gold to me. Really interested to see how you progress - good luck!

2 Likes

I also was trying to figure out good efficient pack for powering dual hub motors. I’ll post what I’ve posted in another topic: Samsung 25R18650 in 10s3p would give you 60A - 270 WH 7500Mah. vs **BASEN 26650 in_10s3p_**would give you 90A - 500WH 13500Mah.
**BASEN 26650 in_12s2p_**would give you 60A - 400WH 13500Mah.

Both 10s3p and 12s2p seem like a good option for powering dual hubs.

1 Like

So how did you make out on your batts in the end?

Still in limbo waiting for BMS to arrive

really cool cells, looking forward to your experience with them. so far I have always ruled out the 26650 format, because enclosures get much bulkier compared to 18650 cell enclosures. the stats look really great though! :slight_smile:

There only about 1/4" larger than 18650 cells and you can get by with half as many so it’s just a little thicker and takes up less deck space. Wish the A123 cells had higher capacity. They would be the best by far.

Do you think these cells are high quality enough to use without a BMS?

Your thread has me contemplating swapping a Yuneec 7S3P 18650 pack (batteries are 2900mAh) for a 8S2P using these batteries. That will give me the little boost I need to keep the E-go interesting without messing up the aesthetics or reducing range.

You would need to have some way of balancing the cells at least during charging.

Maybe I have misunderstood some of the post I have read, but I have seen @whitepony mention on a few occasions that he doesn’t use a BMS and hasn’t experience drift. Maybe he is doing the balancing outside the board.

@Hummie Doesn’t balance his lipos either and just monitors the voltages. Surprisingly balanced still. I imagine it’d be a different story over 100’s of charge cycles.

with a bms you don’t know the voltages of cells and I bet there’s a lot of packs that would be capable of more watt hours if people knew what voltages they had and could pick out duds and replace them. Not saying a bms is a bad idea but just saying. I like monitoring cells and charging at 400 watts with one plug

Do you notice any significant voltage sag using a 10s1p setup with these cells? If not, then this is very intriguing since you could build a 10s1p pack for like $100. The only downside’d be the relatively low capacity of the pack (4500 mah), but at 166.5 WH, it’s still better than boosted’s original boards at 99 WH.

Are there any threads on building a pack without a BMS? I imagine it’s fairly straightforward but more along the lines of best practices as there are probably a few differences vs a BMS configured set up.

I can make a new thread if my questions are derailing this one.

I think the reason that boosted keeps their batteries at 99Wh is so that you can legally take them on airplanes

Yeah, that’s exactly why.

Is that the tac weld work of these welders that can be found on Amazon?

Uploading…

I have one of those. It works very well. Even the hand held electrodes work on .15 mm strips as long as it’s on full power and max pulse. It never popped the breaker either.

@Eboostin Check out whiteponies builds

I think these are quality cells but I really can’t say for sure because I haven’t been able to use them yet. My experience with HK Lipos is that they never drain evenly so I would use dual low voltage alarms, one for each pack to avoid over discharging any cells. And I would use a balance charger to avoid over charging any cells. It is my understanding that the BMS keeps cells balanced during discharge as well as charging. Just plug in the charger to the external charge port and walk away. Doing 10s or 12s with Lipos and a balance charger is a hassle. Using a BMS with a simple plug in charger is a luxury. One other thing, anytime you charge Lipos, your suppose to remove them from the board and put them in fire safe bag. And when your done riding, take them out of the board and store them in a fire safe bag. And keep an eye on them while charging. I keep all my Lipos in fire safe bags and inside a fire proof safe.

1 Like