Diy battery pack using Basen 26650 hi drain Li-ion cells

A123 though. Good stuff.

@Namasaki did you need to use a buck converter to power the light on this button?

No I just connected the 2 wires for the light to a servo plug and plugged it into an empty channel on the receiver. So it is running off the 5v from the bec. that powers the receiver.

2 Likes

Those are the 3100mah basens I didn’t use those, I used the 4500mah basens. They are truly 4500mah, I tested them 30a cont discharge(per manufacturer) although Mooch guesstimated them to be 25a continuous witch is still more than 18650 cells.

Your saying that all Basens are fakes and rewraps. Seems like your exaggerating Mooch’s comment out of proportion. Truth is Mooch rated the Basen Black 4500’s in the top 5 And as you can see by Mooch’s chart below, the Basen 4500 way outperformed the LG hg2

1 Like

TFound a way to make my battery meter show pack voltage instead of percentage.

UPDATE 6/18/18 The newer version of this meter does not require soldering jumpers. Just install the surface mount switch.

6 Likes

Care to elaborate? I found out the hard way that 50% battery really meant like 20% range left, and had to push the last mile, so I don’t trust the % readings anymore. Has that been your experience?

@Mobutusan This mod is for the Drok battery meter

And requires the addition of this switch

This video explains the procedure:

After completing the mod, program the mod by holding the Kdn button, turn on power and release the Kdn button. Now you are in program mode and can select the battery type and cell count by pressing the Kup button. Next press the momentary switch that was added to enter the meter functions program mode. Now press the Kup button to cycle through to F5 then press the momentary switch that was added and turn off power. When power is turned back on the meter will display voltage and the bar graph showing battery level.

8 Likes

Does this work for lipo ?

Yeah I’ve notice they aren’t that accurate either. It is just a voltage meter… You’d need to have s BMS doing accurate measurement to get decently accurate state of charge.

Yes, it works with Lipos

I compared this meter’s reading with my volt/ohm meter and they both gave the same reading.

That’s the BMS I’ve been using on a couple of builds. It’s great! We used a loop key to separate the electronics from the charging cycle. Now, everything is off while charging. I like the power switch too.

Your build looks amazing

1 Like

Thanks for the compliment. About the loop key, To cut power from the Vesc and receiver while charging? Sounds like a good idea. I mentioned in another post that I believe this BMS keeps the pack balanced during discharge as well as charge. I want to test the theory before claiming it as fact and will be doing that shortly. That would be a huge benefit if it does, especially for Lipos.

That is my understanding too. I believe it does keep the cells balanced during discharge. The loop key was needed to isolate the battery and bms, from the vesc. I didn’t like how everything was active while charging.

About balanced discharge: We put 17miles on this build (8s5p) and we still had 42% left. Also, No voltage sag the whole ride. Sensored FOC might be the ticket!!!

The voltage being accurate isn’t the only calculation to get accurate state of charge readings. It is fine for DIY but different batteries have different voltage curves. These volt meters read battery capacity as a linear line. It will be a little off from the curve that batteries discharge at.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_measure_state_of_charge

I agree with you that these meters are not accurate at calculating percentage of charge. Thats why I modified mine to read total pack voltage instead. Now I can monitor my pack to make sure it doesn’t dip below 32v under load. And thanks for the link, I bookmarked it.

Outstanding post/project! Now that you can see voltage in real time, how much sag are you getting on the 2p Basen set-up?

The voltage sag on the basen 10s2p was too much for my tastes. Since I do lots of hills. going up this a 10% grade, it would sag 30-40%. Didn’t have the meter mod then. It was ok on flat ground with excellent range. Just no bueno for hills. So now i’m back to Lipos. Check out my 10s1p Lipo build capable of 300a continuous. Voltage sag with this pack on the same hill is only around 10% or less ½-1v This Lipo build was so much easier to do than Li-ions and because of the reduced voltage drop, less amps are pulled from the battery making it go farther with less mah. I haven’t done a full on flat ground distance test yet but I will soon and I’m expecting to be impressed.

2 Likes

Hi Namasaki ,i’v got 14 volts 00473mah 3s 16p lith ion running on my board but am really dissapointed with the results maybe i’m asking too much and this is on fairly flat ground.whats the minimum capacity that i should be looking for to get best results?if you could help this would be great.