Diy battery pack using Basen 26650 hi drain Li-ion cells

Spaghetti

3 Likes

Shrink tube crimp connectors are DOPE!!!

4 Likes

can you explain more on how you crimped them?

1 Like

You crimp them with crimping plyers just like automotive connectors. Then heat them with a hot air gun to shrink the casing. I added the black shrink tube in the middle as an extra in case the crimping tool cut through the insulation. I made a solid connection and I could not pull the wires back out

1 Like

So far, I love this bms with its built in E-switch. There is no spark at all when I connect the final battery cable The only down side is that you have to turn the bms on to charge the battery so the board is live when charging.

7 Likes

I can imagine that you can loose the cap for the charging plug while riding :joy: it is nice but we have to deal with too much vibration. Maybe you lock it with a pin or whatever :wink:

it is a thread protector that I got at the local hardware store. I bought 3 of them. there cheap. It is soft and fits tight so it doesn’t come off easily. Time will tell though.

nice job, very clean! :relaxed:

2 Likes

Almost finished. Need to screw down the rear cover. Put trucks back on and swap out motors. Then road test

I’m charging my battery now. The battery meter says 100% but the charger still has red light. Should I keep on charging?

I’d say yes - these battery indicators do not measure voltage very precisely and might show 100% quite early.

1 Like

Thanks and yes, it did exactly as you said. It’s good now.

4 Likes

Lol is the labeling so you don’t mix up what green and red mean? Or is that for our benefit?

Maybe just plain OCD

Where did you get the charging port?

dont’t mind the meter at 100% and the led still red, it your BMS working and balancing the cell. (This process may take some Time depending on the bms you’ve bought). Always wait for the Green light. (This mean the bms don’t need current anymore, so it is safe to go)

2 Likes

I think it is one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Charging-Replacement-Hoverboard-Balance-Scooter/dp/B01A99T37C

From the battery burner SWAGBOARD

1 Like

it’s gonna catch fire!

The battery was their problem, not the connector… Research!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edit: in fact the form factor of their connector in pretty nice and make the connection easy. ( and charger are pretty cheap)