Diy battery pack using Basen 26650 hi drain Li-ion cells

Yeah, that’s exactly why.

Is that the tac weld work of these welders that can be found on Amazon?

Uploading…

I have one of those. It works very well. Even the hand held electrodes work on .15 mm strips as long as it’s on full power and max pulse. It never popped the breaker either.

@Eboostin Check out whiteponies builds

I think these are quality cells but I really can’t say for sure because I haven’t been able to use them yet. My experience with HK Lipos is that they never drain evenly so I would use dual low voltage alarms, one for each pack to avoid over discharging any cells. And I would use a balance charger to avoid over charging any cells. It is my understanding that the BMS keeps cells balanced during discharge as well as charging. Just plug in the charger to the external charge port and walk away. Doing 10s or 12s with Lipos and a balance charger is a hassle. Using a BMS with a simple plug in charger is a luxury. One other thing, anytime you charge Lipos, your suppose to remove them from the board and put them in fire safe bag. And when your done riding, take them out of the board and store them in a fire safe bag. And keep an eye on them while charging. I keep all my Lipos in fire safe bags and inside a fire proof safe.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF9fhlr9S5s

4 Likes

Whoa. Got my attention. Gotta get some lipo bags and a better storage and containment system for my lipos.

Great work on this pack. If these Basen cells perform as expected, I think this will me my next battery project.

Ya, I’m wanting to be done with Lipos. Too much hassle, too much danger.

2 Likes

I havent used a BMS in a while now with my liion packs. I think it is sort of risky unless you know very well what you are doing. a few things help getting away with that:

• quality cells
  • know exactly whats bad for liion chemistries and avoid it
  • leave enough headroom when you are charging/discharging

the last thing is quite important incase serial packs ARE actually drifing. if you dont max the voltage/cell (4.2V), then a little drift in a serial pack wont do much harm. another nice side-effect of not going up to the manufacturers max, is an increased lifetime of your battery.

taking a look at typical discharge curves, here of the LG 18650HG2, you can see that charging beyond 4V/cell isnt actually overly useful anyway:

on a sidenote, I made a battery just yesterday and without BMS cables, its really quickly done: Carbon Jet Spud | Freebord Bindings | Single VESC | 10S3P LG HG2 - #76 by whitepony - ESK8 Builds - Electric Skateboard Builders Forum | Learn How to Build your own E-board

3 Likes

Thanks for the info! I would prefer to use a BMS but it’s more of a packaging constraints issue.

Another option is to use a lower amp bms and wire it for charging only. This way you could use a much smaller bms and still balance your cells every cycle. You would still need to be careful when discharging that you don’t go below 20%.

Update: Finally getting around to welding cells. Still waiting for BMS

5 Likes

Drilled holes for balance wires so they can run between the spacers.

3 Likes

Update: Got tracking number from BesTech for BMS. From China to Germany to Italy so far. Wonder how many more countries it will visit on its way here! At least it cleared Chinese customs.

Looks like it’s taking the Silk Road to get to you

Actually, I think they gave me the wrong tracking number.

Lol so if a kilo of heroin shows up…

Don’t be surprised lol

1 Like

Well I hope they just gave me the wrong tracking number and didn’t ship my order to someone in Italy.

arrivederci bms

That would suck!

I’d hit them with an email to make sure…

If they mess this up and delay me reading this thread…I’m gonna be pissed :rage: