DIY 6S to 12S BMS with CAN - DieBieMS

ID 10 10char

Such animation much future :nerd_face:.

:sparkling_heart: @everyone :

6 Likes

@rpasichnyk, w00w that looks so nice!

@JTAG now we need DiebieMS to forward CAN-ID over uart so we can connect the metr.pro to the BMS instead of the VESC (makes more sense during charging to keep the VESC off)

metr.pro (UART) ==> (UART) DieBieMS (CAN) ==> (CAN) VESC1) || (CAN)VESC2

@JTAG Danny - just about to put one of your great BMS units in service - ( from Sam batch 2 ) Could you please confirm start-up actions as below

Use DieBieMSTool 0.20Windows Connect PC to BMS usb power up BMS from battery pack +ve and -ve from tool - download FW 0.20 to BMS Configure settings from tool and download to BMS Connect balance and charging leads

Thanks

1 Like

@rpasichnyk Roman - does this mean that if the DieBie BMS has a metr-pro module connected to its usb port ( and no vescs involved) the metr app can see the bms and provide real time cell voltages ?

Cheers

Question - How does the power switch integration work on the DieBieMS when matched with a FocBox or similar that utilizes it’s own anti-spark switch?

Does the BMS signal the ESC to power up or vice versa?

Second this!

1 Like

I was watching how my DieBieMS is charging. So beautiful. I was watching and watching, and then strange thing happened: the cell voltages switched places or something for a split second

mov

Afterwards it jumped back. This looks like a bug @JTAG or I don’t understand something?

3 Likes

Seems like it gets sorted for a Split second

1 Like

Also getting pretty hot right now with 4A charger 15 Is it safe? Will it stop at some point?

Yes that is a bug: https://github.com/DieBieEngineering/DieBieMS-Firmware/issues/1

It is fixed in my current code but this with some changes still need to be released.

That looks high indeed, strange, I charge my skateboard with 8A and it doesn’t get that hot. Did you change the “Max enabled balance resistors” value in the balancing tab? Should be max 5.

1 Like

Yes I have 5. Here is my configuration, I use mostly defaults http://codepad.org/oweiony8 My BMS has no airflow, packed very tight in the enclosure

You only have the LTC temperature sensor enabled ( tempEnableMaskBMS 4 ), so the read temperature comes from the heat of balancing. It might indeed be the very compact build and the high thermal resistance why it gets so hot. You could try to lower the “Max enabled balance resistors” and therefore reduce the heat.

Regulating this automatically is still on my desired feature list :).

1 Like

typedef enum { TEMP_EXT_LTC_NTC0 = 0, //1 TEMP_EXT_LTC_NTC1, //2 TEMP_INT_LTC_CHIP, //4 TEMP_INT_STM_NTC, //8 TEMP_EXT_ADC_NTC0, TEMP_EXT_ADC_NTC1, TEMP_EXT_ADC_NTC2, TEMP_EXT_ADC_NTC3, TEMP_EXT_ADC_NTC4, TEMP_EXT_ADC_NTC5, TEMP_INT_ADC_NTC6, TEMP_INT_ADC_NTC7, TEMP_INT_SHT } modPowerElectronicsTemperatureSensorMapping;

You can enable an extra sensor (TEMP_INT_STM_NTC, this NTC sits next to the switching electronics) by setting the tempEnableMaskBMS to (4+8=) 12.

2 Likes

Hi, I’ve got one problem and Im not able to figure out why:

• Redid the balance connectors
  • Charged form 3,4V/cell to 4,1V @ 10S
  • *Is preconfigured to 12S (Recieved it like that)

After I power it on, it shows me the start screen and a crossed battery symbol. Then it just turns off. Im not able to connect it to my computer (Mac and Win. tested).

It behaves lake this with and without balance connector attached.

Any idea why? @Samau18 thought it maybe was because of the low voltage (34V @ 12S**) But now at 41V nothing has changed.

one of the LED’s also blinks when the USB is connected + the LCD shows “bye”…

http://gifsstore.com/public/upload/gifs/15368611571536861142.gif

telegram-cloud-file-2-246227574-387211-7724610070488373603

2 Likes

Ok so the bms turns on when you connect the computer.

Do you maybe have to install some additional drivers? the chip is a CP2102, there should be driver available for every OS. Can you check this?

After that you can update the firmware as described earlier and you should be able to configure it to your pack. 2.8V per cell is low but not so low that this warning should occur (depends on the voltage configuration).

2 Likes

I’ll try it right now, thanks :slight_smile:

Edit: It worked!

1 Like

@JTAG Danny I have slight problem with BMS not enabling charging Have a 10S 10Ah pack and are using BMS for charging only. Pack is connected with 40.6V - all cells are below the soft cutoff , it is balancing , the power light is off and a 45V charger is connected . Could be something to do with 100% SOC disabling charger? Have set pack Ah to 100 but SOC stays at 100% . Any way to ignore SOC for charger enabling?

Many thanks 2018-09-14_9-28-30

1 Like

Can you enable / use it in discharge mode (is it just charging that isn’t working?)?

@JTAG Danny I am only using BMS for charging What are the conditions that need to be true for enabling charging? Cheers