DIY 6S to 12S BMS with CAN - DieBieMS

I know you guys explained the CAN Bus connection several times. However for the sake of clarity, kindly explain which wires from the BMS side is which.

Obviously the Focbox has 4 pins , and the BMS has 5.

5v cAn L cAn H GND

Noting the colors, which is which ?

1 Like

I have tried to go through the documentation. Would be good if someone could verify it:

This is from the schematics of DieBie MS.

And this also. I have numbered the pins. So number

1. is Enable CAN,
  2. is CAN 5V,
  3. is CAN L (low),
  4. is CAN H (high)

Not sure about the VESC though. Haven’t done it myself yet. Thereof please someone with experience should verify it :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

This helps :facepunch:t4:, thanks a million

This is correct!

The can connector has 5 pins however :stuck_out_tongue:, last pin, pin 5 is gnd.

Sorry guys for the missing manual. Now that the bms tool is getting useable I will start to focus on the manual.

8 Likes

Finally able to plot bar graphs: image

This is just dummy data to test the graph plotting but it looks good already. Will now attempt to make the BMS send the individual cell voltages to the bmstool.

9 Likes

Bar graphing works! Now with real data :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:.

Anybody have a suggestion on how to intelligently and automatically zoom without the range changing all the time :sweat_smile:, can’t think of a good method right now.

5 Likes

Fixed scale based on cell chemistry/cut off settings? (e.g. for LiPo form 3.7 to 4.2) otherwise for cell drift maybe with minimum interval + cell status (e.g. steps depending on drift, but can’t go below 0.05V and range is depending on overall soc)

1 Like

Hello Danny (@JTAG),

witch kind of NTC Thermistors should we utilize?

If I’m not mistaken there is room for two?

Is there any command to test if they work? or will the SW implementation come later on?

Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

Yes you can use up to two NTC sensors, preferably use 100kOhm @25 degree C type sensors.

You can configure the beta value here: image

When you connect the NTC and configured it you can enable it by setting the “Temp sensor enable mask Battery” to 3 if you connected both sensors on the balance connector. Set it to 1 if you have only connected a sensor to NT0 and set it to 2 if you have only a sensor connected to NTC1.

You should now be able to see the value in the realtime window: image

9 Likes

great! Thank you for the detailed explanation :smiley:

@JTAG you rock!!! :open_mouth:

In order to have a single executable on Windows, you need to compile static build of Qt. The easiest way I can recommend is to use these awesome scripts https://github.com/martinrotter/qt5-minimalistic-builds and tweak them a little bit. Remove -skip qtconnectivity and -skip qtserialport because you need that and follow instructions.

Also, I compiled DieBieMS-Tool for mac. When you are ready to do it yourself, let me know if you need any help :slight_smile:

Please do not put DieBieMS-Tool builds in git, it hurts me a little :sweat_smile: You can use GitHub Releases for that :wink:

11 Likes

Thanks thanks, I will try that!

Yes master I’ll change my life and be a better man on github :nerd_face: (soon).

11 Likes

You might consider to post about your BMS on Endless Sphere forum. You can start a new thread and update all changes on your first post. Also you can put your BMS for sale on ITEMS FOR SALE - NEW page.

1 Like

Jtag’s******

1 Like

Is that some kind of code? Who do I contact to buy one of these wonders (BMS)?

You buy them from @Samau18, but it’s @JTAG who designed and created it

Get in on the 3rd batch!

Sign the form and sit tight cause production will begin once the 50 interested orders are in!

Just did, Thanks.

BTW: I ordered one, but can order second if this will make the difference. Keep us posted. Maybe others will order more so we get it going. Do we have some kind of manual or YouTube video how to?