DIY 6S to 12S BMS with CAN - DieBieMS

This would be better asked on the Focbox unity thread since i recall seeing a post about this on there or something similar. Good question though, @Deodand, is the unity’s canbus port a simply plug in for the diebiebms?

No problem!

I wonder just as wel on what would be the best way to implement the Unity with the BMS, on protocol level there wont be a problem, on the power electronics side there might be, I have no idea how they implemented the switch but there will very likely be a neat way for them to collaborate.

2 Likes

Yep we will get it sorted and share! Should be fairly straightforward to figure out.

1 Like

I saw they implemented high side switching witch lm5060 which I also considered for my switch. It would be sufficient to tie the enable pin of this ic to gnd and have the bms to cope with all of the power functions.

1 Like

I need on of this where I can get it and how much shipping included to US

You can still get onboard :smile: not sure how much shipping to the US is though. @Samau18 may be able to answer that

Charge current is only 15A Question My setting for my battery min is 15 2 motor This mean if I break really hard I have 30A come to my battery I believe this bms will not work correct ???

You will be charging trough the discharge/load port (as you should), this will be no problem at all!

1 Like

I just read the thread about the metr.pro upgrade, just awesome progress!

But now, the VESC is kind of the CAN master when using metr.pro and need to be powered on before the communication gets active. I prefer not having my VESCs energized for an hour or longer during charge.

Does the D.B.MS forward CAN data? if so I would be able to connect the metr.pro to the BMS serial port instead of to the VESC. This would open up some possibilities:

• The VESC would not have to be powered-on to monitor the charge process or battery state.
  • Metr.pro would be able to send push messages when charge is done or if there is an issue
  • With push-2-start I would be able to check my battery state before rolling off
  • At some point the BMS could also store VESC logging to the SDcard.
1 Like

So I might have missed it but what is the current amp capacity for discharge of the unit?

So I am waiting for my DieBie to arrive. What is the recommended charger for a 12s setup? What are you guys using.

If I have read correct info. It is recommended that charger is about 3V higher than the full charged voltage of battery.

https://www.meanwell.com/productPdf.aspx?i=327

https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/MEAN-WELL/HLG-480H-48A?qs=u4fy%2FsgLU9PVn6yM5LRg%2bg%3D%3D

Ive read that these could be good for the DieBieMS. Could be useful fo you :slight_smile:

1 Like

So what is the status of the phone app? Is there one for IOS?

metr.pro works like a charm, not for configuration though

damnz, those meanwell’s are expensive :anguished:

for my 10S setup I use an aliexpress power supply, 42v 3A, I paid something in the range of 25€ just search for “10s lithium charger”

1 Like

Right, I’ve just bookmarked those because @JTAG had mentioned them somewhere.
Additionally, I believe you need an extra 3v on top of your nominal voltage for your charger, so having the adjustable Voltage and Amperage so those are nice for that flexibility

What do you mean? You are not able to configure VESC via metr app?

Metr.pro is designed for VESC and works great for logging and configuration!

They are currently integrating DieBieMS features (state of charge with fancy animation), no configuration page for DBMS (jet?) you can still do so via the terminal and CAN fwd (ID:10) in the app.

1 Like

@JTAG would you reccomend cell level fusing in use with this?

@JTAG didn’t see it anywhere, but would this work with Hobbywing Max6 ESCs and off the shelf Turnigy cell packs? Do I need to have a Vedder based ESC?