DIY 6S to 12S BMS with CAN - DieBieMS

The MAN himself!! Thanks for taking the time to reply. So in this “c” column, wire 1 of 14 is gnd 1 on pcb, wire 2 is c1… wire 7 is c6, wire 8 flops around unprotected lol, wire 9 is c7… w14=c12? Edit: better lighting 20180720_082453

1 Like

No problem! Column B and C are both ok, but C has my preferende.

Column A will result in smoke :sunglasses::sunglasses:.

2 Likes

This looks good to me (column C).

I usually build harnesses and adapters so I can split the pack and use hobby chargers to check capacity/health and rebalance. But it takes more space and is more delicate.

rofl is that a penis?

1 Like

Shown actual size too

2 Likes

Before connecting the balance connector to the BMS please please check with a multi meter with the black lead on the GND and the red stepping from C1 to C2 to C3 to C… whether you get incrementing voltages.

2 Likes

Haha if it’s to scale you don’t need a multimeter to check voltage

1 Like

Better penetration and resolution (sensitivity lol)

@JTAG @deucesdown and a phone call from @Namasaki , your input has been enlightening. Collectively you have bridged the gap between what I was pretty sure of and what I’m pretty confident of. Hopefully my understanding will help somebody else in the future! Thanks guys

1 Like

@JTAG I have a question about the precharge circuit on this bms. I am using a huge capacitor pack, which is 23Farads. Is that going to be problematic for the circuit? Just wondering if there’s a limit to what the e-switch can handle

1 Like

23Farads? On the load side? Or as a battery?

23Farads it not an intended load for this bms XD you might have to upgrade to a higher values pre charge resistor and change the pre-charge timeout value in the source.

1 Like

Lol, yeah they are rather ridiculous. I had a feeling that might be a problem. I’ll probably use something smaller with the bms. What size resistor would work for this cap pack? Or maybe about a 7F pack?

What are you doing with Farads as caps on the load side of the BMS (picture! :stuck_out_tongue: )? why are they there?

I do not have the bms installed yet. The capacitor pack is inline between my batteries and esc’s (as close to the esc’s as possible). LOL, you’re right to question that though, definitely not the right place to put them.

Updated my wiring diagram to show the intended power LED switch wiring. Ignore other versions of this figure in above posts, I’d change them but can’t edit my old posts. The issue was that I had the LED between 3v and LED Smart, when it should have been between LED Smart and GND. This worked, but the LED does the opposite to what jtag intended (it’s actually not as bad as it sounds :wink:).

diebiebms_wiring

5 Likes

Another happy DieBieMS user here. Such amazed!

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/no-words-just-pictures-delete-words-use-pm/2992/6240?u=rpasichnyk

Can we have new firmware (binary file) with push to start (external CAN power up)? Will be adding support to Metr app and need a little help @JTAG :wink: When charger plug is connected do not shut down VESC (make this configurable). Please please

9 Likes

Yes yes, will make this available asap (I am currently on a holiday in the UK and am only allowed minimal “hobby” time (she is asleep now, sshhhh dont tell her!))! As soon as I am back at my man(only)cave I will build and test a version specific for esk8 (recently I added a bunch of stuff to make it useful for an e-foil, I will need to retest everything when that is all disabled). Directly after releasing that ill finish the user interface for the computer and that will allow you to possibly implement some of those interfaces in your app, and man that would be freaking awesome!!! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Yes charging during discharge is already coded into the firmware and is configurable ^^, I actually wrote it to allow me to use the TCP - bluetooth - vesc - can - bms bridge :blush:.

11 Likes

@JTAG about the large capacitor pack, and the precharge circuit, if I were to use an anti-spark connector (as150) between the bms (load+ terminal) and the capacitor pack and esc’s, would that serve to “bypass” the precharge circuit on the bms? For example, I would power-on the bms, then connect the bms to the caps&esc’s via as150…? Just curious, don’t want to damage anything on the pcb

So you are using caps for the ESC that are rated with a value in farads? Unless they are as big as a couple of times the size of your battery they are most likely nog suited for a high current buffering application that an ESC needs. Can you share a type number just to make sure?

https://emperformanceproducts.com/product/ripple-voltage-filter-energy-booster-cap-pack-23500-uf-12s-max-volt-8awg-wire/

These are the ones that I’m running EDIT: mine is 23500 uF version

Ah ok, looks like this might work without any changes straight on the output of the BMS.

This does not seem to be a cap(bank) that totals in the farad range, it is 23.5 mili farad :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

Lol, you are correct sir! Hahaha, I am an idiot. I forgot to check my symbols. That’s great news (except the me being an idiot part) thanks for the enlightening reply