DIY 6S to 12S BMS with CAN - DieBieMS

Did you run any test on how much amps it can handle ? I might be interested for a unit.

I believe it would make a difference in order to get production going.

Both @Samau18 and @JTAG have some Youtube videos that you can reference for setup

I canā€™t recall the exact number but it was over 100 amps. You could look it up here

I donā€™t mean to be rude or anything but why is this better than say a bestech bms? My knowledge about bmsā€™s is still in a very very early stageā€¦

Just looking for a quick answer

Lots of good features and can handle higher amps to safely be used without bypassing for discharge afaik

1. Its configurable from 6-12s setups
  2. Has CANBUS support so you can connect and talk to the vesc
  3. its own config tool
  4. Future addons like USB-C PD (Use you laptop/mobile charger)

Would you recommend me getting this? Is the Diebiems something like focbox unity, only for super high-end systems? So basically anyone exept people with a crazy build are going to benefit from it.

This is my build

You dont need super high end build to use this bms. Its more expensive but thats because its a robust all in one system so no need for anti-spark anymore. Everything youā€™ll need is on the board and like the previous posts mention, its highly configurable to suit any build from 6s-12s.

Thank you for the explanation. Also thank u @Klaerke91.

Iā€™m going to stick with a bestech bms since itā€™s half price.

2 Likes

No problem. Bestech is a good brand as well! Should suit your build fine

1 Like

So I do not have the cable to connect CAN between the DieBie MS and the VESC. Are the connectors JST 2 mm 1.25 mm pitch 5 pin on the DieBie MS and JST 2 mm pitch 4 pin on the VESC? I havenā€™t been successful finding these cables complete. Anyone selling these or having spare? Edit: Never mind. I will buy and make some.

I have included them in. 5pin connectors with cable and 4pins connectors with cable. You will just need to solder them up. I didnā€™t make a premade 5p to 4p cable since the length is quite customized.

Sam

2 Likes

@Samau18 and @JTAG Guys, it looks like you build a premium product and you are selling it at a premium price, but if you hope to sell a lot of it, and God forbid, make a back or two, please, please, please provide good instructions and description. What I see on YouTube is just not good. You will get many more people buying your product once you build consumer confidence. Thatā€™s no brainer I think. Guys that already used DieBieMS, can you please give back to the community and write some feedback?

2 Likes

@SpeedyGonzales Iā€™m not sure what you are trying to get out of this criticism and if you understand that it is actual not a product but a open source project. No one is actual saying you should buy it or is advertising the bms, and I am pretty sure that the people who are buying it actual are involved enough to understand how the BMS works. And even if they donā€™t they understand itā€™s an open source project and not a ā€˜ā€˜Premium productā€™ā€™. Also the title of the this topic says enough ā€˜ā€™ DIY 6S to 12S BMS with CANā€™ā€™ and not ''Premium 6S to 12S BMS you should buy". In the beginning of the very first vesc there were also not clear instruction or fancy a interface but over time the community and Vedder created to what it is today.

The ā€˜ā€˜Premium priceā€™ā€™ as you describe it is almost cost price and if you would actual be aware of the components prices you could already see that itā€™s actual quite cheap.

4 Likes

What Iā€™m trying to get out of it is very simple. I would like to painlessly put that BMS into my battery pack and make it work like a charm. I would like to see it rise to the level of VESC so everyone who is buying FOCBOX will buy one of these BMS. I think that this is that cool. Do you have a problem with that? I already ordered one and willing to buy more. I donā€™t care what the price is. I can afford anything. I understand that this is still early, but it is definitely more than DIY. That title is meaningless by now. Battery%20pack-1

1 Like

Damn @SpeedyGonzales you are so cool! Can you afford 25 DieBiez so we can close the third group buy? Also with 25 Metr Pro modules, cause they are gonna work sweet together!

mov

18 Likes

How?! Explain this wizardry ! Is the Metr mod taking info from the vescā€™s thatā€™s connected to the bms via canbus?

Metr module talking directly to the BMS via CAN bus. Oh, not directly, but through UART. CAN bus works in a such way that there is literally two signal wires connected through everything (thatā€™s why it is called bus). Same two wires, CANH and CANL and you can connect multiple things to them, for example 4 VESCs, 1 remote and 1 BMS. Each thing can receive and send the data.

Geez @rpasichnyk itā€™s working, I wonā€™t be able to hold outā€¦ which vesc6 firmwares does this mighty combo work with?

@SimosMCmuffin is working on his BMS also. I guess if both project share the same protocol, it wonā€™t be so difficult to make your app compatible with both.

BTW, how does your VESC counter script differentiate VESC from BMS ? Does it need to be for instance ID #200 or some high value ?

3 Likes