DIY 6S to 12S BMS with CAN - DieBieMS

Interested. Are you still available? I live in Korea.

So excited about the resistor test. It is so nice that you make some load Tests!

2 Likes

All that smart goodness that we are putting on our boards gives me lots of ideas :smiley:

@JTAG, would it be possible to startup the board (enable pack power to the VESC) by means of pusing the board (like some commercial boards)

When I push my board, the VESC led lights up, hence there is a little 5v generated. if this 5v rail is connected to the CAN power enable pin,… could that trigger the powerup sequence of the BMS?

If integration between VESC, DieBieMS and @solidgeek simple nrf remote goes further, a power-on/off feature could also be realised from the remote control.

2 Likes

Wow never seen this feature :astonished:, I like it! It might only need a very small hardware and software update :zipper_mouth_face:.

2 Likes

IMG_4323 IMG_4331

Ok a quick update. I have 17 pcs tested working. 2 more waiting for replacement parts.

Although I have the giant load tester ready, I realise I don’t have good enough of a battery source to test it at 80A. I have a couple layers of pure nickel strips on my 12s4p pack, but I fear it may still be not enough for a “semi” continuous 80A test. Not wanting to make you guys wait any longer; I will leave it to my batch 2 to have my fun with it(will take video).

So my estimated ship day is early next week, when I have the final ones fixed. Sorry it took a while, but there are a lot of testing to be done without automatic tools to tests. Each pcs was tested manually.

Testing sequence

1. 12S, ESC loaded
  2. Power up
  3. plug BMS USB
  4. read State (Should be load enabled)
  5. Test pack charge (55V, 2.4A)
  6. read operating state (should read charging)
  7. Test ESC loading (run motor)
  8. Test Canbus access to DBMS

*Note I am unable to fully test the balancing capability of each board, please test charging your pack initially with caution.

16 Likes

Wow, this looks fancy :heart_eyes:.

@Samau18 u said 120 shipped? I am interested for round 2

No problem, will put you on the list

These look so great, I can’t wait til next week!! :smile:

1 Like

IT HAPPEND:

(my display is water damaged, I removed it, that’s why you can look trough the window and see the LED’s on the BMS)

I can now enable my board by using the power button OR by kicking against the wheel OR by just placing it on the ground and start pushing the board once (like those kids or sporty people do) xD.

And exactly what you described; I already had the VESC CAN bus and +5V + GND connected to the BMS for firmware updates and acces to the BMS trough the Metr bluetooth module and the VESC, I only connected the CAN_ENABLE to the +5V and made a small firmware update (to go to normal mode instead of external mode when an external power on signal is applied) and the video shows the result!

This day ( 1-7-'18 EU date method :stuck_out_tongue: ) will be the day the power button died and will no longer be implemented in my new builds.

14 Likes

Wait, you rely 100% on auto sleep for turning the board off? My inner fear monger is getting anxious. :slight_smile:

I just got it working 30 minutes ago, but it works so good that I was willing to state that ^^.

No more awkwardly leaning forward to enable the board, such life hack, such improvement :blush:.

Edit: ( it has no sleep, it just powers off completely when not used for a configurable amount of time )

4 Likes

That is a killer feature thanks for it @JTAG

1 Like

That is so awesome! now I seriously can’t wait to receive my diebieMS

1 Like

So I’m set to receive one of the new DieBieBMS and wanted to know, for that push to start, what would I need to upload and do to the hardware of my BMS to implement that?

@JTAG Just looked up the board dimensions in this thread, is 140x60mm still accurate? I measured my custom pla-printed battery/electronics enclosure and it should fit (barely :thinking:)

Great news!!. Any update to the PCB? I am ready to order the new boards for batch 2.

Batch 1 ready to be sent to Hong Kong. Will provide tracking as soon as I have them.

5 Likes

Just measured again 140x 60, but you need to account for the balance cable sticking out to one side

1 Like

Hi … also keen for a board as well how do I get one

Why do they need to be sent to Hong Kong I thought they were ordered from there, and then you did some work on them and then they were finished.?

1 Like