Discussing esk8 deck: "Doobie" 39" Deck with Kicktail & milled out area for electronics

I think I’ll cut one of these out today. I have been pondering whether or not to use these wheel well surfaces on this board. The wheel bite is pretty good, but could be maybe optimized a bit more, for huge wheels and risers.

I am going to go back in at some point and make some more tailored shapes and I’ll make a directional top mount, as well as a semi cut out deck optimized for the mold.

3 Likes

Awesome. Any chance of video? Love to see the tools at work.

I’m loving this design. Reminds me of a esk8 tailored cantelated tesseract.

I would love to see the chamfers on the sides a little more aggressive of a angle to reach a more traditional deck thickness. This will make the profile look alot more sleek.

2 Likes

Can’t we just proceed with that current shape?

3 Likes

I like the shape, just one comment. Would inward mounting motors foul on the potential enclosure? If you can cut a deck and get one to me, I’ll make you an enclosure. You’ll then have a deck that works and is more saleable with an available enclosure?

Is that the CNC I can hear revving up?

6 Likes

I really do wanna get my hands on this deck. I bet i could modify my current psychotiller enclosure to fit. Stuff my 12s4p in there and have a running board in no time.

A bigben enclosure would be great.

1 Like

Big Ben, I’m happy you’re in on the convo. For making enclosures, wouldn’t it be the most awesome to have a mold with the contours of the deck and the fixture together? I can whip one of those puppies out if you don’t have access to CNC services. Might be wise to put a relief cut around the enclosure base would be ideal for all things, including ergonomics, h2o ingress, and manufacturing. I would really like to do a nice good base deck like what we’re talking about in this thread, but there are additions we can design in which are SO cool! How simple do you want to make it?

Question for all: Are the sizes 534 x 150 a standard enclosure size for anyone so far?

Moon Yes I want to cut this deck today. The other day in the stream I only had 1 hour to give in exploring shapes and I wanted to do 5 different shapes, so didn’t get nearly enough time to really make badass shapes for this mold.

If we want to add a feature later or multiple features I can put the board back down on the CNC table after it is already cut.

Skunk, I’ll try to remember to take some photos or video of the cut or parts of the cut.

Chalupa thank you. I love loaded too. The tessie is probs a good ride for its concave and rocker, but I’d say the tail might be too short for power manuals with confidence and a high ride height. The wheel flares are a bit herky for my liking as a wider stance rider. You might want to try putting a big thick tail guard on it, to decrease the pop/contact angle.

I really want to get into design, throw some 18650s in this, and a foc box or something, and then see just how low profile we can make the enclosure.

I think I am going to take my time, incite a bit more discussion, and let’s finalize this, and make it tonight.

I might do some youtube live.

2 Likes

Do some youtube live and ill likely watch it and comment

1 Like
1 Like

I have to say @drangboards these look awesome

9 Likes

Oh… i totally have a flat pack that would fit that right now.

2 Likes

how flat? 10

3 Likes

Kate Hudson

10 Likes

As flat as you can get Samsung 30q, short of using a hammer. Basic 12s4p flat pack.

1 Like

10 Likes

Accidentally disliked when I closed the tab lol

Is the deck ready for cutting

2 Likes

I want to see one cut

1 Like

I’ve been thinking I wanted more. Even if I’m not putting holes for the enclosure in yet, or wire channels so the enclosure doesn’t need wires coming out of it, I’ll add that later.

This deck will be a learning experience anyways, as I think it might just end up breaking (Just don’t know yet).

I added these tail reliefs to cut the weight down, The tail might save us a quarter lb of weight. Idunno, but here goes nothing. I’ll do some filming and take some pics, but here’s the final render.

image image image

7 Likes