DIRT MACHINE | Trampa Holypro 16 ply | Vertigo trucks | Superstar hubs | Unik Polaris 6374 150kv | E-toxx black direct drive | Vesc 6 | 12s

What I forgot to mention is the poor range of my battery when riding in cold temperatures. The last 2 rides (at -1°C and 5°C) I had only 12km range instead of 20km (with 12s 8Ah lipo), that’s a huge difference.

3 Likes

That’s really interesting. I didn’t notice any big range difference and the last rides where with -6 degree outside.

1 Like

@rich what’s your setup? At 8C with my 12s 20ah pack I was only getting 19km on flat pavement

1 Like

Yeap. I just came back from a ride in the rain and it was awesome.

1 Like

The range difference is normal. You have the biggest range around 20 degrees. If you go around the 0 degree, you range would be around -30%,-40%.

This is all this is all temporary and does not damage the battery. When the temperature rises, it will disappear again

3 Likes

I think it was more a statement and information for us than a question why that happend :wink: I wonder why my range isn´t significantly less even with -6 degree outside. One other thing is, that the capacity will become less if the battery is at 0 or similar, but my batteries never get that cold. I start from home with room temperature, let´s say 25degree. After some minutes of use, the batteries start to get slightly warm. I would say they nerver get below 10degree. Maybe the reason why my range doesn´t change too much is the fact that I anyhow can drive max 45min till the battery is empty and i need to get a new set from the warm home place? :thinking: Need to infestigate a bit more this winter. Maybe i should also install my temp sensor close to the battery to get some more exact information.

1 Like

19km? With pneumatics or gummies? Seems like you can win a medal in poor range, damn.

I use 6374 149kv SK8 motors (but had the same range with Trampa and Maytech motors, too) with Vesc6 [motor 80A | brake -40A | batt current max 50A | batt current max regen -15A each Vesc], 1:5 gearing and 12s Graphene 15C 8Ah lipo.

Yeah unfortunately it’s -40% with my lipo. I wonder if there is a difference between lipo and li-ion at cold temperatures. I can imagine it’s even worse with Li-ion because of the metal but no idea.

Don’t worry be happy :grin: I wonder what’s your range in real russian winter like -15°C or -20°C, you’ll find out if you don’t freeze to death.

1 Like

February is usually the most cold month here. -20 till -30. hope till this time my new motor cans are delivered and I can drive again and find it out.

1 Like

I had my first couple of rides in 2019 within the last week and it was great, can’t wait for spring to come! The E-MTBoard fever is back in full effect, I reay missed it.

One thing I learned last year, always have spare parts if you want to continue riding. Beside all mechanical spare parts which I already had I bought a third SK8 motor for quick replacement when I need it. I hope to ride this season without breaks and anytime I want.

I want to do new things and break boundaries this year and first thing was to jump off ramps in skate park sideways which I never did before because I was too scared. It’s not really difficult but you have to jump off active and earlier than on a straight edge. On the first 2 attempts I touched the edge with the deck because I jumped off to late but then I got it and shot this short video without licking the concrete.

I’m planning to ride some MTB Trails and doing more crazy stuff soon. Also I want more airtime but trying to increase it very slowly because it’s really dangerous when it’s not within the skill level (guess why I know). Small steps…

14 Likes

2 Likes

Waiting patiently for some more of you videos in 2019! Let’s rock it :relieved:

2 Likes

Today I had the worst and most scary crash so far with the dirt machine. I was riding on BMX track but in Round 3 everything went wrong. I was riding faster to make bigger jumps and just when approaching a kicker the board went 100% throttle. I lost balance and made a quarter backflip in the air and landed on my shoulder and arm first, then the hip got compressed into dirt and stones. That was really painful and I thought I’m done. I was able to stand up and ride back home very slowly. I’m not 100% sure but I think nothing is broken. The crash pant saved my hip and the full body armor probably my shoulder, let’s see. Crazy thing is the graze below my elbow despite wearing protectors.

160611_v

What the hell was going on? I never had this issues with the steez remote so far and I don’t think it was unintended throttle by myself. It was instant 100% throttle, really scary. BTW it was fully charged.

I’ll change the ppm wires first. On my first esk8 I had similar problems with a GT2E remote/receiver. Randomly 100% throttle while riding, only stoppable by applying brakes, crazy shit. The ppm cables were quite heavy bent after the connector. I swapped them and everything good again.

Stay safe and wear protectors!

11 Likes

Board going full throttle by itself is my greatest fear when riding. One of the reasons I have the max speed limited to ~35kph on the VESC.

Glad that nothing worse happened. The bruise is pretty crazy considering you wore your protective gear.

1 Like

Damn it! Get well soon! Good to hear not more happened!

1 Like

Thanks guys!

True, I wore long sleeve, then protection vest plus a jacket. And my backpack has a hole now :unamused:. My hip is a bit swollen but no problem.

I checked the wires and they look good, not too much bent.

I forgot that this full throttle thing already happened twice. Once while hitting the ground after a small crash and once while riding a tiny berm in dirt park. In both cases I could lift the board in the air to prevent catching speed.

The problem is the cruise control function of the remote which gets activated by pushing the thumb throttle down. It should keep the speed but often the speed increases very quick. It happens sometimes that I press the throttle down unintentionally like on landing after a jump. In zero position it enters pairing mode and no more control. I can deal with that since I know just to push the throttle down again to get control back.

On BMX track the full throttle happened while compressing the deck down before take off. Maybe my thumb made a weird movement including locking high speed. It happend so quick but made me rotatng backward while flying forward, not a good feeling.

2 Likes

Be well mate ! Our games will anyway end up badly one day or the other !!!

2 Likes

Just came to my head, Any chance that the remote was on low battery? Usually it should just drop out in this case, but who knows. Did you check your fail safe settings too?

1 Like

Glad you good

I had this problem once with cruise control, the button got stuck pressed and I had to bail, turned that off as soon as I got home

1 Like

Very good idea but since I know how weird my remote can act on low battery I charge it after every single ride, it’s always fully charged. I want to install a bigger battery because it lasts only 40-50km (200 mAh).

Yes and just checked it again, it’s working like it should be. I also never had drop outs with this remote that’s why I trust it, a remote with drop outs is deadly.

I’m holding it like that, not really comfortable but I got used to it. Of course the goat leather on my thuimb is not the best for sensitive control but I love this gloves, saved me so many times (also look at the curbs on palm protectors).

The main problem is that I need the thumb to hold the remote, therefore it can happen that I push it down on rough terrain or jumping unintended. That never happened on flat terrain.

Which remote? By turning off do you mean in the software (Ackmaniac)?

I would like to have a switch on the remote to turn the push function of the throttle on and off but that seems difficult. I don’t know which connection it is and furthermore all is directly soldered to PCB.

I still have no idea how this accident happened and it was to quick to react. I had many falls but normally you see where you are falling so you can react. Flying in the air and don’t know where is up and down is scary. All you can do is waiting for impact, that’s it. I remember that I lifted my head to avoid any impact, that’s why my neck and shoulder hurts.

I just realized that this was the first real life test for the bull bars because the rear took the impact. Everything survived.

I have to hail once again @Nowind and also @Duffman :partying_face: I love every single E-Toxx part which made my board a better one, piece by piece. It totally changed my riding style and I really can’t destroy this drivetrain. Randomly I hit/slide curbs with the housing after a failed ollie or jump. Often it takes really bad hits where I think OK now I destroyed it or it’s shifted but this never happened.

And the helicals are epic. It’s so funny when people don’t hear you approaching from behind and are scared when I say “excuse me” just behind their heads. I need a bicycle bell on the finger or better a horn. Or speakers with a barking dog :laughing:

7 Likes

Mine is a custom Arduino based using a Wii nunchuck, how do you activate the cruise in this one?