DIRT MACHINE | Trampa Holypro 16 ply | Vertigo trucks | Superstar hubs | Unik Polaris 6374 150kv | E-toxx black direct drive | Vesc 6 | 12s

Jeez I forget that English isn’t your first language - it’s better than mine!! I really need to get my head around this my board sounds very ‘clunky’ and it can’t be good for it!

2 Likes

So there’s two races on a bearing.

The inner race, which rests against the axle, it is the smallest circumference ring of the bearing. If you place this onto an axle with space between them, the inner races of the two wheel bearings end up pinched when installed in a wheel without spacers after tightening. So a metal sleeve of the same diameter of the inner race is put between the two inner races of both wheel bearings. The distance between the inner race edges on standard skate wheels is 10mm. The distance on a superstar is 17.8mm.

Here is an example of bearing spacers on an axle supporting the inner race. The bronze is the inner race support spacer, this is inside of the wheel, where you cannot see 9a05b751b3da7122119b9c4bfcfc74887c7c973f_1_299x500

Then there is the outer race. This race is supported by the bearing slot in the wheel or hub. On trampa superstars there is a “plastic hub support spacer” while clamping doesn’t happen here too much, the plastic spacer is to keep the spokes from flexing in, and misalligning the outer race, from the inner race…

Hope that makes sense…

5 Likes

Well… shame on you! :joy: I’m really thankful @Deckoz explained it in real english and much better than me, thanks bro!

Example for the same thing (while i try to explain, Deckoz knows the vocabulary):

:laughing:

:joy: This is too funny!

I have another hint for you guys, some weeks ago I bought Hex Plus screwdrivers from Wera especially for mounting esk8 stuff. This was one of the best investments ever! It feels so much better than standard allen keys which you can throw away after tightening 2 grub screws. With this tools the head of the screws will last much longer and won’t get stripped like with standard allen keys. These babys I also carry in my backpack when riding, seems that they’ll have a long and happy life :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Lol.i understood yours perfectly fine man. Both are right. Because technically it is a ring. And the race(groove where the ball rolls) is a part of that ring. Just two different ways of saying the same thing broski :slight_smile: as, the ring/housing/race are all the same assembly or piece :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you visit a piercing studio and ask for “inner ring amongst the balls” I guess you’ll get something completely different :crazy_face:

9 Likes

I sincerely hope you’re not speaking from experience.

3 Likes

I have about 50 inner rings amongst the balls and additional some rusty. For 12mm. 9,525 and 8mm axle :laughing:

3 Likes

If anyone wants the regular style, these really are the best you can get and will save some badly worn hex bolts. $35.usd

https://www.amazon.com/Wera-05073593001-Multicolor-Metric-Blacklaser/dp/B07BNJQ8XM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524625426&sr=8-1&keywords=wera+hex+plus

2 Likes

I gotta say, if there is only one thread to read on this forum, it has got to be THIS ONE. So much info on just about every aspect of e-ATB’s out there. Huge thanks to @rich for starting it, and also to all who have contributed along the way.

Lovin’ this forum.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the excellent shitposting about fucking tubes and ball rings :smiley:

But seriously, very nice collection of information about all the small things one could easily forget about :smile:

1 Like

Yeap. I was trying to forget about the chatter regarding rusty balls and inner rings - sounds more like a slogan for the ‘blue oyster bar’ than terms used for e-ATB’s.

1 Like

Also a flat tire…hopped on, noticed some unusual resistance :sweat_smile: Have some ordinary white goo in it now…hope it holds.

Will see if the diyeboard tires fit once the rear tires are worn down. They might not be of a good composition as Trampa states, but they are made of a harder material and lasted more than 1000 km with a tire pressure of 7.5

1 Like

For hex keys I like the T-handles the best, nice balance and with the extra leverage and momentum they have you can give them a spin and screw in/out long bolts quickly. (or T-bar Allen key, what ever you want to call it)

5 Likes

The spokes can still flex a bit, which is important! No flex, would make them brake and bend. In consequence the gap between the bearings is not always the same, depending on inflation pressure. This is why we feed in a rubber O-ring, allowing to adjust the bearing spacers width by carefully tightening the wheel nut down.

Main purpose of a bearing spacer: clamping down the inner bearing race, preventing them from spinning. Axial loads will not be picked by that spacer, since the bearings can still slide in the outer bearing housing.

1 Like

Frank, thank you for clarifying this.

Thank you so much dude but this thread (and this forum) would be nothing without all of you! You are great!

True, I wonder what’s next :laughing:

What is white goo? I had sticky goo underneath my griptape btw

That’s a good point. Lucky that mine are matched to inflated tubes at 40psi :sunglasses: If something brakes I could switch back to o-rings.

btw do you still sell 17.8mm spacer for 12mm axle because I can’t find them in your shop, I guess this bearing support spacers were used before you switched to o-rings.

Looks great, too. This tiny ball seems fragile but I’m sure I’m wrong. With this ball you can screw the bolt from different angles or for which reason is it there?

I’m sure we still have some flying around.

1 Like

for naming conventions you could probably also go with mATB, motorized instead of electronic.

The foam stuff in a pressurized can.

Goo under your griptape?

:rofl: I’ve read a thread with a title like"how to remove sticky goo from deck after removing griptape". It sounds so funny that’s why I used this word.